When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A dream come true?

LIBBY!

It's been a long process, that was fun to watch unfold. I bought most of the parts on eBay and rep forums, and then waited patiently as it was built. There were some obstacles, and rebuilds, but the finished product looks and feels great! I wanted "as close as you can get", but as everyone knows, the 1675 case is always the stumper with these.

Parts list:

"GMT II TW best" case

Authentic 1675 dial

Authentic(?) bezel insert

Authentic crystal

Authentic "55" Jubilee bracelet, and clasp.

ETA 2836

Enjoy the pix!

291676-4883.jpg

291676-4884.jpg

291676-4885.jpg

291676-4886.jpg

291676-4887.jpg

291676-4888.jpg

291676-4889.jpg

It needs some subtle aging, as the case is a bit too sharp, and I'm sure the CG's arent 100%. Hands and datewheel look a bit too "new" to fit the dial. It is a great feeling watch though, much less "clumsy" than my MBW 1680.

It was assembled by a friend on these forums who will remain nameless unless he wants to step up!

Edited by LIBBY!

First, congrats for the project and patience.

Second: that dial is ...amazing.

I mean I have one Rolex with hour markers that look very close to yours.

Did you do anything special on this genuine dial ?

Edit: Sorry but I have the feeling that I know your friend...

Cheers

Stephane

Amazing, I love it. Great work.

However it has one annoying detail that bothers me. You know, I speak from experience... I've had that exact same insert. It's not authentic, just look at the "circle" between 8 and 10, it's seriously misaligned. Also the blue color is too dark... it's probably from a German Ebay seller who sells them for around $10.

I hope someone didn't sell that for you and claimed it's a gen insert.

Sorry to complain, no big deal really... the watch itself is amazing. But I got much better inserts from THIS Ebay seller. Just make sure you order the correct one (different sizes for vintage and modern).

291877-4749.jpg

291877-4750.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

WOW!

Good spot ByTor! I got it off of Ebay long ago with an authentic bezel assembly, perhaps I got ripped? Oh well, it's definately faded and looks cool with the watch, but maybe I'll look for an authentic aged insert.

The dial is as I bought it, it came with the patina that way. I want to age the hands, and the datewheel to look a little less bright and shiny. I'm sure it will be a work in progress for a bit, but I thinks it's a great start..

I think you got ripped. That's definitely not a gen insert.

But the watch is fantastic. If you enjoy the watch as it is, it's not a big deal at all... but if it starts to annoy you... get better insert from the seller I recommended. The colors are correct. Red is more yellow and the blue is lighter and shinier. Then fade it with the methods that our modders recommend... or keep it as it is. Lots of vintage gens have new aftermarket inserts.

But of course we can always just hope that these Ebay sellers are selling from the same stock they previously had. It's always a crap shoot.

WOW that awesome! I love that vintage look!

The hands look good to me.. and that white datewheel is what would get put in by an AD when you send it for service. I am sure they arnt gunna "age" the new parts to match the old ones. I wouldnt change a thing except that insert. I too have bought from Jewellery Outlet and his inserts are not bad. Get a new insert.. drop it into bleach for a minute then wash it off and see how that looks... ;)

Lonnie

A friend built it for me, I'm not a watchsmith, or have time to try! We went through a crystal or two before we got the fit right, I'm not sure how it was installed.

@Nanuq

I'm honestly not sure if it was sold as authentic. I may have just bought it because it looked old.

1675 "TW best" case

Authentic 1675 dial

Authentic(?) bezel insert

Authentic crystal

Authentic "55" Jubilee bracelet, and clasp.

ETA 2836

Well I am no 1675 expert, but this sure is a great looking watch. I think the aging is very well done, and the hands look good to me but could use a little patina. Obviously the dial and crystal make the watch, aesthetically. And the bracelet is icing on the cake. The insert could be improved, but is aged nicely and will play the part faithfully until you upgrade it. All in all, a great watch and one that will be alot of fun to wear!