When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who likes it new?

Dizzy

One thing i dont like is a brand new out of the box unmarked shiny watch.. to me especially in the rep world it just SCREAMS fake. My ETA sub i wear daily is just beaten and dinged up and i LOVE it. My new Daytona i got is so clean and shiny i think that when i get home from work tonight i am gunna take a scuffy pad and a file to it :o

What do you guys prefer? New and shiny? or Old and beaten?

And then you weather your watch cases and bands, what methods do you prefer? I just use an sos pad and smack the case against the ground (concrete) or metal railings LOL... easy (take the movement out first though) hahaha

I love nothing more than a worn vintage watch because it has so much character and so many stories to tell.

If anyone has any pics of "damage" post them here!! I'll try to take some pics tonight and see how they turn out, but i warn you now.. i am a super noob when it comes to photographing watches :)

Yes patina is the way to go for vintage rollies; for sure.

It doesn't make sense to have a 30-40 years old watch that is new like a 2007 16610 :bounce:

For currently out models, well some wear signs are fine but deep scratches not.

Only my opinion though <_<

Cheers

Stephane

I always strive for a 'just returned from Rolex service' look. That is, gleaming, but imperfect.

Perfect lines and completely clean dials on a vintage piece always screams fake to me and it is hard to walk that narrow line between aged patina and battered & worn.

I agree freddy - imperfect but noy beaten is the best for me. Cheers

Patina for me as well but not a fan of beat up watches & prefer them to look as minty as possible. I have gens that are anywhere from 20-50 years young and outside of dial patina, all else doesn't look much different from the day they left the factory.

As to vintage rollies, an easy solution is to expose the matte dials to direct sunlight. It may take 2-5 weeks depending on the desired look but it works nicely and it's easy enough to do. Easy on the wallet as well. :thumbsupsmileyanim: The sharp case edges are easy enough to soften.

i guess i didnt really mean "beaten" badly but i like them to look as thoough they've been used daily. i agree it prob suits a sport watch better than a patek or something.. but there is nothing like an old sub or navitimer that looks like its had 20 or 30 years of service :) I guess i should have posted this in a diff area and not the rolex section. oh well im a rolex kind of guy anyways so its sorta the right area :)

I love when you guys build the old daytonas and sub/seadwellers and make them look vintage and worn. I cant wait to build my own!!