When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DRSD work in progress - Relume Luminova

rosnik

Hi guys,

I get same pictures again of my working update of DRSD.

I get from http://www.rctritec.com/ one LUMINOVA Kit.

that's my before and after work.

BEFORE:

290798-5456.jpg

AFTER the relume:

290798-5457.jpg

290798-5458.jpg

To leave that little 'vintage' and 'used' idea,

I chose one light yellow LUMINOVA color, I think the white color is perfect for new watch only.

cheers

Nico

I agree. I do not understand why so many people go to great lengths to replicate minute details of a vintage watch and then spoil it all by repainting the dial with superluminova, which produces a much brighter glow than the original dial would have had even when it was new. And after 30 or 40 years, if the dial glows at all (none of mine do), the glow would be weak, at best.

A better solution is to use either Revell's Night Color paint (a luminous paint made for model airplane kits) or Bergeon Lume Paste, which I think produces the most accurate glow (weak), but it is difficult to apply (correctly) unless you have very steady hands and artistic abilities.

Repaustria -- I think you are right. To accurately match a 40 year old tritium dial (which probably does not glow anymore), it is best to use a textured paint instead of lume. I bought some pumice gel paint for this purpose a couple of years ago, but never used it.

post-3175-1185817412_thumb.jpg

I think you just convinced me to wipe the cobwebs off the bottle and give it another try.

Thank you friends for your opinion on this 3D.

I used LUMINOVA product for two simple reasons.

1- I have it on my workbench.

2- It's simple to use and for me safe result.

I leave it one bit yellow , and the facilities to see on the dark the hour is for me one must.

Sure If you want one perfect vintage dial you have to use different materials. :victory:

I'll like to have your opinion on this work on the SD case too.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/DRSD-work-in-progress-t41316.html

My MBW 1665 is in the US being modded as we speak. I was asked if I wanted the hour markers to glow or just to be aged to look as they would were it a genuine dial. Having read the responses from the esteemed members in this thread thank God I opted for the non-glowing aged look. It would be nice to be able to read the time in the dead of night though but imho authenticity is more important.

I disagree...I think an owner of a 30 year old watch who uses it might be interested at some point in getting the watch re-lumed even if this meant having a local watchmaker do it outside the bounds of strict Rolex SC guidelines. I guess this would be the equivalent of sending out the original crankshaft pulley, alternator and water pump to be chromed on your 35 year old Corvette. I can see some purists with "show points" for factory authenticity cringing....but no one would doubt it's a genuine Corvette. Just the same here...I dont think a re-lume job would scream fake watch....just an owner who had practicality in mind.

Same kind of guy who would sand and refinish an 18th century Goddard-Townesend secretary...ouch

My MBW 1665 is in the US being modded as we speak. I was asked if I wanted the hour markers to glow or just to be aged to look as they would were it a genuine dial. Having read the responses from the esteemed members in this thread thank God I opted for the non-glowing aged look. It would be nice to be able to read the time in the dead of night though but imho authenticity is more important.

Can you post same picture for me? :rolleyes:

My opinion is in plenty accord with you guys!

If I would be in the situation to relume one GEN 1665 your opinion is sure correct.

I get this work on one bud 1665 copy ( it's not MBW too).

I get some case re-work to :

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=41316&hl=

This works on the case and on the dial wos only for my apprentice and for my testing.

Unfortunately,

I had no experience on this type of works and to learn how to do it.

On the past, I only do same Frankenstein and nether worked on rep.

So maybe you find this luminova not correct, but this work let me to know how the work must be done.

Wile, on the daylight the dial appear to me quite perfect in color,

only on the night light its luminous and user friendly for me.

Thank you for picture! B)

About the dial pearl lose, last summer during one snookering section in Santorini (Greece), I lose my dial pearl, and I get myself creasy to replace it.

Now I see your 1665 without it and I think you leave it to get it aged!!!.....................

This get me attuned!! :rolleyes:

Well done!

Can you post same picture for me? :rolleyes:

Sorry Rosnik, my watch is not with me and I have no photos of it. It is a standard issue DRSD 1665 (MBW). I have not got a very good camera but will try some pics when I get it back.

Now where is that photo tutorial by Pug.......? I seem to remember something about pillows.......

• 3 weeks later...