When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK Patek Nautilus Jumbo

ubiquitous

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is like Deja Vu all over again.

Only it's not. I've sussed out where and how to get it, i'm merely asking Which colour dial his is! Blue, deep blue....

Does one have to grovel in order for your celestial selves to condescend to such a simple reply?

Sigh

I had the blue dialed one (kruz is the proud owner of that one now) and I now have the black dial with dotted chapter...

Blue/burnt:

212_1253.jpg

Black/dotted:

IMG_5465.jpg

When inquiring with Eurotimez, you might want to specify which Nautilus you are interested in. He has many variations; the best way to ensure that you get the one you want is to be specific and reference the exact piece you are after.

Good luck,

R

I had the blue dialed one (kruz is the proud owner of that one now) and I now have the black dial with dotted chapter...

Blue/burnt:

212_1253.jpg

Black/dotted:

IMG_5465.jpg

When inquiring with Eurotimez, you might want to specify which Nautilus you are interested in. He has many variations; the best way to ensure that you get the one you want is to be specific and reference the exact piece you are after.

Good luck,

R

Cheers bro! That's all i needed to hear!

Then I know where my next bonus will go....

Btw, I didnt see the size mentioned of the watch...it looked quite large in the pics in the thread (and it is called Jumbo as well!)

Is it 43 mm?

A good site to the different sizes is actually the official site of the U-boat brand http://www.uboatwatch.it where they show how a 55, 50 and 43 mm watch would look on the wrist. Unfortunately I cannot link to this pic, since this is in a flash-application.

Just look at one of their watches, preferably which comes in different sizes (you see this in the lower right corner) and click on the one of the sizes in the already mentioned lower right and you will see the illustration.

I took a screenshot of this and attached it to this post. I havent figured out how to show pics inline yet....

post-16394-1223557045_thumb.jpg

The Nauti Jumbo measures in at 42mm, but certainly doesn't wear that large. The case is relatively thin, which tends to make the watch feel a bit smaller than it's measured size may indicate. Also, that 42mm across is taking into account the hinge wings; due to the design of the case and how those hinges integrate, the watch looks more like a 40mm watch.

Fascinating topic, thanks !

I've been "in love" with the Nautilus for 10 years and actually tried on a gen last week, second-hand but seemingly new, asking price €17,800 negotiable at €17,000, nice gesture, eh...

Here it is Patek_Philippe_Nautilus_Jumbo_ref.5711_5351_1.jpg

So...it seems I'll be going the rep way for now!

I read the thread closely, impressed by the expertise and quality of the comments, it seems the source is now, not cheap but they appear to be of stellar quality, I'm confused though because I can't find the "Blue/Burnt /PP-NT-007 (PP0044D) and the Black/Dotted/PP-NT-010 (PP0044G) " references on the Eurotimez site, (ok they have separate listings for "standard" and "MBK" quality) I only see PP-001 to PP-005 and then PP-048. Can't say for sure if the gen above is the PP-001 or the PP-002 ?

If I may, I have a few questions on the MBW/MBK labels, for instance the one reviewed on replicawatchreport is an MBW, so not the one discussed here? They give it a good rating too but say the font of the date is off.

I understand I can't put the links here, but Google found me a "Nautilus Jumbo MBW Blue Dial with Asia Automatic Movement" for $138 and a "Nautilus Jumbo MBW Swiss ETA 2824 Movement" for $335 - They look pretty good to me, and maybe closer to the 5711/ss design with the 43mm case, anyone tried them?

Anyone know why MBK didn't go with the actual 3700 design (no seconds) or the actual 5711 with the 43mm?

Thanks !

Edited by webvan

Hi Webvan and welcome to the forum! The links you found are of the Chinese copy of the 'original' MBK. The MBK version is so famous and legendary, that the Chinese rep makers actually bought that one and then created their own copies using the MBK as a sample.

The Chinese one is nowhere close to the fit and finish of the MBK. The MBK Nautilus I believe is currently the best rep available in terms of sheer quality, and certainly worth its price tag. However these days MBK are supplying some of these with ETA clones, which don't boast the same quality and finish as their genuine counterparts. Unfortunately, the way the Nautilus is constructed is that there is no way for the dealer to verify what movement you will actually be getting, as the watch opens from the front and is not a straightforward procedure unless you know what you are doing.

Thanks for the welcome and the clarification. I'm a bit concerned by your comment that even getting an MBK at Eurotimez can't guarantee a Swiss ETA (the "ETA Clones" you mention are Asian movements I take it?), hopefully Eurotimez would have the expertise to detect that when they do their QC. [actually not, as clarified by "Eurotimez" in person here...As a side note, maybe a silly questin, but how do you get it serviced if it can't be opened ?

At the end of the day there is no way I'd be able to check so probably wouldn't know the difference unless the time is really "loose" and event so, on my gen Rolex 16200 it's not that accurate ! Still it's a bit worrying.

One last thing, and sorry if it's a bit OT, I didn't see it spelled out but MBK is from Thailand (?) and MBW from China ? What do the letters actually stand for ?

No problem :) Yes ETA clones are asian movements, they are copies of the ETA movements but there haven't been much reports on their reliability, but of the ones I have read, they have been positive, with most who own them reporting that they are running fine several months since after their purchase. The only thing which I don't like is that dealers are not lowering their prices even though several of them are aware that the watches are coming with these clone movements, though they advertize them as coming with genuine ETA movements :angry:

EuroTimez cannot absolutely guarantee that they come with genuine ETA, its because he knows the boss of the watch store that sells MBK watches, and based on their trust, he takes his word for it that watches sold to EuroTimez will come with gen ETA movements if thats what EuroTimez has been told.

These can be serviced, as they open from the front. The gasket is removed from the front by removing the screws that are situated in the hinges or the 'ears' on the sides of the case :)

I agree with you that even gens can be inaccurate, in fact the issue with these Nautilus for me is not whether they are coming with clones or not, in fact I'm sure there are several members out there who would happily pay a lower price for a MBK Nautilus with a clone movement, its the fact that these watches cost $450 and several are coming with clone movements worth around $10, if that in China.

MBK is the name of the shopping mall based in Bangkok. I don't know the name of the actual store in question, but everyone here and on the other boards just refer to the store as 'MBK'. MBW and MBK are the same, MBW stands for 'Marias Best Watch'. Maria was a dealer who received fame in the rep world because he (or she?) was the first to offer MBK Rolex watches which were known for their exceptionally high quality and their ability to take genuine parts.

Thanks again !

Wow that MBK/MBW situation is confusing, I thought MBK was one "maker" and MBW another one, it seems only Eurotimez has the "MBK" though and "google found" sites have MBW either with ETA or an Asian Copy, priced at $330 and $130 respectively. To make it even more confusing, the replicawatchreport mentioned the MBW as a good rep, maybe they meant MBK? My head is hurting ;-)

Also I must be missing something but if they can service the watch, why can't they check if it's a genuine ETA movement ? Is it when they got serviced that people found MBK were using ETA clones ?

Thanks !

MBK and MBW are the one and same. The term 'MBW' was more in use when describing these watches, so the term stuck, and I guess the Chinese rep makers decided to use the same term. But now its generally known as MBK (after the shopping mall the shop is located in) on pretty much all the forums, though some members still do use the term MBW, which of course theres nothing inaccurate in doing so.

Just remember that MBK and MBW are one and the same and you can't go wrong :lol:

The reason why you thought that the google found site was a MBW is because that dealer is inaccurately listing his watch as the MBW version. That is 100% false. It is a MBW copy, a rep of a rep in effect :lol: Some of the dealers tried that same move on this board but it didn't wash with a lot of members here, so they were told to remove MBW from the description.

The watches don't arrive serviced. The members who had unknowingly bought their Nautilus with the asian ETA clone movement found out when they took to get them serviced. Some of the members here sent their watch off to a master watchmaker, The Zigmeister, who is a member of this forum. The Zigmeister reported that some of the MBK Nautilus were coming with shoddy clone ETA movements made up with poorly finished parts. He had trouble regulating some after he had finished servicing, and if I recall correctly, he also had trouble putting one movement back together (don't quote me on this as I'm not 100% sure).

I do wish that the clone ETA movements didn't find their way onto the MBK Nautilus, totally ruins it for me, as a watch that is commanding $450 and is so beautifully made, certainly shouldn't be coming with a $5-10 movement, especially when its being advertised as genuine ETA.

Well thank you, that certainly takes care of my questions, just need to hear back from Eurotimez now, with the $500 asking price over there for an MBQ maybe he could start popping them open with his watchmaker, since he says he QC's them, but maybe that would be too much work. Is he pretty much the only source out there if you can't travel to MBQ in person ? If $450 is the price you can get over there then the premium seems justfified with his connections and QC.

Another gorgeous PP, in another style entirely, is the Calatrava 5127 and probably not too hard to rep, but don't see it discussed much...hehe I feel the bug is coming back ;-)

I read the thread closely, impressed by the expertise and quality of the comments, it seems the source is now, not cheap but they appear to be of stellar quality, I'm confused though because I can't find the "Blue/Burnt /PP-NT-007 (PP0044D) and the Black/Dotted/PP-NT-010 (PP0044G) " references on the Eurotimez site, (ok they have separate listings for "standard" and "MBK" quality) I only see PP-001 to PP-005 and then PP-048. Can't say for sure if the gen above is the PP-001 or the PP-002 ?

Oh, I found the references at Eurotimez "old" site (since I understand that there will be a "new" one shortly) that has both a "Catalog" and a "Dictionary" ("..."for prices & reference pictures of other watches not listed in our catalog...").

The references above I found in the Dictionary part of the site. A little confusing for me anyway, since it is unclear whether you can get these watches from Eurotimez or not. (there *are* prices listed there)

Yesterday when I scanned Precious Time

My understanding is that these references you had found are for "Non-MBK" version and likely the so called "MBW" that now appear to be Chinese copies of the MBK and that can also be found on sites like rolex2u (what's confusing is that the replicawatches review mentions MBW not MBK). I placed an order for the MBK with Eurotimez on Saturday asking for confirmation of this but haven't heard back since. He did say he was busy with a new site but just in case something went wrong with my order (it took a long time to post) I sent him an email yesterday.