When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best possible for $4.000 or less

gran

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Gunnar

your bad luck... you has never contact me

building a Benzinger watch for a customer in 18k rose gold and one of Mr. Benzingers most expensive movement. FULL HAND MADE SKELETON AND ENGRAVED FROM MASTER BENZINGER

Benzingers price is over $12.000, but from me for nearly half price :winkiss:

look here

Sure looks great :wub: but again youre above $4.000 :g: ..stop tempting me tourby

How come no-one has mentioned a Seiko Spring Drive yet? :blink:

Now that is a great proposition :thumbsupsmileyanim: I will certainly consider the "SPRING DRIVE". I guess its around $4000 for a brand new one. Wonder if a SEIKO SPRING DRIVE or a CREDO SPRING DRIVE is the better buy or ven better the hand wound version :g:

269795-3801.jpg

A Credor Skeleton Manual Wind Masterpiece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbmKZ5JXyjo

Mixe3d opinion... I like it, but think it looks too much like an IWC to be 'unique', and as mentioned, the size might be an issue if you're someone who prefers 'larger' watches... For suggestions for others, had you thought about looking at Russian watches? www.rugift.com has some tasty watches of various styles and prices :) Happy Spending :)

Awesome watch, Dani, it rather reminds me of this one...

269802-3799.jpg

good input TeeJay :thumbsupsmileyanim: However nice those Russian watches may be (and the one you showed is a real beauty) I must admit that I am not likely to get one :)

Regards

Gunnar :)

269803-3798.jpg

Shot at 1969-12-31

A ZENITH certainly fils all the criteria I have :wub: Great suggestion as I have not been thinking abut that possibility. I am not updated on the ZENITHprices so I'll have to dig into that luisik..or were you proposing me to buy a used/vintage one?

The watch that has caught my eye lately as a daily wearer in that price range is the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Don't have pics but they cost around that and IMHO a much more elegant version of a Rolex Sub with vintages as the exception of course. ;)

Gunnar-

You always struck me as a JLC type though. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yes I am the AP JA, JLC , VC, OMEGA, IWC, LONGINES type of watch lover but certainly I love a range of different watches as well....for example the spring drive is something I crave :) I also have an inclination toward erotic watches as ;) and for some reason NIVREL has a certain attraction for me...as well as Svend Anderson watches...the list goes on

So hard to make a choice....but remember this is a watch I should be able to wear every day. I am a scientist and not a business/office man.. love the outdoors and even get my hands dirty now and then.... so that has to go into the equation when deciding on a daily beater

Edited by Gunnar Gran

Sure looks great :wub: but again youre above $4.000 :g: ..stop tempting me tourby

i have talk about 18k swiss case

a Benzinger in steel can build for $3.500 :bleh:

i order a movement from Benzinger (he get me special prices 50% under list) and take exact same case, dial, hands set, box and strap like Benzinger. He bought all his parts from same german factorys like me.

Buy the way... this Seiko looks nice... but the case of watch looks like on $100 Seiko watches :yuk:

Buy the way...

:lol:

You sure tempt me tourby but to make such a deal I would have to meet you in person...how far from my country do you live?....btw I love your accent ;)

best wishes

Gunnar From Norway

:lol:

You sure tempt me tourby but to make such a deal I would have to meet you in person...how far from my country do you live?....btw I love your accent ;)

best wishes

Gunnar From Norway

i see my mistake... by the way :whistling: not buy the way

sorry friend but my english is very poor... i wish this forum would be in german language. I have studied german and finish my diploma on german university... but never learned this English :wounded1:

WONDERING HOW ALL MEMBERS WOULD WRITING IF THIS FORUM WERE IN GERMAN :D

269965-3765.jpg

Shot at 1969-12-31

Wow I really want this repped lol.

I saw this watch on a guy at a cell phone store and just fell in love with it....

Unfortunately for me... There aren't many good zenith reps, but that is exactly what you are looking for. I would def. go with a Zenith.

Breguet Type XX or if you want the date, a Type XXI.

Nothing finer at that price point.

Totally different than the rest.

And of course, one of the very very best!

Breguet is one of the very best :) but the XX is not the watch i am looking for

@Kollektor

JLC is a good bet...most are 4.000+ but JLC is definetly something I like

@maxse

That Zenith is certainly high up on the list

@tourby

Your Enlish is so cute :p and the posts on this site would be so funny in German..or hillarious in French :lol:

I will be going to the Max Planck institute in Jena sometimes in the fall...will fly to BERLIN and rent a car and drive up to Jena..maybe i could meet tou on the way?

270009-3759.jpg

A ZENITH certainly fils all the criteria I have :wub: Great suggestion as I have not been thinking abut that possibility. I am not updated on the ZENITHprices so I'll have to dig into that luisik..or were you proposing me to buy a used/vintage one?

A new open class Zeneth is going to run you $5000-$12,0000.

Beautiful watch though. Zenith is going a little ape sh*^ with their newer versions of this watch. The latest look like something out of Captain Nemo's collection. These first generation designs are much more timeless.

Gran - My 2 favorite watches fit your criteria.

First, the Maxi Marine Chrono - someone posted some pics but there si a different model i like. I have seen this new on ebay for 4100

270069-3728.jpg

ANd this zenith, is wow awesome, i have seen it new for 4600, but usually closer to 4900-5300

270069-3729.jpg

That nardin though - first of all, you get one of the most exclusive watch collectors brands available. You get a tuff to rep movement cause of the 45 minute chrono- and you get a solid watch for any occasion that is elegant, classic and modern at the same time.

I have not tried on the nardin yet, but i can tell you that to try on the zenith is to fall in love with it. Its almost like wearing a grandfather clock on your wrist :) its big and just very sophisticated/ classic looking, it also beats at 33600 which is really cool.

if you wanted to go with that movement of the watch you posted on the first page, there is a longines, that retails for 2800 - you maybe able to find it cheaper. I like it, same movement as the other, omega also has this movement. I tried this one on, its really nice. i liked it in SS. Its also on the smaller side

270070-3727.jpg

if you wanted to go with that movement of the watch you posted on the first page, there is a longines, that retails for 2800 - you maybe able to find it cheaper. I like it, same movement as the other, omega also has this movement. I tried this one on, its really nice. i liked it in SS. Its also on the smaller side

270136-3720.jpg

Yes the LONGINES can be found for less

LONGINES was my first love when it comes to watches...I hade decide to start collecting vintage LONGINES watches when I stumbeled upon RWG I and fell in love with the variety and the hoopla there...have two LONGINES from the 60s one I inherited from my father :)

Still there is some special magic about the NIVREL that does not come out in the LONGINES version of the moonphase watches....but the size is probably too small as mentioned previously

The Maxi Marine Chrono is fantastic but I will likely never buy a UN....its simply not me...yet :rolleyes: but that 33600 beat is really cool. Love that.

@PUGWASH

That SEIKO is the most wonderful diver ever made :wub: (Did you hear that NANUG :1a: ) I guess its close to impossible to copy that smooth movement of the spring drive.... :lol:

@crystalcranium

An older version ZENITH is certainly better looking :wub:

G. :group:

Edited by Gunnar Gran

a gen aquatimer with a rubber strap retails for about USD 4200, but can be had for $3400 or so on the net. add about $800 - $900 if you want a ti bracelet

I am sure you know this, but you can get a nice vintage 5513 for USD 3100-3500 or so, although I know it doesn't fit your requirment for functions. You can also get vintage GMT's for a few hundred more.

I am not a huge breitling fan but i love this vintage watch listed here for USD3100 (first one listed):

http://www.watchtime.com.au/breitling.htm

I saw a version with a two toned bracelet and a gold case recently and it was stunning.

i have talk about 18k swiss case

a Benzinger in steel can build for $3.500 :bleh:

i order a movement from Benzinger (he get me special prices 50% under list) and take exact same case, dial, hands set, box and strap like Benzinger. He bought all his parts from same german factorys like me.

That's a tremendous bargain--does he only sell the "Unitas" movements to you, or can you source the old pocket watch movements as well?--In the March Watch Time Magazine they had a picture of a watch he made from an old VC pocket watch movement w/ a sapphire dial...amazing. Benzinger would have been happy to make me one for 11k in steel. I'd pay 1/2 that in 1 second.