When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SFSO died on me today :(

lazarini

So i recived my sfso last week from a fellow member ... he purchased it 3 weeks back and due to the size and weight decided to pass it on ...

its a swiss eta version with double-sided AR ... so i wore it the whole week and worked just fine was running cca 10 sec faster in 24 hr but that did not bother me at all ---

I weared it in shower swimed with it all fine ... today at round 18 50 it just stoped ... i was in a shopping mall with my gf and another couple and we went our separate way and decided to meet at 20 00 .

I was wondering why the time moves so slow when sudenly realised that the seconds stood still ;(((( i asked for the time at it was 19 50 ...

shaked it a bit nothin .... unscrew the crown wind it up ... nothin ... wont move at all ... checked it now when i write this nothin dead :(

funny thing happened before round 17 00 my gf asked me what movement is there as she thought it was moving veird like something betwen mechanic and quartz (smart girl ey ) but me beeing smart just scooled her its an eta mechanic one not checking to see what she spoted ... the thing that she saw was actualy watch beggining to struggle with running ...

now whats ure suggestion i do ... can a simple watchmaker open the case and see whats with the watch ?? how will this affect the waterproofnes obviosly i got it for the summer and the ability to keep water out ...

just to make matters worse i just bought a gen rubber strap of bay and a rep black leader of a felow member here last week ... sheeesh :(

all comments appriciated

regards laz

Edited by TwoTone

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I know that this model was promoted as being waterproof, but I wonder if activities such as wearing it in a hot shower contributed to your problem? Are there any signs of condensation/moisture on the inside of the crystal?

More likely something is loose or out of alignment based on erratic movement that your girlfriend noticed. Unfortunately there is probably no way of knowing for certain whether this is the case, or whether something more substantial broke within the watch, without taking it to a watchsmith (I assume that you, like me, do not have the skills to do this yourself, otherwise you would have done so already). When you ask whether a "simple watchmaker" can diagnose and fix the problem, I think the answer depends on what you mean by a simple watchmaker. Any watch repair person with a reasonable amount of mechanical watch experience ought to be able to diagnose and probably even fix your problem. Of course you need to take into cosnideration the usual caveats about taking your rep to an AD or watch repair person who frowns on reps.

Above all, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened. It worked fine for me. I do agre with the other guy that water does not go with reps but it would most likely have condensation inside if that were the case. I never beleived the claims about water resistance so I would imagine that it is no problem for a watchsmith to take a look inside.

Hi paul and JK ---

regarding the water breach im 99 percent thats not the case i was on sun today 35 + degress and the watch did not show any signs of condesation then or now ...

looks more like the movement had run into some problem and just stoped after cca 2 hours of struggling to run and beghaving like (mech-quartz hibrid)

my concern is not the fix but the ability for the watch to retain the waterproofnes ... as i mentioned above this was my reason for going for this piece ...

im have no ideas how it is when the watch get put back together and the case back screwed back on can the same rubber ring be used or has to be new to insure waterproofnes ?

if anyone knows more please feel free to chime in ...

regards laz

Edited by lazarini

Hi Stephane how is the vacation going :)

yea we all know when we got into this that sooner or latter this things are bount to happen (hell even the gens have problems)

i will ask our resident experts on the board what coud be the problems at hand and how to go about it ...

im eager to go to a local watchmaker here but the loosing the ability of the water resistance is keeping me away ...

thx for ure reply , regards laz

loosing the ability of the water resistance is keeping me away ...

Hi Laz,

Thanks for asking, vacation is fine.

I am in no way an expert about mvt and waterproofing.

I have had several times condesation into my reps when gently cleaning them with a toothbrush under a small filet of water from the tap.

I opened the crown and case back and 24 hours later they were "dry". The watch it self (the mvt) never stopped though.

They still keep fantastic time over several days by the way.

So, it's more a mvt issue you have I think.

Now, any watchmaker should be able to change the O rings, grease them and shut the case back with a correct tool.

That shouldn't stop you from showering or swimming in a pool.

But as many other members, I would stay away from water with reps unless they come back from a trustable watchmaker that says "go ahead"!

Cheers

Stephane

UPDATE !!!

Not a good one do :( i took the watch to a local watchmaker and he refused to work on it , his reason was that he dont have the tools and that ist automatic ... when i explained that its an eta 2824 that did not make a change :(

He said try sheroon dealer they have the tools for sure ... but as this is a breitling AD thats deffinetly out of the question .

The fact im a forigner here does not help also ...

Now is there anyone on the boards that has the capabilities and time that i coud send him the watch asap ?

I would prefer not to send the watch outside of EU ... so if anyone wanna have a crack at this and help me out (course will pay xou for the services provided) now is the time to step out ...

Post here or PM me and we can have a chat .

regards laz

Rolf ,

im still in a search for one that will even want to open the watch and diagnose the reason of failure ... till now no sucess noone wanna do nothing with it ... strap change yes but thats about all :)

My GF pinged me few moments back that a colleague at work has a friend that is a watchmaker and he said he will ask if he woud take on the job at hand ... will keep this thread updated to let u all know what is up with that ...

Regarding ure reply what u mean a real eta 2824 ... this means the one inside is a "fake" 2824 ... as i remebered u have a black sfso swiss version ... u wanna tell me that the movement inside is not swis eta 2824 ?

regards laz

i would never bet that this movement inside is a gen 2824.

if this breitling for you a important watch then give this baby a real 2824.

and no doubt anymore.

only which direct from swiss movement factories comes is swiss made, think about it.

rolli

Laz-

Don't worry about compromising the water resistance by opening the case- It should be fairly simple to retain the level of water resistance with proper lubrication to the caseback gasket, which any good watchmaker or service shop can do. This can be confirmed with a pressure test after the caseback is re-tightened, just to make sure...

Guys thx for replyes appriciated ...

the thing will unfold as folowing im meeting the watchmaker tomorow after work and he will give me an idea if he is confident in a fix , whats his recomendations etc if he will take on the job ill also ask when reasembling the piece to lube up the gasket ring before tightening the case back and do a watertest (he confired he has a machine on the phonechat)

now on the other scenario if he will say no i have rolf already in contact with his watchmaker for a possibme movement swap and the works ...

anyway ill keep u updated as i go along first failure for me and probably not the last ... but u got to get used to the idea this things are bound to happen ... keepen my head high :)

cheers laz

UPDATE.

Got a call just few minutes back and as its a bit quitet here in the office due to lunch brake ill post this in piece :)

The watchmaker that got recommended localy took on the job he opened the watch and foud out that a screew got loose and fell out thus blocking the movement ... seams he was able to put it back in and he regulated the watch ...

I will recive it latter today ... he advised to wear it for 24 hours and see if there will be any problems with it after that he told me to return and he will lube up the gaskets and close it + do a water - ressistance test on it to confirm the waterproofnes ... from what i heard on the phone he is confident that the watch will be ressistant upon inspecting the gaskets ...

PS ... i recived these 2 straps in the mail today (leather black from Vmena , and Gen. Rubber diver pro also black from the ita bay )

287039-7864.jpg

hi pug,

i have always doubt with movements from asia.

for me is always a movemnt gen when i get this direct from a well known main distributor or direct from a swiss watch factory.

otherwise is that a superficial statement.

the price for a gen eta 2824 is euro 65,-- incl tax ( $90,-- ). that is not too much.

rolli

Why do you doubt its authenticity? :blink:

Hi guys ,

the watch is now on me the second day and looks lto be running oka i decided not to take it back in 24 hours for lubing and waterproofing but insted wanted to prolong the test by taking it with me for a 2 day edu trip to Prague , CZ.

As mentioned apears to be running oka now if it will be like that till the end of week ill take it to waterproofing on monday .

Regarding ure question rolf the watcmaker confirmed its an eta 2824 movement in there ( my gf was there she speaks local language) all do he did not say nothing about asian/swiss ...

NOW this is nice .

he said to her that he is amazed by the quality of the watch in general and build , the markings etc he said it can easy pass for a gen and if not opened the case he coud not know ...

He also mentioned that the case back screws in realy neat and that the ruber gasket loos realy good :) there fore he is confident in passing the watertest ...

regards laz

UPDATE.

Watch has been lubed and tested 5 atm positive . 10 atm positive ... need to put the leather of and mount the rubber one :boat:

all good ... now the only thing is my gf told me that the watchmaker asked if i can get one for him :)

regards laz

Edited by lazarini