When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"the first watch on the moon"

gran

272561-3301.jpg

"Interesting note concerning "the moon watch" :

The Omega speedmasters engraved "the first watch on the moon" are fitted with 861 movements , and the previous models have only the sea monster logo : anybody might think viewing thoses backs that the speedmasters fitted with the 861 are "the moon watch"

In fact NASA qualification took place in 1965 at this time the 861 movement was not available and the purchasing for the astronauts speedmasters where bought before the 861 introduction. So the Speedmasters of Apollo missions which goes on the moon where not equipped with 861 movement

Very curiously Speedmasters fitted with "the first watch on the moon" engraving are NOT the moonwatches , the previous ones without the engravings ARE the moonwatches ! , refer to the NASA section of this site for more details"

For sure at least the two models of Aldrin and Armstrong : 145.012 and 105.012 both fitted with the Omega 321 movement.

The 3 different types of Speedmaster known to have been worn on the moon are the 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012 all theses models are fitted with the Omega 321 caliber

Occording to Omega informations no other types of Speedmaster have ever been on the moon , excluding the theory of a Speedmaster powered by the caliber 861 worn on the moon (at least as an official watch)

There is no evidence of any Speedmaster 145.022 fitted with caliber 861 ever worn on the moon

http://www.speedmaster-mission.net/

Good to know GG.

Mine has never left the atmosphere either but the nostalgic kid in all of us can still dream. This is my gen with a display back circa 1999 fitted with an older 1171 bracelet and novelty NASA strap.

272569-3294.jpg

272569-3295.jpg

The "novelty NASA strap"... where did you source this item?

I just sourced myself a used Gen Moonwatch and would like to accesorize mine as such as well...

Any tips would be appreciated.

Oi,

A gentleman on Timezone custom makes these in several styles, a very nice chap BTW. Deltatahoe did a nice review here: Topic

Here's a direct link to TZ, but it looks like a lot of his hosted pics are down.

It's a fun strap to have on a Speedy -enjoy!

Sometime in the 1970s, Russian watch brand Poljot, made by the First Moscow Watch Factory launched a new chrono movement: the 3133.

It possessed a 23 jewel movement, manual winding (43 hours), it was essentially a modified Russian copy of the Swiss Valjoux 7734 of the early 70

Apparantly there was one other watch worn on the moon. On entry, one of the speedies exploded, so a backup watch was used. It was a Waltham. Although there is no evidence of the exact model, it was described by one of the astronauts as being very similar in style to the speedy. The waltham is now known as "the other watch worn on the moon".

Apparantly there was one other watch worn on the moon. On entry, one of the speedies exploded, so a backup watch was used. It was a Waltham. Although there is no evidence of the exact model, it was described by one of the astronauts as being very similar in style to the speedy. The waltham is now known as "the other watch worn on the moon".

But we do not know if its this watch

272821-3250.jpg

or this one?

272821-3251.jpg

or even if it may be this one?

272821-3252.jpg

Unauthorized Timepieces

Another irregularity that has come to light in the investigation of Apollo 15 was that Scott had on board two timepieces (a wristwatch and stop watch) that were not part of the normal mission equipment. During the preflight training period, Scott had agreed to evaluate these timepieces for the manufacturer at the request of a friend. Thinking they might be useful, particularly for the possible emergency timing of a manually controlled propulsion maneuver, Scott carried them on the mission but without prior authorization. NASA has deliberately withheld the name of the manufacturer of the timepieces to avoid commercialization of this unauthorized action.

I hate to repport this nanug but:

It is known that Jack Swigert with almost 100% certainty wore a Rolex GMT-Master on the abortive Apollo 13 mission. He was wearing two (2) watches in this flight. In footage shot during the Apollo 13 mission I've only seen the Speedmaster visible. But it is probable and likely that he wore the GMT under a cuff as there are pictures of him wearing a non-chronograph prior to the mission and two watches afterwards. Unfortunately Mr. Swigert passed away some years ago of cancer so we can not simply ask him... :bounce:

Edited by Gunnar Gran

I was watching the movie Appollo 13 on TV a couple of weeks ago (I forgot how good that movie is), and in several scenes you can see Omega Speedmasters being worn. I've had a hankerin' for a moon watch ever since, but I'll probably work towards sourcing a genuine Speedmaster some day. It will go nice with my genuine GMT master (one on each wrist) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm not sure how accurate the Apollo 13 film was as regard watches. It's a well known fact that Lovell used his speedmaster to time the engine firings that saved the craft but the other pilots, I believe, actually wore Rolex GMT Masters.

Jack Swigert (pilot on Apollo 13) had the actual watch he wore mounted and sent back to Rolex with his thanks. There is a picture of him and nine other Nasa astronauts on the wall in geneva all wearing GMT-Masters.

The story goes it was actually a mix up at Rolex which allowed the Speedmaster to be used by Nasa. Apparently Nasa phoned up Rolex in New York and asked them to supply 50 GMT's for the space program. At the time Rolex couldn't ship out that many from the states and only had a handful in stock. Understandably Nasa went elsewhere, hence the Omega's. Also understandably when head office found out they were less than happy with the New York management. Nasa had originally asked for GMT's because that is what all of their pilots were wearing both personally and occupationally. It was always the favoured watch of US pilots at the time. Also the first watch to break the sound barrier on the wrist of one Chuck Yeager.

That said, I still love the Speedmasters and Seamasters. It gets the most wrist time.

That's not possible since Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in 1947 and the GMT Master was not introduced until 1954.

You are correct, my mistake. I've just double checked my facts. It was a Rolex Oyster on his wrist (model not known by me). The info was sourced from 'The Best of Time - Rolex wristwatches'. He did indeed break the sound barrier on October 14th 1947. The information in the book is slap bang in the middle of the GMT's role for pilots in the space program. Sorry about that glaring error. I beleive the rest is correct though.