When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ti PAM's

Watchmeister

In the mood for a Ti PAM. Opinions are sought from the PAMaholics. I have not bothered with pictures as you know them all anyhow. Here is what I am considering and what I know:

PAM 036 (Josh) - Probably best of the bunch. Killer crown, properly sized crown guard and lever. Original rep bridges which look out of place on every other rep are accurate here as that is what the original came with. Only issue I am trying to figure out is "L Swiss L" versus "T Swiss T". Rep says "L Swiss L". LaCote clearly shows "T Swiss T". Panerai website looks like "L Swiss L" but it is difficult to make out. As most who are bothering to read this thread know, 036 was a 1998 special edition and there were only 30 or so made. Paneristi claims they came with tritium markers and lumed hands. Does anyone know what the dial should say? Also I like the brown dial. It looks pretty accurate from the pictures. Do people agree?

PAM 118 (Josh) - Looks like it has same great crown/CG combination. Has the more common PAM engraved plates on the movement with those infuriating bolts showing slightly on the bridge. Clearly "L Swiss L". It looks like the rep has a brown dial but slightly different brown from the 036 and I don't know if that is correct. Paneristi shows it with a brown dial.

PAM 177H (Numerous dealers) - The bummer is that the crown appears too thin from the pics. Movement is the new CDG format. Black dial.

Gentlemen, I'm only good for one. Which one?

Thanks in advance. :)

If you can pull off a $15,000 watch, go for the 036. Spot on. No recessed pin.

I'm thinking about the same purchase but am leaning towards the 177 with sandwich dial. If I went that route I'd get some of the modded hands that one of our dealers has available.

I'm not buying any watch until I can get a 45mm PO with ETA and curved and engraved bracelet.

On VP, the dial for 036 shows T Swiss T, and then again, if I recall correctly, I remember seeing a Paneristi posting his 036 with L Swiss L. Hmm....

I am not too well versed with this model to give a valid input.

From VP Reference model section (PAM 036):

35141-39502.jpg

Here is the picture from Panerai's website on the 036:

35146-39498.jpg

If you blow it up, it looks like L Swiss L. It gets more intriguing as the 036 has tritium markers but Lume hands so they can call it whatever they want. If I knew L Swiss L was accurate I would probably pull the trigger. Do people agree that the 177H has an inferior crown to the 118 or 036?

036:

35146-39499.jpg

177:

35146-39500.jpg

Hi Kruzer and Chronus,

no knock on Joshua and other dealers, but there are few versions of the 036. Josh's, also, I think among others, have a ever so slightly misaligned dial. It is just off by a tiny few degrees, but if you are nick picky, then that may not be for you. I was doing my research a while back, and really was so close on pulling the trigger with Joshua's. But eventually backed away simply because I thought about the dial long and hard, and know that the dial would bother me enough. Otherwise, the 036 that Joshua sources, it is so good, that you don't have to do much work with the crown, or the pin. I evnetually settled with a different version of the 036, and am just taking the time to get the pin fix, and hoping that Tommy's revised pam crowns will work out, that I can source a Ti crown to fit on my 036. I do like the 177 a lot, since it has a sandwich dial. The brown dial is really something different on a Pam though. It gives you a different feel. If you feel ok with the dial issue, Joshua's is the one to get, definitely...... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hmmmm... Not sure which caseback could be used... This would be a tough one since the 40 had a production run of 200 pieces, and finding a back with this kind of milesimation could be tricky. Maybe you could request a caseback from David with the milesimation engraved as such, or get one without prod. numbers engraved?

35153-39497.jpg

I found a photo of a 036 from one of the timezone post. since I do not want to steal the photo of the faithful paneristi, I will just post the link of the post below. But as you can see, it does say TSWISS T on the dial. If anyone can actually validate the L SWISS L dial on a gen 036, it would be interesting to know.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...897#msg_1880909

I had an 036 from Joshua, but unloaded it after my second daughter was born. I miss that watch. It was a thing of beauty! The AR on the brown dial--just stunning. As someonoe mentioned the dial was slightly, very slightly misaligned. Gen is T Swiss T. Rep is L Swiss L. Other than that, a very accurate rep.

Man I miss that watch.

Climb on.

Don't bother with the 118 . . . nice rep 1 1/2 years ago, but the CG, CG lever and crown are pretty outdated. There may have been an update but not on any dealer pics I've seen. The tobacco dial is accurate though, so that's not the problem. If you can source 036 or 177 CG and CG lever for cheap it might be worth considering.

I do like the AR (ok fake AR) on mine. Why can't the makers just put AR on all the reps instead of playing this "sometimes/sometimes not" game? What does it add, like a dollar to the cost?

The 036 was produced with both T SWISS T dials and L SWISS L dials.

If you want brown dial I would go for the 036...

If you want black dial I would go for the Base 176H (or 176 if you dont like sandwich dials)

Edited by veni12

• 3 weeks later...

Resuscitation of an older thread.

Kruzer, what did you decide on?

My 036 will be on it's way from silix sometime soon.

I'm also thinking of getting a 176H sometime in the future.

Less itchiness during the summer with a titanium watch. I hope it has a display back though.

oops, didn't see this thread when it started..

the pam036..mixed feelings, great crown and CG..but the dial is misaligned and a pam36 i bought off a member was actually DOA cause the hole for the seconds hand was touching the tube of the seconds hand..had to find another dial for it..

did anyone say pam40?

51437-36139.jpg

51437-36140.jpg

not very accurate but will do it for me(for the time being..)

• 4 weeks later...

'm currently unable to decide wether to go for a PAM 61 or PAM 177 (no sandwich).

How are the numbers on the 61, they look a bit yellowish compared to the white of the 177 ?

Does someone have pics of these, the dealer pics look nice, but I want to seem them in 'real' everyday style pics.