When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chocolate or Vanilla?

freddy333

Tony -- My original plan was to do a 6241, but fate stepped in -- DW sent me the wrong bezel (metal instead of plastic) & case (a 6239 -- twice) and after trying the 6239 combination out, it started to grow on me. And then it occurred to me that there are fewer Newmans floating around with silver bezels than black. So I am wondering if that, alone, may give the watch a bit more credibility. What do you think?

Guest avitt

While I do like 6239's (I'm leaving the door open to building a white PN...I've got everything except the movement), I prefer the black bezel with your tri-color dial.

Yes, I agree completely.

But I am not talking about adding anything that is not normally seen on a gen Newman. Of all the gen Newmans I have seen with black dials, most have been the black plastic bezeled 6241 models. I have only seen a couple of the silver metal bezeled 6239s. Although my original plan was to build a 6241, after seeing how the 6239 combination looks, I am no longer quite sure which model I prefer. At least with the black Newman dial, which is why I appreciate your comments.

Any others?

On the black lizard strap, it HAS to be the black bezel (6241). Nothing less will do.

With apologies to BMW, it is the ultimate timing machine

279148-1694.jpg

But on an oyster, the case is less black and white (no pun intended).

It would look something like this (though I would probably fit a folded link 7835)

279148-1695.jpg

The thing I find appealing about the 6239 (on an oyster) is that it is slightly stealthy. With the matching (to the case and oyster bracelet) silver bezel, the watch calls less attention to itself. At first glance, you might even miss the Newman dial (ok.....so maybe not, but you get the idea). And I think that gives the watch more credibility. On an oyster, the 6239 just looks more like a tool watch.

And, to be honest, after seeing Avitt's stunning 6265, it was impossible not to consider the silver bezel option.

As far as interchangeable bezels -- Well, if DW is ever actually able to get me the correct (6241) case (he just sent me the 2nd 6239 case by mistake), I will have a 6239 case & a 6241 case. But I only have 1 gen crown and 1 gen T21 crystal (I have additional generic parts for the 2nd watch), which will go on whichever of the 2 cases that ends up being my Main Squeeze. That way, if I feel the need to change, it is an easy job to shuttle the movement over to the other case for a night on the town.