When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A different sort of rep.

predfan2001

I've got the itch to ride. I've had several dirt bikes, but never a street cruiser. Not really knowing if I'll like a cruiser or not, I have narrowed my search to a new V Star 650 by Yamaha. Everybody I work with says buy a Harley, but I'm not really wanting to spend $18,000 on a starter bike. The V Star retails for $5899 brand new. I've been to the dealer and this is no small bike. It is low and wide. I really like the softtail rear suspension set up as opposed to outboard mounted shocks. I know the 650 is no power house, but the larger displacement V Stars look bulky. I like plain and simple, check out this picture and see what you think.

258864-5855.jpg

It's just a lowered V Star 650 with the turn signals removed and a custom seat. The guy that owns it says most people think it is a Harley at first glance, but not quite a replica is it. Not bad for less than $6000.

Edited by predfan2001

Go with the Yamaha, the HD crowd be damned. I ride a 1984 Yamaha xj750RL, lots of oompf without the worries of someone stealing it while I park it anywhere.

Take a rider training class, best investment you can do and great experience overall.

I don't think I would buy a Harley as a first street bike. Harley's make no street sense. You can buy something else with substantially more power and agility for half the price. Having said that, Harley's are as much lifestyle items as motorcycles. I own several bikes of which one is a custom harley. It gets ridden a few times a year. For any real riding I get on a more reliable and faster bike. IMHO, in a car brakes are your way out of trouble. On motorycles it is speed. Get one you are comfortable riding. My favorite bike for longer distance riding is a 1998 ZZR 1100. I fondly refer to it as the flying couch - too heavy, really fast and really comfortable. :lol: The Harley only gets pulled out for less than 2 hour rides and for bar hopping. Actually, I am getting too old for bar hopping. ;)

The Yamaha is one smart looking bike! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Reasonably priced as well!

I'm no street bike expert but have had the opportunity to take a couple of Hogs for a test drive....I found them to be too darn heavy. Of course, this is coming from someone that raced moto-cross a few moons where weight is your enemy.

Great choice. Nobody ever bought a cruiser for performance and handling. Oh, and the Yamaha may not have the torque of the Harley, but it'll have the horsepower, and it'll be affordable.

ps. V-Star (aka Dragstar) 650 has 40bhp and the bike isn't really built for over 80mph. The 883 Sportster produces 43bhp, so there's not much in it. These bikes are not really made for outright horses.

This is a good choice if you want to get back into the game... a Yamaha is a reliable, no-worries bike. Just what you need if you're not a hardcore biker...

A Harley is not bought for it's performance... as Harley builds very few models that can keep up with their Japanese counterparts in overall performance and in terms of value for money, unfortunately the only thing that speaks for them is their resale-value. It is in fact a lifestyle centering around tradition, great design&looks and a perfect marketing machinery. This may or may not be attractive and important for you. In any case - Harley has been around forever and you can still buy one if the fever's still there after a couple of years...

Just for the record: I've been riding for almost 30 years...and I do like Harleys...even though I presently don't own one...

Get the Harley

In 3 years time when you have got bored of the jap (or the harley) it will be worth nothing may be 30% of what you paid. The Harley will be worth 70/80% of what you paid, keep it 10 years and you will get your money back -plus. Want to do a bit of customising? The parts that are available for the Jap range is very small, for the US range it is extensive. Reliability (yes i know all about the older AMF harleys i have worked on enough of them) a new sporty or big twin left as the factory intended it to be will be very reliable, The only reason we still see bikes braking down is due to shoddy work by home mechs not the factory!

Price, go and look they are not as expensive as you think! especialy when you look at the reasons above. I wont go in to the lifestyle side of things, on that side of it as the t shirt says "If i have to explain you would not understand"

Get the Harley

In 3 years time when you have got bored of the jap (or the harley) it will be worth nothing may be 30% of what you paid. The Harley will be worth 70/80% of what you paid, keep it 10 years and you will get your money back -plus. Want to do a bit of customising? The parts that are available for the Jap range is very small, for the US range it is extensive. Reliability (yes i know all about the older AMF harleys i have worked on enough of them) a new sporty or big twin left as the factory intended it to be will be very reliable, The only reason we still see bikes braking down is due to shoddy work by home mechs not the factory!

Price, go and look they are not as expensive as you think! especialy when you look at the reasons above. I wont go in to the lifestyle side of things, on that side of it as the t shirt says "If i have to explain you would not understand"

Good point, but I live in what I would call "a Harley town". It seems like there are more hogs per capita than any other town I've seen. So the dealer here seems to take advantage of the craze. The only Harley I like is a Dyna called a Street Bob. It should sell for around $13995 retail. That's not even close around here. They want more like $17000. It's ridiculous. I've heard that they even have a little scam where they title the bikes, add accessories and sells them used for even higher prices. Something about Harley capping mark up and they get around it this way?? Just what the rumor is.

If I was going to spend that much I would go with the Victory Vegas 8 Ball (yes, I like black bikes). It is the baddest looking bike out there in my opinion and it does sell for $13995. But then again, I don't really need a 100 ci bike as a starter. See the 8 Ball here

I see your point about resell as well, but it stands to reason that you will loose a few grand on a new Harley if you go to sell it or trade it. The loss is no greater on the Yamaha. A used V Star in good shape with still bring $3500-$4000 no problem.

I guess I'll stick with the V Star for now, we'll see how is goes at the dealer this weekend. They also sell Victory so I think about the Vegas 8 Ball as well.

In 3 years time when you have got bored of the jap (or the harley) it will be worth nothing may be 30% of what you paid. The Harley will be worth 70/80% of what you paid, keep it 10 years and you will get your money back -plus.

Sure, a bike you can't afford today will still be unaffordable in three years time. :whistling:

The only reasons Harley Davidson sell as well as they do is because they're American. That's it, I've said it.

ps. You'll lose 3 grand over three years on the Yam and 3 grand over 3 years on the HD. Hmm ...

HDs are very reliable now, but Evos had their troubles. The only issues with the Revo is the rear cylinder running very hot, but this is to pass EPA.

There are actually a lot of aftermarket companies offering accessories for Metric Cruisers. Not as many bolt-on doodads as for HDs, but there are more every day.

I've ridden tons of HDs and customs, and they get old too. The shine rubs off of every penny eventually. Oh and don't sweat resale. That's the last thing to worry about when buying a toy. I know guys that boast selling their HDs for 80% of the purchase price WITHOUT factoring in the thousands of $ they spent on accessories.

Bottom Line: Buy the bike you want. Who cares what people think? I ride a VFR800, and I hear it all: Too heavy, not enough HP, not a HD, don't like the color, blah, blah, blah. Who gives a Schhite?

Ride for your the passion, not a synthetic lifestyle.

They also sell Victory so I think about the Vegas 8 Ball as well.

now there is some thing i want to have a ride on, saw a real nice example in Louisiana a couple of years ago, from what i have read totaly under rated!

Sure, a bike you can't afford today will still be unaffordable in three years time. :whistling:

The only reasons Harley Davidson sell as well as they do is because they're American. That's it, I've said it.

ps. You'll lose 3 grand over three years on the Yam and 3 grand over 3 years on the HD. Hmm ...

Pug they are not expensive, i bought mine when i was 21 and a poor earner, it is still worth what i paid for it including what i have spent on it, but all my own work, the time i wont get back.

... the pipe was hand-bent by Kaz Yoshima, and baby does she fly.

:tu:

I remember Yoshima pipes. They were great! I had one back around 1980 on my bike. It was really a radical departure from what was available at the time. I got pulled over frequently because the cops figured I had cut the stock pipe really short. The Yoshima pipe barely cleared my front footpeg and sounded really sweet. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 4 months later...

Well after months of thought about which motorcycle would best fit my needs, I ended up with the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.

112806_bottom.jpg

(not actually my bike but identical)

I still think the V Star is a very cool looking bike but the new Honda Shadow VT750C2 caught my eye last month. It has a 21" frt wheel and nearly the same dimentions as the Harley Dyna. I was a little concerned about the 750 having enough power to haul my heavy hiney around. I ended up at the dealer and found a beautiful blue VT750C2 and since it was a 2007, they gave me a great price to make room for the 2008s. The only thing I didn't really like was the shaft drive. Other than that, you can customize this bike anyway you want it (I was thinking flat black like the Harley Street Bob).

As I talked with the salesman, he said that if power was a concern I should look at the Vulcan 900 Custom (I had to have a 21" frt wheel-just my preference-and no touring bikes). The Vulcan was only a few hundred more and after sitting on it, it felt like it should have been thousands more. I'm 6'1" tall and this bike fits me well. It's big and brawny. The bike kind of reminds me of the Victory Vegas 8 Ball I like from behind. Because of that, I went with black.

So far I have no complaints at all. My advise to anybody wanting a little "weekend" V-Twin to relieve stress, get the Honda VT750C2. A heck of a deal for the $5800 range. But if you are concerned about power and the possibility of double riding or interstate travel, get the Kawasaki. And definately go with the big K if your a tall guy. These bikes are good commuter/pleasure bikes and real values. Also saves a few $$$ in gas.

I wouldn't recommend either of these bikes for people who think Harley Davidson is the only company that makes motorcycles or old guys that want a motorcycle that looks as big (and has as many lights) as a moving van. :p (just kidding, I know it takes all kinds ;) )It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride! :cc_scooter:

Edited by predfan2001

Guest watchbuff

Good choice. For starting out, value and reliability are essential. Remember, it's a toy and an expensive toy or inexpensive in this realm will give you the same grin when you twist the throttle.

No worries over resale. We dont buy toys for resale, it's for fun a losing investment but the return is not in $$$.

Guys that have to have a Harley usually end up getting a decent second hand one for less and end up evebtually buying new down the road if they think it's still worth it.

Well here she is....my rep...uh gen. 916 Desmoquattro DUC hand made in Bologna. Wayyyyyyy too much goodies to mention here. :rolleyes:

Runs like a finely tuned timepiece. And ohhhhhhhhhhh the sweet music.

1000023aj5.jpg

By watchbuff, shot with KODAK EASYSHARE CX4230 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-10-19

Hey I have an infinity for Kawa's, one of my favourite crashes was on one.

Ok it was a dirt bike but when you and the bike go 10 foot straight up and the bike lands directly on top of you, then it's the stuff of legends that you walk away without a scratch, one of my buddies had already set out to find an ambulance :D

Ken