When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Definitive Sapphire Crystal Test?

BlingIsMyGame

I have done the water drop test on my sub which should have a sapphire crystal, but the test came up negative. Then i did the same test a on a gen which I KNOW FOR A FACT that it has a sapphire crystal, and it also came up negative. so that test is total BS.

Yes it is.

The definitive test is trying to scratch your crystal with a hard glass or iron/steel pin. If it scratches, it is not sapphire.

Less invasive tests, still good enough, based on heat conductance and electrical conductance are performed by tools I already described here.

If you really wanna know.. take a piece of mineral crystal from another watch.. and try to scratch the watch you want to test... if it scratches.. you have mineral.. if it doesn't scratch you're a weakling.. or maybe you might have a synthetic sapphire crystal. Ballsy.. but that is the surest way

It is interesting that we have to test this, I mean, If I bought a watch from an AD and they told me it was sapphire, it would never cross my mind it wasn't sapphire. Unfortunately, because various dealers told us so many watches had sapphire when it was only mineral,,,suddenly, we have to test for it. Perhaps the best way to know if it really is sapphire is to buy it from someone you can trust.

It is interesting that we have to test this, I mean, If I bought a watch from an AD and they told me it was sapphire, it would never cross my mind it wasn't sapphire. Unfortunately, because various dealers told us so many watches had sapphire when it was only mineral,,,suddenly, we have to test for it. Perhaps the best way to know if it really is sapphire is to buy it from someone you can trust.

That would be an AD ? :p

thanks for the link guys, i don't think i want to spend $100 on a tester.

But what about the smear factor. I swear the crystal on this rep is glass, every time i touch it it leaves a smudge. on my real sapphire crystal it's not as prone to getting smudges. Are my statements correct?

I wouldn't think so.. maybe you just have oily fingers... besides.. why touch your crystal so much? I almost never touch my crystal with my fingers unless i'm polishing it with one of my 10,000 micro-fiber cloths.