When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinion needed on a new supplier's offering

The Mentalist

I've been given a recommendation of a dealer called Madoka in China from a relative over there. Anyway, I've been chatting with him this evening and he's emailed me pics of his top of the range Submariner. Here it is:

305336-417.jpg

305336-418.jpg

305336-419.jpg

It has solid bracelet and the chap is selling it for $200 shipped including a full set of Submariner paperwork and box.

So...is it a POS or not and how does it compare to the Noobmariner, MBW or CN Subs?

By way of comparison, here's his basic Sub:

post-7463-1187928748_thumb.jpg

post-7463-1187928772_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Mentalist

I found that the

1.)Date-Mag crystal are not in place it should be

2.)The marking of bezel are rough & crook

3.)The painting on dial are totally POS....

I wonder the photo of sample are so bad; I don't believe u can get a better one than that

IMHO; I won't going to buy it.

I found that the

1.)Date-Mag crystal are not in place it should be

2.)The marking of bezel are rough & crook

3.)The painting on dial are totally POS....

4. Bad pearl

5. Lazer edged crown too visible

And yes, you gamble with an unknown dealer / person.

Stick to RWG's collectors, they are proven to be good (allthough some members disagree).

Cheers

Stephane

I really like the case and the crown. The movement is pretty standard fare. The bezel itself looks pretty good, but the insert and pearl are not. From this photo, the crystal looks to be the really cheap mineral glass with acid etched crown (hazy blob), not the 'perfect' sharp, but slightly too wide spaced laser etched dots of the better Reps, that are more and more standard these days. Not even going to comment on the dial/dw/rest...

I would expect to see this watch going for half that price including EMS from "Hong Kong" on the BAY (but, with a better crystal). Or somewhere roughly around the price you quoted, with the better crystal, a better insert, a nicer dial and the probability of decent after the sale support for problems from the favored dealers around here.

If you've been given their name by someone you trust, then go for it. For all the comments about the 'aftersales service of the favored dealers', there are some unignorable instances where those 'favored dealers' have not really met expectations with either their product or service, and, dealers who are considered as 'unknowns' here, can still provide excellent products and services. Personally, I say go for it. If the watch is a lemon, we know another dealer to avoid. If it comes up good, then we have a new (and cheaper source) so information well worth it.

Don't let 'anonymous' recommendations for other dealers put you off the source you were given by a relative. Best of luck with the purchase :)

• 2 months later...