When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first gen...

Marc283

Hi all,

So I was thinking about buying a gen watch.

At first I wanted to buy a Tag Monza, but that could not delivered right away. So the thinking and doubting went on and on. Went to al the watch store here in the city. Then I went in one of those stores and my eye fell on a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. I wanted the 45,5mm, black bezel and white numerals. This watch wasn't in stock but could be ordered en should be in stock within 2-3 working days. I said ok. But then the price negotiating began. It didn't mather what I said but I could not get more than around 8-9% off the retail price. So the Planet Ocean didn't fit in my budget anymore as I was hoping to get a discount around 20%. I was a bit dissapointed, because another AD in town was clearing Omega stock with a 30% discount, but over there where no Planet Oceans in stock and they could not order anymore (because Omega don't want them anymore as AD).

But I really liked the Breitling Superocean Steelfish also. So I tried this one on and asked for the price. And the negotiating began again. After some talking back and fort I got around 10-12% off and decided to buy it.

It's a real nice and heavy watch (228 grams). The big black box is really nice too. So I wil be wearing this a lot. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It was fun to shop for a gen watch. Will do it again I guess sometime in the future.

post-615-1184532287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marc283

Actually, once a year my local Breitling AD does a 30% off sale.. I got my Steelfish for about $1700 after taxes and such. But that's a nice choice. The rep is good, but if you know what to look for, you can spot it in under a second.

Thanks all for your replies.

@ z80: Actually there is sale now in my country. I only found 2 Breitlings on sale. It was in another store (not where I bought mine). But they where around 12-15% discounted. And no Steelfish :( .

Awesome choice....I bought the Ivory version off of Timezone for a great price, only to find that it wasn't the 45m version, but the 42 version. I did use the rep brown strap with the watch (until I can afford a gen leather strap) and looks awesome !

I think the 42mm is the Superocean and not the Superocean Steelfish wich is 44mm.

I measured the thickness and it is 16.2mm. But I don't know how accurate my measuring tool is (it's kind of a cheap one).

I think the 42mm is the Superocean and not the Superocean Steelfish wich is 44mm.

Wish i had a pic with me, but I don't. My dial looks exactly like the 44mm. I know that they advertised two watches - Superocean Steelfish and Superocean Steelfish X-Plus. I would think that the 44mm is the X-Plus version.

I'm not a Breitling expert....so I could be wrong....

Wish i had a pic with me, but I don't. My dial looks exactly like the 44mm. I know that they advertised two watches - Superocean Steelfish and Superocean Steelfish X-Plus. I would think that the 44mm is the X-Plus version.

I'm not a Breitling expert....so I could be wrong....

Found a quick reference....in 2005, Breitling revised their SuperOcean with a new dial. Then, in 2006, they introduced their 44mm version calling it X-Plus. The link below shows the blue dial, but I have the Ivory dial.

Breitling SuperOcean 42mm

@ triplehd: looks like your right. I only knew the Superocean with al the numerals on the dail instead of the 12, 6, 9 layout. But I purchased the Steelfish X-Plus. Mine is absolutely 44mm.

@ krustybrand: I'm with you. I don't know at which age I got interested in watches, but since I got interested, Breitling always drew my attention. I was never was able to purchase 1, but finally I managed to get a hold of 1. Although I'm also a big fan of Panerai, but they exceed my budget at this moment. I also looked at Oris because some of their chronos are powered by the legendary ETA 7753. But I chose my Breitling.

Edited by Marc283

@ triplehd: looks like your right. I only knew the Superocean with al the numerals on the dail instead of the 12, 6, 9 layout. But I purchased the Steelfish X-Plus. Mine is absolutely 44mm.

Yep, you got the 44mm no doubt. Great choice....just wish I had the 44mm instead of the 42mm.