When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling SuperOcean?

I was just reading by-tor's review of the breitling steelfish vs planet ocean.. and for some reason in that review.. he didnt mention any flaws of the steelfish at all compared to the gen.. the only thing he said was the misalignment of the bezel and luminous.. i mean this is a very minor problem that a naked eye cant really even spot.. unless you pay attention... my question is.. is it really that accurate? because if it is.. i will buy one :) thanks :) your reply would greatly be appreciated

The date font isn't 100%, either. I didn't mention that because when I wrote the review I didn't even notice it.

Other than that, it's pretty much spot on. It looks like the dial is available in 2 different variations... where the 12,9,6 markers are flat or glossy... but the jury is still out on that. Either way, it's definitely one of the most impressive reps I've seen.

the swiss has the right date font (or near as dammit from what i compared) and if you put the polished bracelet that is on most gens now, then glossy markers would work well.

in comparing when looking to buy i couldnt see any issues, but will have a closer look when my blue comes through from PT

seconded that it is probably the best rep at the mo - no blatent logo alignment problems or crowns falling off etc (just loctite the bracelet screws if you plan to wear it on that lol) and waterproof to boot. niiiiice.

I got my SF the other day from PT (which I was very happy with) and needed the bracelet reducing. I took it into several local jewellers who said they couldn't do it because of the make and advised me to take it to the local AD down the road, something that I naturally didn't want to do so obviously they were fooled. Eventually I found a local jeweller who was able to adjust the strap. After speaking to him and him asking me about the watch I told him it was a rep and asked if he had realised. He said that he thought the bracelet was not a heavy as he would have expected of a gen. Any thoughts? Is the bracelet the weak point of this watch?

i just purchased the swiss ETA version of the steelfish... wow means i didn't pick the wrong watch from what you're saying!!! ok bracelet problems!! it is loose i heard... is there anyway that you can wear it without it getting loose? because im planning to wear it everyday... if you tighten the bolt up properly does it come off by itself? or it doesnt?

The bracelet on these aren't overly heavy on the gen anyway. As far as scews coming loose, just screw them up tight when you first get it, and use some loctite.

im not familiar with loctite.. but i suspect its some kind of adhesive or glue? won't that effect the appearence of the watch (as the glue might get on the sides of the bracelet).. and also what happens when u wanna unscrew it? sorry if i asked too many questions :p... how heavy is this watch compared to subs or YMs?

im not familiar with loctite.. but i suspect its some kind of adhesive or glue? won't that effect the appearence of the watch (as the glue might get on the sides of the bracelet).. and also what happens when u wanna unscrew it? sorry if i asked too many questions :p... how heavy is this watch compared to subs or YMs?

I believe that the watch is heavier than the Subs and YM's. I am not going to bother with the loctite (yes it is a super adhesive primarily for metal threading applications) since I just ordered a gen rubber strap of Ebay. I got it for $69 which I think is a pretty good deal. I am going to order the fish along with a IWC Cousteau Diver (which is out of stock everywhere).

I believe that the watch is heavier than the Subs and YM's. I am not going to bother with the loctite (yes it is a super adhesive primarily for metal threading applications) since I just ordered a gen rubber strap of Ebay. I got it for $69 which I think is a pretty good deal. I am going to order the fish along with a IWC Cousteau Diver (which is out of stock everywhere).

if i tighten the screws they won't come off right? i prefer stainless steel over straps.. but if its impossible then im gonna have to buy the rubber straps.. but yeah.. i hope it comes through my order... i just paid today and still waiting for a reply.. so i hope they send it through tomorrow :)

To be safe and avoid frustration, head to the local hardware store and ask for LokTite. They have it in little tubes in the US and in Europe and probably everywhere. Get the kind that can be removed if you have to as opposed to the kind that is supposed to be permanenet.

Take the time to do this, apply to each of the bracelet screws and you are good to go. You will hate yourself if you loose any screws.

Usil

To be safe and avoid frustration, head to the local hardware store and ask for LokTite. They have it in little tubes in the US and in Europe and probably everywhere. Get the kind that can be removed if you have to as opposed to the kind that is supposed to be permanenet.

Take the time to do this, apply to each of the bracelet screws and you are good to go. You will hate yourself if you loose any screws.

Usil

yeah thats why im very concerned! if i lose screws!!! but like i said.. is it kind of like superglue? leave white marks on the bracelets? or u can wash it off with water? and another thing is i saw pics from trustytime.. and hell those bracelets looks very very confusing :S... but i guess i havent got the watch with me so i dont know.. ill find a way anyway :) but yeh ill get some loctite

It wont leave any residue as the screws are inside the bracelet, just dont squeeze it like a toothpaste tube :) The bracelets are fairly easy, remove two screws and a link comes away. You have to remove two screws per link though, due to the angle of the bracelet.

It wont leave any residue as the screws are inside the bracelet, just dont squeeze it like a toothpaste tube :) The bracelets are fairly easy, remove two screws and a link comes away. You have to remove two screws per link though, due to the angle of the bracelet.

thanks :).. i was at a hardware store b4 and i looked for loctite.. it says that the only loctite adhesive they have is loctite superglue.. is this what you meant? or theres diff types of it? do you apply the glue to inside the hole of the bracelet where the screw goes? or on the actual screws? thanks :)

Oh, just make sure you get LokTite adhesive #2053. Anything else will corrode and wreck the watch. The more you read this the more your realize I am full of crap. Just giving you a hard time man, lol. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh, just make sure you get LokTite adhesive #2053. Anything else will corrode and wreck the watch. The more you read this the more your realize I am full of crap. Just giving you a hard time man, lol. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thats cool... hehe.. thanks for the help man.. greatly appreciated... but i wouldn't even bother looking for the loctite now.. it is so freaking damnnnnnnnnn slow for this dealer im using now to reply e-mail, send stuff, the damn thing cant even speak english properly... i sent her the money 2 days ago.. and she still hasn't picked up the money yet :S... but i heard from people that shes very reliable so im not worrying tht much.. its just that waiting for it pisses me off :@....

i bought YM from andrew last time.. it took 4 days between payment till arrival.. now thats damn fast.. but the price is tooooo steep.. so yeh theres dealers review for u :p

Great watch!

the only flaws are; the lume, the bezel pearl is slightly different, and the the color of the blue dial is off, the gen seems a grey'ish blue...but all these flaws are minor, you would never be called out on it...

I can assure you that blue rep version look greyish as well. It all depends what angle you're photographing the watch from... it's the AR that creates the grey appearance.

I can assure you that blue rep version look greyish as well. It all depends what angle you're photographing the watch from... it's the AR that creates the grey appearance.

I have the blue dial version as well, it is a amazing rep, and have compaired it to the gen at my local AD, there is a difference in the color of the dial. its not a huge difference, but there is a difference.

....although it was the previous model blue dial SF that I looked at, so I supose its possible they changed the color of the dial for the current model...but I think only the bracelet was changed...

I have the blue dial version as well, it is a amazing rep, and have compaired it to the gen at my local AD, there is a difference in the color of the dial. its not a huge difference, but there is a difference.

....although it was the previous model blue dial SF that I looked at, so I supose its possible they changed the color of the dial for the current model...but I think only the bracelet was changed...

oh yeah i think i know what you mean mate.. i've seen it too :) heres an example ill show you :)... one series is called steelfish x superocean 586.. it does have a greyish blue.. it sells at $1875... and the other one is the 891 i think (the same but 891 has AR coating on the sapphire) which sells at $2066.. heres some pics to compare :).. is this what you meant?

255422-6572.jpg

255422-6573.jpg

oh yeah i think i know what you mean mate.. i've seen it too :) heres an example ill show you :)... one series is called steelfish x superocean 586.. it does have a greyish blue.. it sells at $1875... and the other one is the 891 i think (the same but 891 has AR coating on the sapphire) which sells at $2066.. heres some pics to compare :).. is this what you meant?

255754-6530.jpg

255754-6531.jpg

and i jsut noticed something.. in most people's reps.. they have the datefont correct except in 1.. and that is by-tor's... but he claimed that he got em from pt and in pt's site.. they all have the correct datefont.. so im kinda confused.. maybe someone can explain this? theres review by sd4000 saying that the new batch have the wrong font? is this correct?