When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A place to unwind

Nanuq

Every guy needs a place to unwind and relax. Here's mine, let's see where YOU kick your shoes off and unwind at the end of a long day. (ps: yeah that IS a big wolf)

282836-10404.jpg

Couple of nice Guilds there B~

Have you ever had a chance to play an Olson?

Met James and toured his shop years back...

Shop was his garage...

Had a chance to strum Phil Keaggy's as well...

Sweet as they get...

Look forward to setting in your "Relaxation Place" next month...

TT

Nice Nanuq!

I never ever have any time to sit and relax these days.

And my "room" is not quite set up like in these pics (they are at least a year old).

These old pics mostly were an attempt at featuring my revolving love affair with vintage Acoustic Research speakers.

And there are nowhere as many speakers in this room under normal circumstances.

Anyhow, the point here is to let you all know that I enjoy sitting in this room, whenever I get a moment to myself. This is my special place aside from the garden out back.

283965-9678.jpg

283965-9679.jpg

283965-9680.jpg

283965-9681.jpg

283965-9682.jpg

283965-9683.jpg

283965-9684.jpg

One of the setups from a long while back... The Sansui is fully modded easily pushing 200W RMS with capacitors the size of 16oz. beer cans :crazy: And I'm not talking about contemporary 200 Watts. We're talking about true vintage WPC power, which is a totally different story.

283965-9685.jpg

There is no sound like a vintage Sansui. The deep rich bass from those old amps is spectacular. I played mine so much it finally blew up. I think it was around 25 years old. I have now a pioneer, an onkyo and a denon. Great for home theater, but the old speakers with huge drivers and old amps with tremendous current somehow out rock them all.

It's very hard to tell the from the itty bitty part of the speaker visible in your pic.

But judging from how the black grill cloth goes flush to the very edge of the cabinet, and that the corner edge is not rounded or angled, it looks looks like:

AR 40 Connoisseur Series 3-Way system

AR 50 Connoisseur Series 3-Way system

You should replace the surrounds. This is very easy to do and the kits are inexpensive (less than $25).

Wow, great speaker! The AR-9x series are the some of the best speakers in ever made. My all-time favorite, aside from AR-90 (I'll include also include AR-3a), is the beastly AR-9.

Refoaming is simple. Please watch the video below to see all the exact steps. If you need an AR-90 foam kit, follow the other link below.

Sounds like a daunting task? Nope, not at all. It's as easy as 1,2,3. I've refoamed 50+ speakers, it's easy stuff.

Here is a great seller on eBay that has the kit that you need (you might not need all the woofers refoamed, but you might as well as do them all). I've bought many kits from him; they come with everything you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AR90-Speaker-Foam-Repa...oQQcmdZViewItem

More Refoaming Info:

http://www.wooferrepair.com/faq.html

Full Quicktime Video Instructions:

http://www.wooferrepair.com/Woofer_Repair_Stream_2.wmv

There is another seller on eBay who knows a lot about vintage AR equipement, and he happens to have a plethora of unobtainable parts (correct capacitors, L-Pads, speaker stands, logo badges, etc).

http://stores.ebay.com/VINTAGE-AR-PARTS-AN...genameZL2QQtZkm

You will be very happy if you do this easy repair. Those AR-90s deserve to be heard again in their full glory.

I've never shimmed any woofers. Never needed to. While gluing the foam, I push up & down on the woofer to make sure that there is no "rubbing". With over 50+ speakers refoamed, I've never once had the so-called voice coil rubbing problem.

I have always kept all of my speakers to OEM specs.

The best thing to do would be to talk to Vintage_AR...

And for sure check out classicspeakers.net <----- Great members, huge database of vintage AR speaker info!

You can find out what the capacitor values are for AR-90. They need to be replaced in order to truly bring the speakers back to OEM specs. Your AR-90s will sound incredible with correct new capacitor replacements. If you can cut 2 wires and solder 2 connections, you can replace capacitors. It's easy stuff.

By the way, AR-90 is on my short list!

PS. I know that you know how to operate a slide rule :D You can do this speaker repair stuff with great ease!

OK, favorite rooms to unwind in and audiophile talk in one thread. I like this.

Here is my room - my library:

284558-9336.jpg

284558-9337.jpg

284558-9338.jpg

284558-9339.jpg

And the Vintage Marantz Audio gear:

284558-9340.jpg

Marantz 2325 - 125 (Pure) watts per channel

284558-9341.jpg

Marantz 2252 secondary receiver:

284558-9342.jpg

Still love Vinyl - Marantz 6300 with Grado Gold:

284558-9343.jpg

284558-9344.jpg

I got away from the Vintage speakers and now have mostly Polk (in wall) and Wharfedale Bookshelf and Towers.

Wow, lovely room and nice equipement!

I had a 2270 that I really enjoyed, but it was strained with my AR-3a 4 ohm speakers. I gave to a friend who, to this day, still uses it daily (albeit with more efficient speakers than AR-3a).

Also had a 2230 a long time ago that I really liked. There was something really marvelous with how it sounded. That Marantz sound. Wow. I've always wanted a 23xx series Marantz.

Marantz gear is now out of control pricewise. So is Pioneer (the SX1980 is now breaking records pricewise).

I ended up snatching up quite a few Sansui items over the years - so much in fact that I am hooked. Love the BA/CA series Sansui Amps/Pre's and Integrateds. I love the 9090 series receivers, too.

When it comes to turntables, I still have not found a better unit (for me) than my Acoustic Research AR-XA paired with a Shure V15 Type III.

Is that a Grado headphone amp?

Ok, I'll shut up. It's been a while since I've even thought about the audiophile realm.

Anyhow, it's great to see that there are members here that enjoy fine music+gear, fine watches, fine books, etc... :D

Marantz was my first high end purchase at a early age.

Still have my original 6300 turntable & 2235b receiver bought from a ad. Had it attached to my Jennings Research Contrara P speakers.

On it, the Floyd sounded so good.

Memories...

Nanuq, I think I need your Onkyo to power my AR-9 or Altec 19!!!

I can wholeheartedly say that the old gear sounds vastly superior to the contemporary brittle frail and sharp stuff of today.

Any quality 1970s gear sounds as good (if not way better) than units that cost at least several thousand dollars these days.

I'll put any Solid State McIntosh, Sansui, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, Phase Linear etc... on par with Krell gear or boutique tubes that cost at least $5k.

The best part is that you can walk away with a Sansui 9090 or a Realistic STA-2100 with a massive Torroidial transformer for $250 and it will sound better than any modern system guaranteed. Plus you get a real walnut wood veneer case, too!

The 1970s did have some great stuff!