When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rec'd my riveted Oyster today

I received my riveted Oyster in the mail today. For the money, this is a very nice piece; very high quality and good construction. However... A couple of interesting bits about this bracelet.

I first recall seeing this bracelet on an Eddie Lee vintage Daytona I picked up about 2 years ago. The bracelet is of rivet construction, folded/rolled hollow mid links, and a very difficult method in the resizing process. Links are held together by screw pins with dual ends; this is somewhat similar to the old Panerai Pre-A buckles for those familiar with them. Those were the ones where 2 screwdrivers and three hands were needed to undo the pin (one screwdriver would hold the pin still whilst slotted in the head, and the other would turn/break the lock free). After some time spent, I was able to finally get this one resized. Definitely an exercise in patience... :lol:

Anyhow... On with the pics.

36053-39293.jpg

36053-39294.jpg

36053-39295.jpg

36053-39296.jpg

36053-39297.jpg

36053-39298.jpg

36053-39299.jpg

They do look the same, I've got one from WM and it's nice, but Randy, the auction picture is the same the mine and Chris, but yours is different. On the inside links have breaks, it's like each piece is folded (is this why they are called folded???). I think that feature some people are after.

Let me know if I am wrong guys

This is a folded link, there is a gap, hollow portion of the link:

36315-39251.jpg

This is the reason it is called folded, they fold the matal over, instead of it being solid the whole way through.

Chris

Edit:

If you lok at Randy's 4th pic, you can see they are identical.

Guest avitt

@abakan, you're right. Ubi's is unique, because of the folded (not just hollow, but folded) links. Trusty (and TTK, at one point) did offer these on the "Robot Watch" seadwellers.

I have bought the exact same bracelet from the same source. I must say I didn't realise it was Homer or I would have asked for a discount!!!! Anyhow for the money this is the best and most authentic folded link rivetted bracelet I have seen.

However when I fitted my to my 1665 the top link of the bracelet is wider than 20mm and consequently the rivet heads catch on the inside of the watch case lugs. Also the number is incorrect (1635. It would be nice if 7206!!).

So I removed the top link, and the second link becomes the top link. At 19mm (not accounting for the rivet heads) this is much closer to the original rivetted link bracelets. Take a look in "Vintage Sports Rolex" and you will see. Now it looks visually perfect but removing the top links are not easy until you figure out how they go together and even then it's quite fiddly.

All in all a well made authentic looking bracelet at a good price. And Nanuq I did give you the source in the previous thread on 5517 straps. :yeah:

not to be off topic, but...

why arent the old (non-rivetted) (9315) rolled bracelets rep'd? or should i say, not rep'd yet?

i have trying to find one 9315 RLX or TUDOR bracelet for some time... and they go for $500+ on the bay! i found a broken one on there twice... and also found a tudor 9315 that was perfect, but went for sooooo much...

how we can talk the rep makers into making these available? would be a great option for MBW/WM versions...

EDIT: i started a new topic regarding this post of mine: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=3771

Edited by poopypants

I have a couple of genuine vintage rivetted Rolex bands at the house, but I don't recall them having the little inside rolled piece on the hollow center links. Guess I'll have to get out the screwdrivers and go looking. The two bands that I have certainly are flimsy mothers! Amazing that Rolex could get away w/ that crap in the early 60's!