When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are most clothing items on eBay fake????

thomasng

I'm getting curious now, are most clothing items on eBay fake?

I went snooping around eBay looking for examples of clothing I already have, and I found my Dolce and Gabbana jacket for $40 on eBay, while it cost more than $650 from the D&G boutique in Toronto! I also found a pair of the Diesel jeans I have for $25 on eBay as well. The funny thing is, all of these items I see have tags, everything!

It also goes the same for items like soccer jerseys, I have a ton of them, and all of them seem to go for $20, but $100 in the stores? I know many of these are from Thailand which does make them somewhat dodgy.

I'm sort of confused, can anyone explain to me why it is so? It's either 99% of all clothing items on eBay are fake or I'm getting ripped. :huh:

either 99% of all clothing items on eBay are fake or I'm getting ripped.

Yes and Yes.

A lot of the brand names are fake on ebay, although there is also the real deal. The fake ones usually are way off in comfort and quality, but not all. It`s just like with our reps you have really bad reps and very good reps. I have fake brand polo shirts who costed me 10% of the real price but are just as nice and also of high quality.

And you are right in being ripped in the brand stores!

well i think that most of the clothes sold on e-bay are fake...

no way that those prices are of the real deal....

i have bought 2 pairs of Puma sneakers limited edition...of Mihara Yasuhiro...payed 250€ per pair...but they are so real, at the time when i was buying them i have never asked myself about the authenticity of the sneakers...i am wearing now them for more then 1 yr. and a half and they are of excellent quality...so i suppose even if they were fake they are of excellent quality and good looking...

maybe i've bought real ones...one thing is sure...i like them as they were real!

I have the red ones and the black one with Puma Disc system...

40445-38198.jpg

even most nike is fake... paid 150euros for a pair of nikes once. they got snagged by customs (got a letter, that they were fake, blah blah blah)... THANK GOD! got my money back from the seller and went to the store and paid 50euros more for the real deal!

Well, I guess in this world, there is always the saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"

But I don't understand how the fakes can look 100% exactly the same. I compared my D&G jacket to pictures of the fake one and it looks exactly the same! The tags are all there, the hologram on the jacket is there.........

I had trouble sleeping last night thinking I may have paid 15 times more than what I needed to for a jacket.

I'm embarrassed to say my wife buys most of my clothes, but one of my business partners swears by ebay for high end suits--brioni, zegna, etc. I suppose it's a lot like buing watches and reps--first choose your dealer then your...er...suit.

Well, I guess in this world, there is always the saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"

But I don't understand how the fakes can look 100% exactly the same. I compared my D&G jacket to pictures of the fake one and it looks exactly the same! The tags are all there, the hologram on the jacket is there.........

I had trouble sleeping last night thinking I may have paid 15 times more than what I needed to for a jacket.

What we,(you) call fakes are made in same factory. Upscale Retailer Buyers are glad to purchase from them and then sell at upfront seasonal markups. Then clearance out at 33-50-75% off. Ever wonder how the chains can advertise at 75% off and still make money?

I have been in Retail alot of years and rags (clothing) has the the most MU.

Besides jewelery, clothing is the most marked up consumable out there.

The problem is that you are dealing with factories that produce for the OEM.....some of the stuff that they hive off is just the same as you'll pay thru the nose for in the high street......cotton's essentially cotton (except when it's refined into Sea Island or Egyptian cotton used in high quality shirts).....and polyester is polyester.....it's about the brand ....showing it off...the hang tags....rubber name badges ..etc...etc......the Diesel jeans available to me are absolutely great.....Lyuker....Yusher....all the latest styles.....for a fraction of the cost.....ole Levi would be turning in his grave at the thought of a workaday cloth....serge de nime......selling for $250+ buxx......simply because of the combination of letters on it's patch / badge.......ludicrous....and even less value than a good quality watch....at least with the watch....you're getting longevity and a stylish article...rather than something that's subject to the vagaries of "fashion"......!

Edited by TTK

A suit for 140USD? I'd have to be able to touch it before I would buy it, or have a hell of a recommendation. I have shirts that cost more than that (not that I paid full price for, of course...)

Esmarc :pimp:

I am about to start selling mens hats on ebay, but my stuff is legit as I get them directly from the manufacturer. Fedoras, caps, Panamas, stuff like that. I'll let everyone know when I get the eBay Store up and running.

• 6 years later...