When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Car shopping -- need some opinions

Moze

Sooo I'm possibly looking for a summer ride. Sunny days, warm breezy nights, less traffic due to college students going home... I've been bitten with the new car bug.

It's been a little while since I've been shopping for a "fun" car, so I was hoping some of you might be able to offer some insight on cars to check out. I am looking for something sporty, fast and fun to drive. Is there anything new on the market? I like a mixture of horsepower, torque, looks and technology. Open to any and all suggestions... Thanks!

I'm surprised you even have to ask with a replica car dealer on the forum.... :whistling:

** NEW "BENTLEY FOR BREITLING" IN STOCK **

Enjoy the vision :victory:

264614-4771.jpg

Engine is an automatic, self-winding. Start at top of hill, you fine.

EDIT: NO AR COATING. Diameter is 1.5m. PUSHERS ARE DECORATIVE ONLY. NOT WORKING CHRONO. :rolleyes:

DBMWP - Dependable-Bayerische-Motoren-Worke-Person

;)

maxmsu: I see one of those at a dealership on my way to work everyday... Its actually a really good looking car. I wonder if its underpowered like the other cars in its class tho. I think I might check it out.

I think I should have been more specific, I'm sorry... Budget wise: I'm not really going to set a limit. I've driven cheaper cars which were an absolute blast to drive (S2000) and I've driven expensive cars which really just seemed overrated (viper AKA straightline monster but can't handle worth a damn).

I've had my eye on the 2008 M3, but it's going to be a long wait... even if I get on the list. I think I plan on staying with a smaller car such as this tho. Possibly even smaller: M Roadster, SLK55, etc.

I guess at this point, I'm just trying to brainstorm for some ideas. There's a ton of cars out there and I just need to narrow it down to a few.

Sure, the new Stang GT or wait for the new Camaro which looks fantastic! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Added: Since you seem to have a loose budget, I would seriously consider the Porsche 911, either new or slightly used. For the cash, this is a world class sports car that has few peers. Resale values speak for themselves on this guy.

3 Series BMW convertible, or coupe.

Perhaps the most beautiful BMW evermade.

Tourque!!! Fast...fun to drive.

hehe excellent suggestion. However, the 07 328i is my daily driver. :D

264799-4744.jpg

Sure, the new Stang GT or wait for the new Camaro which looks fantastic! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The new camaro looks promising... I wonder if they'll put out an uber powerful version. Also, those mustang roushe (sp?) ones look just mean. Haven't looked at em though because the salesman didn't seem to think the toyota I pulled up in, with my age, was worth his time.

If you are considering one of the above mentioned, I suggest you buy 2 or 3 Ariel Atoms instead..

That way you can take friends racing, and you'll smoke 99% of anything you encounter on your normal roads. ;)

If you haven't seen it, here a classic clip from UKs Top Gear, absolutely worth watching.

Ariel Atom tested on Top Gear

Jeremy Clarkson: "I AM AN ALIEN!"

Don't it look fun?! There's a US version of it, built in the states.

Search youtube for more clips of it.

264817-4739.jpg

Guest avitt

Since you're already in the BMW camp, and you like the M3, how about the new 335. That thing is loaded with torque, and is stinkin' fast out of the box. With easy mods (like a chip) it'll make 10% more HP. Handles great. It's about as fast as the last year's M3. Full of creature comforts, and is a comfortable daily driver.

Might not have the sex appeal of a topless roadster, but then again, you won't have to sell it at the end of the summer...

great suggestions guys... I'm trying to keep a running list. The miata -- I'm not sure I could do that... It looks nice, I guarantee its a blast but if I'm going convertible I'd have to grab something more guy-ish.

The 335 is an option but I think I'd be kicking myself when the M3 comes out for not waiting. That Atom is amazing... but I'd have to worry about getting it built, shipped, etc and I'm guessing that since the company is a staff of 7 that it might take some time.

Z06 is worth a look. I don't think I could do the Caymen tho. Last week I took an 04 C4S home for the weekend... Fell in love until Monday when I drove an 03 996 911 Turbo... :( No going back after that. I can't imagine forking up 80K for a 4 year old car tho...

Back to the budget question -- Due to garage space (or lack thereof) I plan on trading in the 03 SL55... I hope to maybe get close to an even trade, so something in that ballpark. I'm looking to get maybe low-60s trade in on that. If I can get the thrills for less, that's all the better.

That Atom is amazing... but I'd have to worry about getting it built, shipped, etc and I'm guessing that since the company is a staff of 7 that it might take some time.

You are in luck.. they make them in the US too :)

Jay Leno bought one!

The us version is made with up to 300hp engines.

US Ariel Atom

For what it's worth.. you'd be my hero for buying one. ;)

If I had the money to spare, and your kind of weather, I would already be driving around in one daily.