When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchsilix.com's AP Royal Oak

Victoria

As mentioned in another thread, Jay and Angela have two sites. One, on which Jay's reputation was made, is silix-prime.com. But there is another one, which obviously is where he chucks his super-bargains, watchsilix.com.

Placed two very nicely-priced, but not terribly authentic timepiece orders at this latter site, which arrived almost two weeks later. Decent, I'd say, considering I'm still waiting on the much vaunted Josh's order, placed three days before Jay's order. Such is the rep business, and the vagaries of EMS.

Anyway, one was a Rolex Daytona in black; the other an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak with working chronos.

I got the package, put it on a white towel, and opened it gingerly just like I read in forums to do, in case any pins fall off, etc. You can see them better that way.

Daytona was great from what I saw. Strap closed, nothing jiggled inside, and the time was easy to set. Sure, cheapo, but a good cheapo (so far).

And then I took out the AP Royal Oak from the plastic baggie...and it came apart like butter in my hands.

The buckle was broken. Jay asked me to wait two days for his quality control to vet these two watches, but man, wow.

It surely can't be a shipping prob, since the Daytona was unharmed whatsoever.

Here are some photos:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5347/si...brokenssyl5.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9257/cl...pflawap1ke0.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4641/sidebyside1cz4.jpg

Emailed him twice so far, and when I first contacted him, he was working late into Saturday night, China-time. No reply as yet, but I'm only hoping he'll send me a replacement of some kind, because for 61 EUR, it isn't worth sending back to China.

I will definitely work with Jay here, and have no wish to cast any aspersions on any reputable seller, but I am at a loss. Should I ask for another watch, or another bracelet, or what, given all that I've said above?

Okay, first semi-bad experience as a newbie rep collector. So far, awesome experiences from Andrew (who is a first-class gent!), and Paul (who is a super nice guy).

Hi,

good bargain if the buckle is replaced. BTW, isn't it just a screw missing, which you can get from one of the links you will probably remove to adjust the bracelet ?

I purchased from Silix twice. First experience without any single problem (a PAM 112), excellent value for money. The second arrived today, a Chanel for my wife. The chrono did not reset correctly, but it was easy to fix (quartz) and the deployant clasp is not holding well : here too, easy to fix, but basically this shows that the watch was not controlled when shipped.

Well, what to say ? Silix has very sexy prices, and as long as he's insuring a kind of aftersale service in such cases as yours, I would live with that. He's a known dealer and, even if things go slower, I am sure that you can't be scammed.

I bought several times from TT and was happy so far, but here too, sometimes there were small issues, also always quickly fixed by the dealer.

I just mean, such things unfortunately happen, and you know you have a good dealer if he's reacting after you mentionned the flaw. I do not expect 100% perfect watches anymore in the rep world, whatever dealer we speak of.

Check the link on the watch side and look whether it has empty holes where the pin should stay (unable to tell from the pics).

If yes, it's just a matter of a missing pin, you may ask Silix for one.

(I doubt that a pin from another link would fit, as the links close to the watch are of different sizes than those close to the clasp, and they have pins rather than screws).

Be aware that it will be a push-only pin: once placed, you cannot remove it.

If not, then it is a defective first link. You may ask Silix for it AND a pin, but I think you'd better ask for a whole watch replacement.

BTW, I may confirm that Silix is sometimes slow on replying, but he always comes through.

Hi,

good bargain if the buckle is replaced. BTW, isn't it just a screw missing, which you can get from one of the links you will probably remove to adjust the bracelet ?

I knew that question would be asked. :)

Unfortunately, and perhaps it can be seen in one of the photos, I think it that buckle link was not a screw type, but an ingrained pin type which resulted in a "clean" break. I have looked, and looked for any kind of fallen pin or screw in the packages, on the floor, inside the baggie -- nothing.

To me, this suggests that it was sent that way...which quality control failed to spot.

I could be and hope to be wrong, of course.

I purchased from Silix twice. First experience without any single problem (a PAM 112), excellent value for money. The second arrived today, a Chanel for my wife. The chrono did not reset correctly, but it was easy to fix (quartz) and the deployant clasp is not holding well : here too, easy to fix, but basically this shows that the watch was not controlled when shipped.

Well, what to say ? Silix has very sexy prices, and as long as he's insuring a kind of aftersale service in such cases as yours, I would live with that. He's a known dealer and, even if things go slower, I am sure that you can't be scammed.

I bought several times from TT and was happy so far, but here too, sometimes there were small issues, also always quickly fixed by the dealer.

Sexy is just the word for Silix's prices, especially in the lower-quality items found on his junior site. They were very hard to resist for those two specific watches. :)

On the other hand, and this is just a minor opinion, I notice a world of difference in customer service between say an Andrew and others. All very polite, helpful, and eager, Andrew for me at least, UNTIL NOW, has been a sheer dream to work with, going "above and beyond" in his trade.

I just mean, such things unfortunately happen, and you know you have a good dealer if he's reacting after you mentionned the flaw. I do not expect 100% perfect watches anymore in the rep world, whatever dealer we speak of.

For sure not! We all know that we are (1) dealing with a dodgy trade to begin with (2) it is out of the vendor's control what happens outside of his shop (3) and we should be patient in general, with anything coming from so distant away.

Having said that, this was to me, a disappointment that easily could've been rectified with a little closer inspection of said goods.

P.S.: Never told you this, but your "collection" photos of your watches were stunning, and cinched a few purchase decisions for me (the VC, e.g.). Thanks Pix!

Check the link on the watch side and look whether it has empty holes where the pin should stay (unable to tell from the pics).

I tried to make that part as visible as I could, but even with my nice digital camera, it might not show that it has no "hollow" end, where a pin might be screwed in.

It's a clean level break, leaving no hole in that end.

If yes, it's just a matter of a missing pin, you may ask Silix for one.

(I doubt that a pin from another link would fit, as the links close to the watch are of different sizes than those close to the clasp, and they have pins rather than screws).

Be aware that it will be a push-only pin: once placed, you cannot remove it.

If not, then it is a defective first link. You may ask Silix for it AND a pin, but I think you'd better ask for a whole watch replacement.

I already feel a newbie fool asking this, but that does usually mean one gets to keep this first watch? I don't want to send this one back for anywhere up to $20-$30 to China, but don't know what is the accepted custom.

BTW, I may confirm that Silix is sometimes slow on replying, but he always comes through.

I rather suspected as much. :)

The only problem with that, is that recently, on this or another forum, I pointed out one chap who had been waiting for a reply about his defective watch, going on 2 months. He immediately logged on, and wrote to that person that he was away from his business for a while, but that he was "back" now.

Let's hope in my case, it won't be 2 months to reply, because I'd faint. :)

Thanks, as usual, sssurfer!

I tried to make that part as visible as I could, but even with my nice digital camera, it might not show that it has no "hollow" end, where a pin might be screwed in.

It's a clean level break, leaving no hole in that end.

Ok. So you have either to get a new 1st link + pin, or a whole new watch.

I already feel a newbie fool asking this, but that does usually mean one gets to keep this first watch? I don't want to send this one back for anywhere up to $20-$30 to China, but don't know what is the accepted custom.
It never happened to me, but I heard that the collectors use to send you the new watch first, then when you receive it you send them back the first one.

If you don't want this, then I'm afraid your only option is getting the link+pin and have them mounted where you are.

As usual, you are welcome.

BTW, you seem to have a lot of experience, and your posting skills look surprisingly good both on quoting and pics, for a female apprentice... :g:;)

Also, don't you ever sleep?!? :D

Ok. So you have either to get a new 1st link + pin, or a whole new watch.

It never happened to me, but I heard that the collectors use to send you the new watch first, then when you receive it you send them back the first one.

If you don't want this, then I'm afraid your only option is getting the link+pin and have them mounted where you are.

Might go for this latter option, if he suggests it.

As usual, you are welcome.

BTW, you seem to have a lot of experience, and your posting skills look surprisingly good both on quoting and pics, for a female apprentice... :g:;)

I am naturally poised! I am also unbelievably modest.

Also, don't you ever sleep?!? :D

When you have 5 orders coming in from Chinese guys who don't exactly share your timezone, and you're asking questions/buying stuff every night, the answer would be a resounding, "No". :)

:D

If I had to choose, I would always go for getting a replacement part rather than a complete new watch, for obvious customs and costs reasons (you won't most probably get the shipping costs refunded -> that's in my opinion the "custom" in this business).

Maybe a brand new bracelet would be the easiest. I understood that getting spare parts always lasts longer, that might influence your choice as far as the settlement of the problem is concerned.

I also admitt that TTime is easier and faster in bringing a solution : you very quickly/easily get a discount or new watch. But at the same time, this has a price.

I have returned only one watch so far, that was to Andrew : I got my replacement very quickly, and I suspect he sent the latter before getting my "wrong" watch (it was a wrong caseback issue, not a broken watch)

:D

If I had to choose, I would always go for getting a replacement part rather than a complete new watch, for obvious customs and costs reasons (you won't most probably get the shipping costs refunded).

Maybe a brand new bracelet would be the easiest. I understood that getting spare parts always lasts longer, that might influence your choice as far as the settlement of the problem is concerned.

I also admitt that TTime is easier and faster in bringing a solution : you very quickly/easily get a discount or new watch. But at the same time, this has a price.

That's a good suggestion about Customs, and also I seem to remember that sometimes no matter how right you get an address, packages are mishandled in China.

I care enough about my own reputation, not to want people to think I gypped the guy, as well, by not sending it back to him (though it wouldn't have been my fault). On the other hand, if he sends me the bracelet or links, etc. and THEN it turns out the watch is a dud, would he be duty-bound to replace the watch anyway?

The already defective part doesn't inspire much confidence in the soundness of the timepiece...

Sorry if these questions have been asked by other n00bs. I usually do hit search, but I'm off to bed (at last!).

I have (fortunately) no experience in a watch breaking after a while . Usually the problem occurs immediately upon receipt or in the following days.

I have never heard about some kind of warranty, where the dealer would exchange a watch after a while. If that happens, I would just try my chance, not sure at all about the results.

I understood that your AP is quartz : so IMO there's no reason it shows any problem in the future if it's working correctly now. If the bracelet is of poor quality, it's likely to be the same on any replacement one.

Good night ! ;)

I have 2 of those AP RP chronos, and because of the integrated endlinks the first bracelet links are somewhat inflexible, I assume the watch was sent in the customary bubble wrap & padded envelope. All it would take is some very heavy package dumped on the envelope to break the bracelet, I'm sure this happened in transit.

Anyway, ask for new bracelet.

Too bad, I could have sold you one of mine for a very special female members price, pre-sized for slim wrist :)

I have 2 of those AP RP chronos, and because of the integrated endlinks the first bracelet links are somewhat inflexible,

EXACTLY.

I assume the watch was sent in the customary bubble wrap & padded envelope.
They were so-so packed. The others have come better packaged, and I'm told Joshua's is virtually unwrappable it's so thick.

All it would take is some very heavy package dumped on the envelope to break the bracelet, I'm sure this happened in transit.

Anyway, ask for new bracelet.

Too bad, I could have sold you one of mine for a very special female members price, pre-sized for slim wrist :)

Aww. Well the way things stand, Jay has not replied yet. We'll see...thanks anyway!

The only problem with that, is that recently, on this or another forum, I pointed out one chap who had been waiting for a reply about his defective watch, going on 2 months. He immediately logged on, and wrote to that person that he was away from his business for a while, but that he was "back" now.

Let's hope in my case, it won't be 2 months to reply, because I'd faint. :)

I was quite thankful in the begining that u brought this complaint to our attention, and I loged on right away and replied to the post. Honestly, I could not bowse through these forums that often, coz I am quite short on time, and do have a few close customers writing us if they see any issues on board that we need to address. And we really appreciate that. So I think it is being responsible that I logged on that forum right away when u told me about the complaint, and left message for the person. But the truth is not that we left the customer in cold for two months. If u want, we could dig into the case. I am quite proud of our good aftersale service, I believe u may have read many posts here or there on it. It is sad that u actually found this being suspicious, but I read it as any responsible dealer should do, whenever u find complaint from customer, act fast and solve the problem. And in ur case, we were slow in the bigining. If I remember correctly, u reported the problem on Friday ur time, unfortunately, we did not picked up ur email until late Saturday my time, I went hiking on Sat. But I replied right away when I read it, and we communicated back and forth with some pics, and we promised to send u a replacement strap today. Is that what has happened? And today, a good customer of mine brought this post to my attention, and I loged on immediately to address this complaint. Hope u do not think this is suspicious 2. I appreciate u bought watches from us, and we will do the best to make u happy with ur puchase. That's what we do.

If I remember correctly, u reported the problem on Friday ur time, unfortunately,

Hey, Jay. :)

(Just sent you a reply email, which I answered before seeing this)

Yes, I emailed you THE SECOND we got the watch, because I literally opened the package, took out the Daytona, put it on the towel, took out the AP RO...which then fell apart in my hands. The link was already broken. No pins or anything were noticeable inside the bag, or on the towel, as I noted above.

we did not picked up ur email until late Saturday my time, I went hiking on Sat. But I replied right away when I read it, and we communicated back and forth with some pics, and we promised to send u a replacement strap today. Is that what has happened? And today, a good customer of mine brought this post to my attention, and I loged on immediately to address this complaint. Hope u do not think this is suspicious 2. I appreciate u bought watches from us, and we will do the best to make u happy with ur puchase. That's what we do.

As I just mentioned in my email to you, I am grateful you are a serious rep dealer. I can vouch for the fact that though I did send off 3 emails to you Fri-Sun my time, you did eventually respond in good time, and with a professional solution.

Also, please note that though I was having "problems" with your reps, I did link THREE times to your watchsilix.com, when members requested a lower-priced rep site of confidence.

I wouldn't have done that without knowing you are a reputable dealer, confirmed by others in this, and other threads.

All will be well, I am sure!

It's pretty evident Jay has some serious issues with bracelet as i got a watch from him with a strap instead of the ss bracelet and i was told..."hey ..no problem i can send you a new shipments, cost on you of course, and it could take long long time cause it's not simple getting spare bracelet".

Good for you all went well in the end.

Edited by ryaku

It's pretty evident Jay has some serious issues with bracelet as i got a watch from him with a strap instead of the ss bracelet and i was told..."hey ..no problem i can send you a new shipments, cost on you of course, and it could take long long time cause it's not simple getting spare bracelet".

Good for you all went well in the end.

Wow, sorry to hear that. He does read this board, so maybe he might reconsider.

A few thoughts -- maybe by posting this, it forced his hand with my item. Or maybe he feels you didn't make it clear with him before, that you wanted an SS bracelet instead of a strap (not saying that was the case, but who knows what goes on in a dealer's mind).

The two other times this happened to me, with Andrew, and my mother with Joshua, we got it no questions asked, or charges submitted.

I know I've been singing Hosannas a little too often to Andrew and Joshua here of late, but honestly, if I can spare ONE newbie the teething troubles I had in my newbie rep career, I'll feel it a public service on my part.

Go with the best guys. Pay that extra $20. It's SO SO worth it.

Wow, sorry to hear that. He does read this board, so maybe he might reconsider.

A few thoughts -- maybe by posting this, it forced his hand with my item. Or maybe he feels you didn't make it clear with him before, that you wanted an SS bracelet instead of a strap (not saying that was the case, but who knows what goes on in a dealer's mind).

The two other times this happened to me, with Andrew, and my mother with Joshua, we got it no questions asked, or charges submitted.

I know I've been singing Hosannas a little too often to Andrew and Joshua here of late, but honestly, if I can spare ONE newbie the teething troubles I had in my newbie rep career, I'll feel it a public service on my part.

Go with the best guys. Pay that extra $20. It's SO SO worth it.

Thanks mate,

there's nothing to reconsider but the way of doing business.

As for the possibility of being not enough clear.....no way, i wrote it twice and though i'm not english mother tongue i guess my language knowledge is good enough for ordering a watch. ;)

Moreover i'm a ss bracelet guy and it wasn't a detail for me that's why i underlined my specific request at least 3 times.

I well know it's always better being very clear with asian dealers but that's not a case of misunderstanding.

But what [censored] me off a little it's not the mistake itself, we all know here those are common and frequent mistakes, it's the way they try to solve the problem.

I fear it's not a simple mistake but a deliberated move (no dropshipping, in their site you can see pics of the watch they shipped to me, i can see the same crooked marker at 6 o clock... funny they told me twice there was a problem with quality control): ship the watch though it's not the requested one and then wait and see the customer reaction.

I waited almost a full month for the watch and i got a watch with the wrong strap and not for my fault.

Though mistake wasn't mine I asked Jay to ship me the bracelet at my expense, paying the difference wasn't a big deal considered he had been always very kind.

After the new payment for bracelet and shipment cost i was told it would take much more time to get a spare bracelet.

Much more time than 1 month i already waited to get the watch... i suppose 2-3 months then.

Couldn't he just take the bracelet apart from a watch with bracelet??!!

King solved a similar problem in 10days (i mean i got the spare part in 10 days from her).

So far not a great service nor price at the end for me.

Thanks mate, [...]

So far not a great service nor price at the end for me.

That's my worry with another dealer.

As I said in another post, it's interesting to see how a dealer behaves not when things are going right (I find that all the ones I've dealt with have been almost UNBELIEVABLY polite by Western standards. That is really refreshing, especially if you've ever dealt with tetchy vendors in NYC, or even London, you know what I mean?).

The clincher comes when things go wrong. How do they behave then? I suppose in your particular case, you have your answer.

By the way, the only thing which prevents me from ordering from King, is that I believe emails are very slow on her end, and my personality is just not suited to that. I like to buy something, and in one or two emails, have the transaction over and done with. They don't bother me, and I won't keep bothering them.

I'm happy to report that's been the case with Andrew and Joshua (with my mother), WITHOUT exception. The others...not so much. But at least I wasn't given the runaround with Jay. Again, that's just my example.

Sorry for your bothers, ryaku. I will send positive energy your way so that you don't have probs like this again. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Victoria

It would be cool to see the pics of the watch(es). Imageshack has removed the images :crazy:

Ack! (goes to check)

Hmm, well they worked for me just now, Eunomians. Try clicking on them again, see if maybe they were overloaded at that moment...although I do know there is a max quota of around 100MB transfer? I forget.