When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag AquaRacer Chronograph Day-Date (1:1)

Victoria

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They claim that the new gen version has AR. I seriously doubt the old one had... my guess is that the gen has one-sided AR.

It's very difficult to find anything else than factory pics of this watch.

Doesn't look like AR to me. Or then it's very light and one-sided, a'la UPO.

PS: Look at the date and day, both seriously misaligned and offcenter. :bangin: (or then it's just the pic)

292955-4102.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

reality is these days, my purchases are almost dictated by how good the AR quality is because in reality, that's what seperates the 'great' ones from the 'ok' ones

:blink:

:bangin:

Lordy, lordy....in your "reality" maybe....as BT states above, the gen 'Racer does not have anything like the coloured-reflecting AR you expect to see on say, one of the old-school Pams, or the recent swiss BCE, HBB etc. If you're so fixated on AR as an indicator of quality, then it's actually better for a rep NOT to have AR so you can then get it "chieftang'd".

292959-4101.jpg

:blink:

:bangin:

Lordy, lordy....in your "reality" maybe....as BT states above, the gen 'Racer does not have anything like the coloured-reflecting AR you expect to see on say, one of the old-school Pams, or the recent swiss BCE, HBB etc. If you're so fixated on AR as an indicator of quality, then it's actually better for a rep NOT to have AR so you can then get it "chieftang'd".

he doesn't do them anymore :wounded1:

:(

Chieftang won't find many AquaRacer crystals in his mailbox, 'cuz there is no AR on the gen.. at least, haven't found any proof on the TZ postings yet.

Here's another one, no blueish tint whatsoever.

Oh, and By-Tor, look, another misaligned datewheel :black_eye:

Look at my pic, same daywheel alignment issue. I'll be swapping out for ETA wheels anyway, see if that proves a fix :g:

I think this whole AR issue has got a little confused. An AR coating absorbs white light and depending on the process and coating used, it varies on what specific wavelength it reflects back. I've seen blue, green, purple, even pink. Absorption rates probably vary from anywhere between (guesstimating ^_^ ) 90% for heavy double-sided AR to about 40% for light internal AR. The gen Aquaracer is very much the latter, so why anyone expects to see a heavy blue I have no idea. Doesn't mean it doesn't have AR and if the tech specs say it is coated then it is coated. End of.

p.s. verbal, lovely avatar - just finished watching series 3 - Evangeline Lilly has been dumped in my affections as a result :wub:

I think this whole AR issue has got a little confused. An AR coating absorbs white light and depending on the process and coating used, it varies on what specific wavelength it reflects back. I've seen blue, green, purple, even pink. Absorption rates probably vary from anywhere between (guesstimating ^_^ ) 90% for heavy double-sided AR to about 40% for light internal AR. The gen Aquaracer is very much the latter, so why anyone expects to see a heavy blue I have no idea. Doesn't mean it doesn't have AR and if the tech specs say it is coated then it is coated. End of.

p.s. verbal, lovely avatar - just finished watching series 3 - Evangeline Lilly has been dumped in my affections as a result :wub:

Fair enough, I'm sure more pics will show up with the final answer, I'll check at the local AD this weekend so I'l have my answer in a few days ;)

As for my avatar... never seen an addictive TV series like this, can't wait for S4 to start :-)

Fair enough, I'm sure more pics will show up with the final answer, I'll check at the local AD this weekend so I'l have my answer in a few days ;)

As for my avatar... never seen an addictive TV series like this, can't wait for S4 to start :-)

I already had the gen on approval last Christmas - no apparent 'colour-reflecting' AR but then no especially nasty 'mirroring' or cloudiness, so IMO the crystal has definitely had some treatment just very subtle.

Long wait for S4 and the enigmatic Juliet - early next year I believe :cry:

Hi,

Is it just me? I notice the "Start" and "Reset" button on the 2 and 4 O'clock on the Rep Tag is different from the original? Or ist this another version?

Cheers

Chrono buttons on this new DayDate version are same 'bar' shape as Aquagraph case it is based on.

Previous Date model had different smaller case with 'button' type pushers.

Hummm. the Blue SS version is sooo...

My Quartz Aquaracer is sold, now this one will be mine by the end of the year for sure :D

(but again, $320 for a Tag rep... outch)

Edit: Btw the Bezel insert is misaligned on the Blue and Black version picture.. OMG and this is a tricky bezel to work with, I did it on my quartz.

Edited by vric

Edit: Btw the Bezel insert is misaligned on the Blue and Black version picture.. OMG and this is a tricky bezel to work with, I did it on my quartz.

Isn't the bezel missaligned in the pic By-Tor hotlinked from Timezone?

Makes me wonder if it's really a genuine, or if the quality control is kind of sloppy over at Tag. ( Missaligned date too...)

Makes me wonder if it's really a genuine, or if the quality control is kind of sloppy over at Tag. ( Missaligned date too...)

I was wondering the same thing.

Yes, but look at TK471s gen date Racer - same misalignment. Still gen.

I would guess not so much sloppy QC at point of manufacure, more sloppy in application and type of adhesive used perhaps - with bezel use, things tend to slip.

As for misalignment, well we've all seen issues like that with gens, Rolex, Omega, IWC, etc. not just Tag.

yeh ppl try to make it as if gen watches are bulletproof.. but reality is its not :\.. my dad has 2 gen rolex and one of them has a misaligned datewheel.. i saw a genuine omega PO last friday at an AD and i noticed that the omega logo is also misaligned (yes the logo on the dial)... i mean these things can happen.. human makes these watch NO? and offcourse human can make mistake :) and as with the AR.. it says on every site that the aquaracer has AR.. but from pics we've seen.. it doesnt show sign (as it still reflects).. so yeh.. im guessing that the AR is on 1 side.. like our UPO

Edited by arminvanbuuren

My bezel was only misalligned because I'd had it turned and forgot to correct it for the picture. Make no mistake, there were zero quality flaws with that TAG. I think TAG gets a bad rap from watch snobs -- the thing was absolutely bullet proof.

You don't understand.. We talk about the INSERT, not the bezel itselt.

In other word, the 45 writing don't lineup at all with the 45 Marker of the bezel (on yours it's obvious)

You don't understand.. We talk about the INSERT, not the bezel itselt.

In other word, the 45 writing don't lineup at all with the 45 Marker of the bezel (on yours it's obvious)

Why should "insert" on this watch rotate with bezel itself ? Based on seeing it in pictures, I would say that insert is fixed, and bezel is rotating. And that would make perfect sense to me ... but that's just me :D

regards