When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It Looks Like PAM's Are The "It" Watch in the Hamptons

Watchmeister

I have noticed 6-7 new PAM's on people's wrists in my office building. This is not meant to imply there is a major trend or anything but I was curious what spawned this. And being the loquacious (read as chatty) person that I am I have been asking people how they heard about them and decided to buy them. In 3 out of the 7 cases they all had run into other people wearing them in the Hamptons thought they were cool and followed suit. They were all mid-30's or less. I suspect those "people" they are "running into" may be folks like Ralph Lauren. ;) In another 2 or 3 cases the wives who were out there for the Summer had bought them for their men. Very generous - I wonder what they bought themselves. :lol: So it looks like PAM's are increasingly becoming the "summer" watch.

There still is no stock in the local AD's other than the Ferraris so people are going to great lengths to get these watches. :g: By the way with the number of Ferraris I am seeing at the AD's I am wondering if they were a bust.

All this talk lately of AD's not being able to keep them in stock makes me think of buying up the local supply and selling to the foreigners at a mark-up; after all, nobody locally seems to know the brand so the AD's here should have a few in stock....

What is the Hamptons, kruzer?

About the Ferrari: I guess they have been a flop. I think I have a decent taste and I would not wear one. To have one in my collection, maybe -- but to wear it, definitely not.

What is the Hamptons, kruzer?

On the off-chance this was not tongue-in-cheek, a primer. ;)

The Hamptons are the collective name given for an exclusive area in the east end of Long Island -- most famously Southampton, birthplace of Jacqueline Kennedy, but who lived most of her childhood in neighbouring East Hampton. Notorious for their "WASP", high-society, ultra-exclusive tone, recently a younger hipper crowd have taken faster to the Hamptons like a thirsty P. Diddy to Crystal.

(In fact, I believe he owns a home there now, an unthinkable state of affairs just a decade ago)

The nightlife in the Hamptons has also benefitted from this crowd, and right now, it's the most happening place in the summer in the whole of the US (including my own neighbourhood, South Beach).

The Hamptons are vaguely analogous to Palm Beach, but the latter is a much narrower island, whose high society is as old as the hills, if equally deeply anti-WASP/Old Guard. That's also the case in the

The Hamptons are vaguely analogous to Palm Beach, but the latter is a much narrower island, whose high society is as old as the hills, if equally deeply anti-WASP/Old Guard.

Erm, by that I mean they are against people who are NOT white, and well-heeled, not that they're against people like that, as my odd syntax made it seem. ;)

Exactly, the Hamptons are the chic summer playground for New Yorkers and now a substantial portion of Hollywood. In"olden days" it was the summer enclave of the old guard and year round residence of many artists and literatii. As usual the "immigrants" soon followed suit when they had amassed money. Stooping to gross generalizations (but they are not far off), many years ago the towns further away from New York such as East Hampton, South Hampton, Montauk etc. were where the old guard had their family houses. The newer wealth groups quickly started developing the towns closer to New York such as West Hampton. The Hollywood migration began about 20 years ago when Steve Spielberg bought out there shortly after his initial wild success and the acquisition of a killer apartment in New York. Once Spielberg was there large numbers of Californians followed suit.

On the Kobolds and Clinton, ever since he got the speech thing going and got a taste of the good life he has been a watch fanatic. Prior to that he wore simple inexpensive watches. I have seen him with two different PAM's on his wrist and he supposedly owns several of those.

Prior to that he wore simple inexpensive watches. I have seen him with two different PAM's on his wrist and he supposedly owns several of those.

From what I've seen, serving US Presidents don't like to wear fancy watches. Once they're out of office, all bets are off. :D

On the off-chance this was not tongue-in-cheek, a primer. ;)

The Hamptons are the collective name given for an exclusive area in the east end of Long Island -- most famously Southampton, birthplace of Jacqueline Kennedy, but who lived most of her childhood in neighbouring East Hampton. Notorious for their "WASP", high-society, ultra-exclusive tone, recently a younger hipper crowd have taken faster to the Hamptons like a thirsty P. Diddy to Crystal.

(In fact, I believe he owns a home there now, an unthinkable state of affairs just a decade ago)

The nightlife in the Hamptons has also benefitted from this crowd, and right now, it's the most happening place in the summer in the whole of the US (including my own neighbourhood, South Beach).

The Hamptons are vaguely analogous to Palm Beach, but the latter is a much narrower island, whose high society is as old as the hills, if equally deeply anti-WASP/Old Guard. That's also the case in the

Wow, 22 lines of clarifications about the Hamptons. Thanks, V & W.

About the kobolds, I only knew them as Magic The Gathering cards...

Or at least, if they are M:tG cards, they were introduced after I finished working at Wizards of the Coast ...

In this case it's quite a while you finished working at WotC :)

Red weenies.

Well, if anyone wants to trade some reps for a lot of MtG cards and decks, here I am... :D

Exactly, the Hamptons are the chic summer playground for New Yorkers and now a substantial portion of Hollywood. In"olden days" it was the summer enclave of the old guard and year round residence of many artists and literatii. As usual the "immigrants" soon followed suit when they had amassed money. Stooping to gross generalizations (but they are not far off), many years ago the towns further away from New York such as East Hampton, South Hampton, Montauk etc. were where the old guard had their family houses. The newer wealth groups quickly started developing the towns closer to New York such as West Hampton. The Hollywood migration began about 20 years ago when Steve Spielberg bought out there shortly after his initial wild success and the acquisition of a killer apartment in New York. Once Spielberg was there large numbers of Californians followed suit.

Well said, too!

Personally I feel the Hamptons lost their tone when Edie Beale and her mother sold Grey Gardens. No more STAUNCH people. ;)

On the Kobolds and Clinton, ever since he got the speech thing going and got a taste of the good life he has been a watch fanatic. Prior to that he wore simple inexpensive watches. I have seen him with two different PAM's on his wrist and he supposedly owns several of those.

Indeed. Wasn't there a link posted on here or on the other forums, which showed Senator Clinton and he inside a diner, choosing her campaign tune? He was wearing a humungous PAM with a short-sleeve guayabera (I don't like that combo, actually). He also likes Roger Dubuis, I've read.

I for one can still remember that plasticky black crappy watch he wore, the Timex Ironman...which incidentally as most people know is the $50 watch worn by our current prez.

I like that, actually. Yes, it shows that they're trying to be a man of the people, but better that, than Berlusco and Putin with their ridiculous $500,000 watches.

Ex-presidents also earn a lot after they leave office. That is certainly the case with President Clinton who charges $50,000 and up for an appearance. I daresay he can afford to leave that Timex well behind! :)

I had no idea Clinton even set foot in Martha's Vinyard.

Yep, he got the taste for it after visiting Jackie Kennedy's home there one summer (God, all roads lead back to that incomparable woman, don't they...).

Back to Kobold--great watches. Was pining for one before I fell into this odd little hobby of ours.
Love to buy my boyfriend one! I'm also thinking of getting him a Nixon watch, which is the next best thing amongst the in-crowd, though still cheap at the moment.

Some good info; thanks for sharing!

Ditto! Loved the F. Scott Fitzgerald mention. :victory:

Pug-

You never cease to amaze me. Although based on your knowledge of Magic Cards, etc. that makes you either 15 or 50 (i.e. you are either recently retired from the game or one of those parents who has [censored] away god knows how much money on those damn cards). :lol:

I worked at Wizards of the Coast from 1993 (or 1995 depending on when you count it from) to 1998, and we set up the UK office for them. I sold my M:tG collection (including 8 Black Lotuses) and bought a Ducati 748 in 1998. Hasbro bought WotC the year after I left, which was good for me (25 shares, yay!), but if I'd have stayed, my options would have netted me a five-figure sum. Still, no regrets as it was fun and I still have a lot of friends in the industry and I travelled all over the world with WotC.

About the Ferrari: I guess they have been a flop. I think I have a decent taste and I would not wear one. To have one in my collection, maybe -- but to wear it, definitely not.

Indeed... they are not comfortable! My AD told me they found out at Panerai as well and where planning a 40mm model alrteady. The lugs stand out to straight... a 44mm Panerai sits perfectly comfy around my wrist, but a 44mm Ferrari sits crappy around the wrist.

Let's wait for the 40mm models, because they look nice... and where repped very well !!

I did talk to a few salespersons at various AD's (Tourneau, Alpha Omega etc.). All of them had maybe one or 2 Pams, that was it.

They all told me PAMs were very popular in the US, but they only get very very limited quantity of watches. They said most of them go to the european market.

They did have the PAM Clock, too. But at over 1k and with only a quartz movement, I dont think its worth it! It would have been nice with a cal. 240

and btw. they all thought my WM was a 50.000$-historic PAM! I could try on ANY (!!) watch, even though I dressed in heavy worn shorts and t-shirt (maybe it was a polo, dont remember). I think I spend more than 2 hours at Tourneau

Yep, he got the taste for it after visiting Jackie Kennedy's home there one summer (God, all roads lead back to that incomparable woman, don't they...).

Love to buy my boyfriend one! I'm also thinking of getting him a Nixon watch, which is the next best thing amongst the in-crowd, though still cheap at the moment.

Ditto! Loved the F. Scott Fitzgerald mention. :victory:

Your timing is impeccable. So yesterday I wandered into an AD (with my AP RO under my cuff) in order to buy the wife a gen ladies' watch. When we discovered that the watch she wanted didn't look as nice on her wrist as it did in the advertisements, they pushed the Nixon watches on us like there's no tomorrow. Must confess that they looked very cheap and unappealing to me. They have this rectangular men's ceramic white ~45mm watch that looks like a 70s television set. Pretty ghastly if you ask me. Very surprised to hear that these things are considered chic. On the other hand, my wife thinks my AP looks like an experiment gone wrong in the 1970s so perhaps I shouldn't be one to talk...

Yes, F Scott was brilliant. Ever read his short stories? Some of the all-time best I've ever read.

Hey V-

Why wouldn't you walk into the Worth Avenue Tourneau with Reps on? I do all the time. And they ooh and aah. ;)

Wow, really? My mother was the first one in the family with a rep (Rolex DJ no bling), and though she's the type of person to make OTHERS feel 1 inch tall, they spotted the fake just like that. She was fine, but I would've been mortified.

Mind, this was in the late '90s, when reps were more shall we say, Cro-Magnon.