When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watches should I take for my cruise?

Jawo

Which watches would you pick?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your top 3

• HBB
    • Omega SMP Chrono
    • Omega Orange Bezel PO
    • Steelfish w/gen Rubber Strap
    • PAM111H w/HKTan Honey Croc Strap
    • Chronomat Evolution white face
    • IWC Cousteau Diver
    • Navtimer GMT World w/gen strap
    • PAM253 Regetta Flyback
    • Submariner Blue Dial (Summer Ed.)
    • Cartier Santos 100 Chrono
    • Montblanc Timewalker Chrono
    • Chopard Gran Turismo XL
    • IWC 3717 w/HKTan Leather Strap
    • Bentley 6.75 Copper Dial

I am going on a Royal Carribean cruise in a few weeks time. I will be headed to Jamaica, Haiti, Cozemel and a few more other places. From what I hear, the evening events are dressy so I need a couple of watches to impress. The daytime excursions I picked our are mainly water themed. I need to pick 3 watches to take down with me. I need 2 dress watches and 1 beach/water watch. This is an unbelivably hard decision for me. I have narrowed it down to the top 15 of the 25 reps I own. I really value the input of this forum and would like your opinions. Please state the reasoning for your selections.

Just remember, when you come back, you run the risk of having your reps seized by customs. Unlikely, but possible.

I heard that if I declare the watches in Canada of which I am taking with me, I should not have a problem coming back. Is this correct?

My friend I haven't let you down before and I wont do so now.....The Santos is a must for your formal evenings but for day wear go for the Orange PO and the Cousteau.

Cheers

Ken

Take a pic of your watches before you go.

Next to a newspaper or something showing the dates. Probably not necessary but if you're worried about customs it might come in handy as proof that you owned them before you left and didn't buy them down there.

PS Wouldn't say that Royal Caribbean is dressy as opposed to Celebrity or something like Silver Seas or Crystal (haven't been on either of the latter two) but that's besides the point because people will be dressed up and there's no reason why you shouldn't be "pimpin".

I would just take one for a couple of reasons. First of all, there is the customs issue. Secondly, there is also the issue of theft. They can't steal what's on your wrist without mugging you, but can easily take something from your cabin. Finally, one really good rep will never be questioned. Several high dollar watches on the other hand are more likely to be viewed as reps. I'd pick one watch that is likely to attract whatever level of attention you're seeking and go with it.

It's RCI, anything other than what is sporting a crown on it would be lost on most the clientele. Really want to impress the crowd? Carry a book thicker than the menu.

Don't wear it off the boat while exploring off tour or on your own - it's a invitation and it does happen.

Customs? You shouldn't have much to worry about with two or three watches. We once over bought booze and as we approached customs our porter offered sage advise; only offer information if directly asked.

If you want to play the game next time go Celebrity, Silver Seas, or Holand American. Where the blackjack dealer not only notice which watch your wearing but your cufflinks and shoes as well. VC would not be lost to them.

My friend I haven't let you down before and I wont do so now.....The Santos is a must for your formal evenings but for day wear go for the Orange PO and the Cousteau.

Cheers

Ken

Ken, I almost agree with you wholeheartedly. Santos (dress), Orange PO (sport) and 111H (for showing your tremendous sense of good taste). :-)

By the way, I just picked up a River 2-watch holder. GREAT deal for only $25 shipped. I just tested it with the Santos Chrono and the 177. No problemo. The Santos was a tight fit only because the band is so stiff, but it goes in with some "gentle" pushing. Get the holder and you have 1 on your wrist, two in your travel case which is LOCKED in your suitcase. Do they have safes in the cabins? Enjoy your cruise!

PS: don't know how seaworthy the PO is. I might be more inclined to trust the Fish or Sub since that helium valve is a bit dodgy. Love Subs but they're too popular. Hence: Fish after the PO.

It's RCI, anything other than what is sporting a crown on it would be lost on most the clientele. Really want to impress the crowd? Carry a book thicker than the menu.

Don't wear it off the boat while exploring off tour or on your own - it's a invitation and it does happen.

Customs? You shouldn't have much to worry about with two or three watches. We once over bought booze and as we approached customs our porter offered sage advise; only offer information if directly asked.

If you want to play the game next time go Celebrity, Silver Seas, or Holand American. Where the blackjack dealer not only notice which watch your wearing but your cufflinks and shoes as well. VC would not be lost to them.

There is nothing wrong with RCCL - Silver Seas (Radisson) and Holand American cater to - well, an older crowd.

Celebrity (also RCCL) nice food and service but if you want activity and life with a decent ship, RCCL is the way to go. I have been on the voyager and the ultra voyager - WOW

Radisson and - CRystal - and others though - they are a cut above the rest - thats a different type of cruise.

Personally, i have Celebrity/ Radisson tastes - but RCCL desires to go surfing and ice skating ect ect.

Exactly right about ucstoms, 9/10 you won't have to speak to a sole. If they ask - tell them you owned it. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON"T BRING BACK ORANGES OR FRUIT that will get you sent straight to jail :)

Ken, I almost agree with you wholeheartedly. Santos (dress), Orange PO (sport) and 111H (for showing your tremendous sense of good taste). :-)

By the way, I just picked up a River 2-watch holder. GREAT deal for only $25 shipped. I just tested it with the Santos Chrono and the 177. No problemo. The Santos was a tight fit only because the band is so stiff, but it goes in with some "gentle" pushing. Get the holder and you have 1 on your wrist, two in your travel case which is LOCKED in your suitcase. Do they have safes in the cabins? Enjoy your cruise!

PS: don't know how seaworthy the PO is. I might be more inclined to trust the Fish or Sub since that helium valve is a bit dodgy. Love Subs but they're too popular. Hence: Fish after the PO.

I know the Steelfish is supposed to be resistant up to 1000 ft according to our cartel friends. Joshua waterproofed my PO to 5 bars so I should be good there too. I love both watches.

I don't like to tempt fate of theft or customs so I usually wear my PO or 111h when I travel. I never take a second watch. I like the Ingy AMG Ti for travel too as it just feels very comfortable.

As a rule, don't wear what you would not mind loosing.

Usil

I always wear one and bring one. One is always more formal (leather strap) and the other more sporty (bracelet or rubber). I have had customs look through my stuff but only when returning into the home country. The simple answer "one for day and one for evening" is both convincing and true. :)

• 2 months later...

Okay, I leave for my cruise on Thursday. I have been really stumped on what to bring. I have narrowed it down to:

- Santos 100 Chrono

- PAM111H

- Steelfish

- Ultimate PO

- Cousteau Diver

- HBB

- IWC 3717

Still need your help deciding. I am only going to bring down 3 watches.

Thanks!! :rolleyes: