When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What rep did you *swear* you'd never buy?

mezzanine

But eventually caved and came around to it.

There could be any number of reasons why you resisted. For example, maybe you didn't like the aesthetics, but eventually started to appreciate the design. I think the PP Nautilus or Ingy might be examples of this. It seems a lot of people start out disliking the design, but if exposed to it enough, eventually begin to appreciate the uniqueness and beauty they represent.

Or maybe there was a brand that you said you'd avoid when you first started. I know that I resisted the notion of going after an IWC or Rolex. I didn't want an IWC because I felt it was too *obscure*. I didn't want a Rolex for the exact opposite reason.

For whatever reason, most of us probably have a rep that we initially had thought there was no way we would get.

For me....it's a vintage rollie. I felt that it was a poor value when I first came to the forums. I saw the people modding them at great cost, and figured they had gone mad. I resisted *any* rolex initially, but eventually decided to get a modern sub and began to appreciate the watch.

Now, I look at the vintages that have been modded and I am pretty sure that I'll eventually get one. This was the 'last frontier' for me. I knew I had the disease bad if I ever reversed course on the vintages. They represented the 'niche' occupied only by the hardcores that had lost perspective on the hobby. Well, guess what?

:o

I swore I would never buy a Rolex Submariner.

However, since members such as Stephane, Lazarini, and Tribal (the master himself) I am finding myself more and more drawn to them. I will eventually buckle, I have no doubt about it, I have been considering one for a few months now, but still haven't bought one.....MUST STAY STRONG :weight_lift2:

However, since members such as Stephane, Lazarini, and Tribal (the master himself) I am finding myself more and more drawn to them. I will eventually buckle, I have no doubt about it, I have been considering one for a few months now, but still haven't bought one.....MUST STAY STRONG :weight_lift2:

I blame those guys too.... :p

I think I'm eventually going to cave. I can see it now...it's already on the radar. I almost went with one recently, but then decided on the Patek Philippe Nautilus Jumbo. What's funny, though, is that the unmodded ones don't appeal to me very much at all. I especially like modded dials- aged lume, etc...

I figured the Pams would be high on the list...falling into the 'strange aesthetics' category, that eventually starts to become appealing after repeated exposure and time spent on the forums.

Strangely enough, I didn't really *know* about Panerai before I got here- but I didn't really resist them much once I got immersed. But what's funny is that I've moved away from them after my more initial interest. I found that I got more excited by receiving a more conventionally designed watch. Maybe partly due to the external re-inforcement, whereby my friends didn't really get too hyped on them.

Bad news: Laz was like you :Jumpy:

Look at him now...he will soon have them all: 16610, 1680, SD,...then 5513 and so on.

Just like me :yu:

Pick one:

If you're offering, I'll have the 127 please :)

I think with me it was the Breitling SFSO. I'd never fancied any Breitlings at all whatsoever and after I posted a pic of my watch box with a blank space, a number of people suggested filling it with a Breitling so I spent some time looking and picked up an SFSO from Precious Time and I'm really pleased with it.

White Explorer II. Never did anything to me, but some pics by the fellow members raised my interest.

Actually I sold it almost right away... not because I didn't like the watch but because those dark grey hour markers started to bother me. I really hope they'll solve that problem eventually, what a great watch.

303712-510.jpg

I always said that Cartier watches were for women.... that they were cheap and stupid to have... but I just recently bought one from Joshua and its on its way!! Updated version of Santos 100 with correctly spaced "swiss made" and proper deployant SS model.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Swore Id never buy a Panerai... Too big, too common here in SoCal. Then I picked up the 188 from a member here, then a Fer0002, and will probably end up with more in the future. I have worn the 188 every day since I got it!

$800 for a rep? (at the time it wasn't but I always round my finances up).. are you kidding me?!?!?!

As much pull as the Black Magic had, I was able to resist all the hbb-effect until

303763-470.jpg

pretty much got mesmerized... and that's all she wrote

as of now, besides my UPO which is strictly for bad weather/or/outings (cuz I'm in NYC and I ain't about to have a magnet on my wrist for safety reasons :lol:),

this is my most often used watch ^_^

Fiddy or 217. Never thought I would but now my 217 is one of my favorite Panerai's B)

[Got one just like that....Take the minute hand off, and grind the excess metal off the bottom of the center..It'll look a lot better sitting lower on the canon pinion...mine looks great that way...My only "Destro", but gets a bunch of wrist time!! ;) ;) ;)

Got one just like that....Take the minute hand off, and grind the excess metal off the bottom of the center..It'll look a lot better sitting lower on the canon pinion...mine looks great that way...My only "Destro", but gets a bunch of wrist time!! ;););)

Just spent some time with Ziggy. New Cannon Pinion to fix the hands, Lume job and a Chief single side AR crystal job :)

rolex...

i got into reps because i wanted a pam and never had any interest in a rolex of any sort.

now i have a decently modded TW best sub and an LV noobmariner and a good GMT II ;)

i actually find that when i can't decide which watch i want to wear in the morning the default has become one of the rolex's. go figure.

and yes, if the mythical 1:1 seadweller ever happens i will buy one B)