When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aquatimer ( non chrono) rep is out!

chrgod

I posted this in the "Slevin-thread" but since no one commented on it, I thought it was better to make a new thread on it. :)

A replica of the non-chrono Aquatimer was out on Silix' page some days ago. Seems like decent quality, two years ago I think we all would have been all over this one.. but today, we are a bit spoiled. hxxp://www.watchsilix.com/product.asp?id=1931

304314-60.jpg

304314-61.jpg

304314-62.jpg

304314-63.jpg

It might not be a "Super rep".. White datewheel, wrong crowns, thin hands, badly applied lume.. But way better than any previous attempt I have seen, and with a rotating inner bezel. I wonder if there might have been a version of the genuine with this type of crowns. and the thinner hands?

For 46 Euro it could be worth a try? :)

No doubt all the super-reps carry an inflated price premium...much like newer technology does...but I don't think there's much comparison between the Cousteau and this watch.

I don't want it even for free

:lol:

Yep, I think most members are willing to pay 4-5 the cost of a this one, to get a watch with quality similar to the Cousteau or Ingenieur...

I considered to buy this one, to check it out, since I was ordering one of the vintage Subs and a SFSO from Silix... But in the end I know that I would most likely never used it, and it would not have any resale value. Still, I kind of like it. Heck, I even like some of those cheap faux chronos.

I've posted these before, but, it won't hurt to do it again. This is mine, it's a gen. You can see the differences immediately. Why in the world they can't get it right is beyond me. Tim

It's obvious why they can't get it right. They simply don't get the aesthetic simplicity of it. If it were more complicated, it'd be easier to replicate, ironically.

If you want a defent rep, it's going to cost, much like the Aquatimer Chrono.

It's obvious why they can't get it right. They simply don't get the aesthetic simplicity of it. If it were more complicated, it'd be easier to replicate, ironically.

If you want a decent rep, it's going to cost, much like the Aquatimer Chrono.

It's the SIMPLE things they miss. They're right in front of their faces, but for whatever the reason is they miss it. Take a look at the knurling (see photos). How do you mess that up??? That's a simple tool and they make them all the time, but yet they either missed it, didn't want to bother making the tool, or didn't pay any attention to detail. Pick one, or, pick all three. And, the back? How in God's name did they miss that? Hey, maybe they had a blindfold on at the time and tried the Braille method of engineering that piece. Also, did you catch the hour markers? Like, HELLO, that's not how they are made. How do you miss that? Dunno. As you so aptly put, they take something simple, can't fathom it, and mess it up when, in fact, it would be far easier if they just simply followed the pattern they had in their hands. Give it to the guys in Taiwan and let them do it right from the get go. Do that and you'll have a nice MBW to buy.

post-4958-1187967574_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1187967583_thumb.jpg