When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix is ready to Sell them

klingsor

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are all waiting for the words from silix and final pics, asian would be good because of the slow beat, nor to mention a bit cheaper than eta

Yes, the movement is stable and quiality is good. And the price is unbeatable, US$58 plus shipping, all models. Thx.

I think we are all waiting for the words from silix and final pics, asian would be good because of the slow beat, nor to mention a bit cheaper than eta

Yes, the movement is stable and quiality is good. And the price is unbeatable, US$58 plus shipping, all models. Thx.

I sent them an e-mail also, but I don't expect to hear back for awhile. I'm sure they are absolutely flooded with e-mails about this, and they aren't the fastest at response.

I would be in for a UK group buy, as the price is excellent, but an emergency yesterday meant I had to take one of my guinea pigs to the vets to get broken teeth removed, and that cleared out the last of my money till I next get paid. If there'd be one of the Submariners with numerals left in two weeks, I'll definitely buy one. (Watch at the top of this picture) I don't like the bezel insert, but know where I can get a correct one for that model watch...

283080-10220.jpg

If there'd be one of the Submariners with numerals left in two weeks, I'll definitely buy one. (Watch at the top of this picture)

Ahh, I thought you had inadvertently answered my question -- about which version I should choose, as most authentic to the time period and 007 -- but no! Turns out Sean Connery wore this one in Dr. No, which will be my choice:

283148-10197.jpg

So thanks for nothing, TeeJay! :p

P.S.: Sorry to hear about your guinea pigs.

Ahh, I thought you had inadvertently answered my question -- about which version I should choose, as most authentic to the time period and 007 -- but no! Turns out Sean Connery wore this one in Dr. No, which will be my choice:

283300-10080.jpg

So thanks for nothing, TeeJay! :p

P.S.: Sorry to hear about your guinea pigs.

Yes, that might've been what Connery wore, but, in the novel of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Fleming wrote that Bond's watch was a 'Rolex Oyster Perpetual' (no mention of Submariner, and, for someone who wrote precicely what Bond ate/drank/drove, I think that is crucial in meaning that that wasnaming the watch, rather than describing it. In another chapter, it is said that Bond looked at 'the large, luminous numerals'. The only watch which had 'large, luminous numerals, and only had Rolex Oyster Perpetual on the dial, was the 6200, circa 1953. In 1955, they attatched then name 'submariner' to the watch...

Indeed, the guinea is fine, her teeth will have fully regrown in two weeks, it was just annoying that she'd snapped the two top teeth off, as that meant the bottom teeth also needed removing, so they'd grow back evenly. Had it only been one tooth (of either set) it wouldn't've required a trip to the vet. Oh well, that's the responsibility of being a pet owner :)

Here's a picture from when we got her last year...

283300-10081.jpg

Can you share your source with me TeeJay?

Thanks!

Indeed,

ClassicWatchParts.com

:)

The bezel its self is more of a problem

Indeed. All the more reason to just buy the watch from Silix, order a new insert, and swap them over :) I had planned on grinding down a Sub's crownguards to make this case, but, if I can just buy one with a suitable case, that saves me a load of work. I'll just use the other Submariner to make a Tudor :)

Holy crap those inserts are way expensive...at that point it may be cheaper just to buy an MBW vintage.

Expensive, but accurate...

Besides, when the watch itself is this cheap, why not go crazy on the extras :thumbsupsmileyanim:

283342-10035.jpg

This is actually the one that Connery wore in Dr. No...

283342-10036.jpg

Unfortunately Silix's version not only has the depth in white, 200m does NOT equal 550ft. Also it has the numbers...not the dial markers as the one Connery wore.

283342-10037.jpg

Kind of hard to justify spending so much on a bezel when the dial is so far off...

Edited by Keyhole

This is actually the one that Connery wore in Dr. No...

283356-10033.jpg

Are you sure about that? The watch Connery wore in Dr.No was on a black leather strap, and belonged to producer Cubby Broccoli...

283356-10034.jpg

Kind of hard to justify spending so much on a bezel when the dial is so far off...

Given the price of the real thing, the cost of the insert is nothing. The owners of the website will also custom produce dials for $150 a piece. I asked if they could to a 6200 dial, but in modern colors (as if the dial was newly manufactured, not 54 years old) and they said that wouldn't be a problem...