When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM - too big?

uber2k

Hi,

At first i didnt like the Panerais, but after looking at pics and more pics of them, and being in need of a watch to wear with t-shirts and the like, im now ready to get one :)

Will they look too big on my small (6.3") wrist? As a reference, i have a Breitling Bentley GT (described as being 44mm, but the dial itself is just around 41mm) which i think looks normal on my wrist.

Also, i cant decide between a 111 or a 183, opinions? :p

Hi,

At first i didnt like the Panerais, but after looking at pics and more pics of them, and being in need of a watch to wear with t-shirts and the like, im now ready to get one :)

Will they look too big on my small (6.3") wrist? As a reference, i have a Breitling Bentley GT (described as being 44mm, but the dial itself is just around 41mm) which i think looks normal on my wrist.

whatever makes you feel good about it and gives you joy wearing it ... my buddy has a 6" wrist and he wears the 47mm PAMS,.. he wears it well too.. i guess it's whatever makes you feel comfortable ... I try too wear watches that make me feel good wearing them .. not what other people think ...(at least that's what i tell myself) ..LOL .... what ever turns you on ... Reps. sometimes are like some women .. good from far but far from good.

It also depends on where you're going to wear the watch. By that I mean, work, play, etc. A 44mm Pam on your wrist is going to draw a lot of attention in a work environment. I suggest a 40mm to start, if it's for work, and then think about a 44mm. I have a 7.5 wrist and own a 176h and it's still rather large. Just be forwarned, once you get one you'll be hooked!

PAMs always attract attention, and I'm guessing that a 44mm PAM will look a bit too big on your small wrist. So it might not be the kind of attention you want. Then again, I don't know what you want. In general I think most people's wrists are too small for the 47mm Fiddys - mine included, and so I've never gone there. But some people don't mind because they love the watch regardless. It's really up to you. Maybe you can find a dealer locally to try a couple on.

yes im looking for a 44mm, either a 111 or 183 or something similar. I like how my 44mm breitling fits me (its size on paper [Andrew's website] is 44.8/15mm against 44/14mm of the pam111 or 45/11 of the 183), so as long as the panerai doesnt look bulkier than it i'll be happy.

but since i cant try one in person, does somebody knowhow is the size compared to a bentley GT ? Thats the only reference i have :)

I have a bentley GT ...and it wears differently the GT is thicker and i wear it with a bracelet .. the 47 mm fiddy is thinner and flatter ... i've had one since the russian movements (same one on the RWG a long time ago sold in thailand for 35 usd... and it still runs great and i put it through the grind at work 24-7, i start my business at 1:30 in the morning and sometimes i am next to the ocean ... very dark ... i have gotten so used to the 47mm being so easily visible because every morning my workers have a deadline to meet ..

So for me it is not only how it looks but functionality ... i sleep with a 47 mm super lume militare marina .. because when the alarm rings at 12 am i hit the snooze .. so having the "big" dial that glows in the dark really is a life saver at times .. everyone is right though ... beware of the addictive kharma of the PANERAI...

I have a PAM 120 rep that is 40mm. After wearing it for a few months I got a Seiko Orange Monster for Christmas. Now The PAM rep seems small. I've decided to go for a 005 rep from Josh. I recently tried the real thing on at my local AD and it seems to be a much more reasonable size than it used to be. I have a 6.5" wrist, and when I first tried a gen Panerai on two years ago, there was no way it was going to work.

I guess that it's just a matter of getting used to trends. The cool thing about reps is that when huge watches are out and you can't believe that you actually used to wear something that ridiculous, you remember that you didn't spend $6,000.00 on it. For a couple hundred, I'm good with putting it in a drawer until they come back into fashion.

I've got small wrists...

I've got a tendency of getting smaller watches nowadays, but biggers are always welcome.

pls see photos. some say they don't look good. but I enjoy. you should decide it is good on you or not...

I think big watches doesn't look good on your wrist... Keep it up to 42mm with a max 44mm

If you wear the watch not very close to your hand, but a little further up your forearm, it will look less oversize.

BTW, on the omega and the fiddy: the omega looks really oversized, go with the Fiddy! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

With regard to the 183 which happens to be a gorgeous piece, be aware of possible L-T problems with the crown threads stripping. This is a common issue with the 183 otherwise I would have picked one up.

The 111 is a much safer bet as it has no crown thread issues. It is a big watch but I suspect you'll get used to it. :D BTW, my SO regularly sports a Pam 063 and loves it. She has slender wrists (uses straps that are on the thiiner side in a 24X22).