When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

noobie here wanting to buy a Panerai

waffles

Well guys i am new to this hobby and i bought my first rep a (beginmariner) from Josh. And now i am wanting a starter Panerai. What is a good one that really doesnt need mods for it look really close to the real deal and that is in a moderate price range ( $100 - $200 for me) any suggestions?

none of them "need" mods. close to the real deal is another issue. the thing with pam is less the watch and more the strap. the strap makes the watch like rims on a car. the rep straps suck (not like breitlings.)

davidsons straps are ok but your best off picking out a style you like then hunting for a good strap. expect to pay 25 - 100 bucks. more you pya' nicer it is. i recomend going thick. thicker the better. 5mm+ :) you can't go wrong with just about any pam from our dealers.

if you are on a tight budget get a good deal from silix just make sure you go prime. not the really crap crap. then spend the money on the strap.

i can only echo the good suggestions from phoband. go for an asian movement base pam w/ sapphire crystal (may i suggest a 112h instead of the standard 111h); then spend $100ish dollars on a nice strap and you'll be hooked for life.

welcome to RWG waffles -- hold onto your wallet & have fun :victory:

deltatahoes

Well guys i am new to this hobby and i bought my first rep a (beginmariner) from Josh. And now i am wanting a starter Panerai. What is a good one that really doesnt need mods for it look really close to the real deal and that is in a moderate price range ( $100 - $200 for me) any suggestions?

WAFFLES! What happened?? I thought you were going to cancel your order with Joshua, and flee the country before the Feds got unto you?!

:p

Obviously, just yankin' your Waffle-chain. I'm glad your Noobmariner deal went through, and all is well.

Just let me say, I was you exactly one month ago. And look at me now!

So, as a person who JUST started her PAM career, I would say pay CLOSE attention to the suggestions of the Panerai veterans here, who will give you excellent advice.

I went for a Fantasy Mini-Fiddy for my very first PAM, and it so happens it's been my most problematic, least-liked PAM ever. I hate "fantasy" watches with a passion, not because I want to pass off my watches as gens (although, let's be honest, a little part of one wouldn't like to be called out as wearing a rep, either), but because they're usually badly-made.

I also suspect that the Chinese rep dealers had a bad batch project they were working on, and decided to create FrankenPAMs out of the spare parts. Whatever reason, I would suggest:

1- NO Fantasy Panerais

2- NO super cheapo movements (AJ21s)

3- Stay away from Asian Automatics, and go for the Handwind variety

4- Know the first rule a PAM rep owner learns, "The Rep strap is crap" so figure into your $200 at least a NICE $60 strap. Trust me, if you see the rep strap you will die laughing, and people will laugh at you.

5- Followup of #4: There are three custom-makers of straps on these boards, V from here but who is busy at the moment. Plus Tootall and Savage over at RWI. They can make you BEAUTIFUL straps in all shades for under $100, but are frequently busy. Email them.

6- People told me to go for the rite-of-passage 111h first, and did I listen? No. But my second PAM was the 111h and I simply adore it. So much so, I ordered another, on its way as we speak, from Andrew.

The one I ordered (x2): http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...;products_id=94 ($158, not including S/H)

7- A member counselled to go for the 112 first. I suspect that's because it's the base, and less repped than the 111h. Sounds good to me, though as I said, I love the 111 model.

8- The Asian Unitas are very good movements, and don't feel badly if you can't immediately get a Swiss ETA (x2 the cost). However, should you get a windfall in the next few weeks, try for a DAVIDSEN model, especially the Fiddy, an enormous but utterly sexy Panerai which all sentient beings should own. Not that I'm biased or anything.

9- Figure into your later budget the modding your PAM WILL need, like cannon pin fix, lume job, swan neck, etc. There are great modders here, like Vacuum, The Zigmeisterzumba, Flavor Flav, and others. Check them out.

10- STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW-END DEALERS. PM me in case you need info. I don't want to malign anyone's reputation, but really, you're best off buying from certain dealers only.

10a- If this and other rep watch forums are of help to you, please consider upgrading your account to the VIP level. It really helps this community provide you with all these pieces of advice, which normally would take you months and lots of heartache to do on your own.

Good luck! Remember what I said in that thread of my collection:

Owning a Panerai is like...

...eating M&Ms.

...munching Fritos

...snacking on peanuts

...owning Jimmy Choos

You CANNOT have just one. :)

Definitely go for a 111 or 112, I'm wearing my fully modded 112 right now, you can't go wrong with either one. And if you start out with a cheap one now it will leave room for modding later (which is an addiction in it's own right).

Here's a genuine alligator from HK Tan (because it was on the clipboard :-)

294160-3341.jpg

Well, what do you know! It's Clive from the other RWG, replying to a newbie about which PAM he should get, unlike the help I asked for and didn't get from the mighty Clive.

Well, how do you like me now, beeatch?!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=42508&st=0

294160-3342.jpg

Yes, nothing like a fellow Brit going above and beyond for another. I will now sing a Vera Lynn medley in your honour.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have a slightly different take on collecting for beginners... As someone who tends to learn from my own mistakes, I have spent THOUSANDS on crappy replica watches. And I dont mean $1l-$5k, I mean $10k-$20k. And what do I have to show for it??? Not much, because I scrapped most of these watches or tore them apart trying to learn how they work.

SO, with that said MY suggestion is to save enough to start with what would be considered by the aficionados on this board to be a GREAT replica. The Davidsons are definitely in that department. It is also possible to get a good deal on someone else's project watch. I would not suggest buying anything but a Swiss movement. YES the others are acceptable, and YES they work, and YES if its a solid case back you will be the only one to know... BUT YOU will know. And after a short period of time,you will want the Swiss modded watch and you will find that the other isn't enough.

Im really not trying to be a killjoy, Im just giving my $.02 worth of advice. I have 23 replica watches in my collection, and JUST bought my first Panerai. BUT, I pretty much started at the top of the food chain... Maybe I FINALLY learned my lesson!

I firmy believe in quality over quantity, I know some like to buy up anything and everything but I think your better off narrowing it down to your favs and then taking those few to the next level with mods. Or go the easier route and just buy from Davidsen

A 177h would be a great start, i got one as my 4th pam and like it more than the 47mm ones, light smaller and non intrusive. Just be aware that onece to wear a pam even if you think you wont like it but had to give it a try it will bite!