When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my first genuine watch

deltatahoe

like so many others here, i've been interested in watches since i was a little kid. however, my interest in watches has grown immensely since a year or so ago when i started poking around the web looking for a decent replica breitling watch and found RWG. at this point, there is no denying the fact that i have a serious watch addiction :wounded1:

so it didn't come as a big surprise that i eventually became interested in a unique, genuine watch like the sinn u2. i started tracking ebay and TZ for prices on a lightly used u2 several months ago, and finally snagged a sinn u2 in like new condition for a nice price a couple weeks ago.

buying a used watch online was a little nerve racking -- similar to waiting for that first rep to arrive, but with significantly larger dollars at stake :o. however, the watch arrived two days after making payment, and everything about the watch was in perfect condition.

i absolutely love the watch -- it sits really nicely on the wrist, has an easily readable dial and simple design, the thick rubber strap helps keep the watch nice & secure, and given it is made out of submarine steel, it's virtually indestructable (unless of course your wife attacks you with an explorer 1 rep).

anyways, enough discussion about the watch -- let's see some pictures :D

276767-2325.jpg

276767-2326.jpg

276767-2327.jpg

276767-2328.jpg

and finally, a wrist shot

276767-2329.jpg

to anyone considering the sinn u2, don't think twice about buying one -- it is a really nice piece that will probably never be repped (argon filled submarine steel case, dehumidifying capsules and relatively reasonable genuine price are all deterrents).

thanks for looking :victory:

deltatahoe

ps, did anyone notice something odd about the first picture? see my thread here for the answer and a discussion

to anyone considering the sinn u2, don't think twice about buying one

My problem with this is the same as with Slytech watches or car branded. I could never cope with people saying "I luv that Bono as well" even if it has nothing to do with U2!

It's a beauty and if it were available without the name on the dial I'd lust for it.

My problem with this is the same as with Slytech watches or car branded. I could never cope with people saying "I luv that Bono as well" even if it has nothing to do with U2!

It's a beauty and if it were available without the name on the dial I'd lust for it.

Puggy... why do you let the absence of brains in some people's heads influence your decisions.... :whistling:

@delta ... this is one beautiful watch and expecially looking at all the superduperreallyexpensive gens (like submariners, to take another diving gen as an example) out there, it is great value for money.

@delta ... this is one beautiful watch and expecially looking at all the superduperreallyexpensive gens (like submariners, to take another diving gen as an example) out there, it is great value for money.

this was one of the things that pushed me over the edge -- i feel like this watch is really good relative value. where else can you get a genuine diver rated to 2k meters with a GMT movement for less than $2k?

deltatahoe

DT, what a great timepiece.

If the U2 was a "Tier 1 brand" model it would be a $4-5k watch. I think Sinn and Oris are some of the best bang for your buck brands out there.

Enjoy it!

-TMG

this was one of the things that pushed me over the edge -- i feel like this watch is really good relative value. where else can you get a genuine diver rated to 2k meters with a GMT movement for less than $2k?

deltatahoe

Fantastic watch which I wish I could have afforded over my U1.

Another issue with these watches is the finish on the strap. It has a sort of titanium look finish on it which wears off pretty easily. Leaving you with shiny areas which stick out like a sore thumb. Not a problem if you've got the rubber strap (I have both) but annoying nevertheless. Hardly what you'd expect of a tool watch.

Also I don't know what the lume is like on your U2 but it's pretty weak on my U1- an area of improvement for Sinn I think.

I'm thinking about removing the top side AR as well, it marks too easily and mine now has a scratch in it as alluded to at the top of the thread. Winds me up every time I see it.

While I'm on a roll my U1 isn't that great a time keeper either, certainly no better than some of my more accurate reps it gains about 5 seconds a day.

If all this sounds like I've got a downer on Sinns then you'd be wrong. It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse and for

Also I don't know what the lume is like on your U2 but it's pretty weak on my U1- an area of improvement for Sinn I think.

the lume on my u2 is actually really good (it's super luminova), it's definitely similar to my pams. white super luminova is just a bit less luminous than the greenish (c3, i believe?) super luminova; i wonder if that is why you think it is pretty weak...:g:

Top watches and just in case you ever damage the crystal I got a quote from Sinn for replacement-

Regarding the lume it's not so much the tone of light more the fact it seems to lose luminescence after a 3 hours or so. Maybe the lume on the U2 is better or I just got a stinker?

interesting. i'll remember to take a look at the staying power of the lume on my u2 this weekend -- it should glow forever after being outside on a boat all day.

fwiw, i checked the watchbuy's website re: the lume on the u1 and u2; both descriptions say that they come with super luminova.

deltatahoe