When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My next projects coming together

tmg

oooh, i smell 1680 :)

Hi N,

This wasn't exactly building a project from all spare parts like your most recent pair :thumbsupsmileyanim: , but it was a fair deal on this gen dial and said what the heck this would be an easy project to put together.

Hi DD,

Using a 2846 slow beat I have sitting around and some aged Clarks Tudor Sub hands, I think they look better than the MBK hands.

I have a ETA 2846 from a rep Sub that I bought about 10-years ago. It still runs strong and I will be transplanting into my MBW 1680 Red-Sub in the near future.

I will post some photos of my project soon...

My advise......go to the nearest lake. Take that dial and fling it and see how many skips you can get out of it. Go home and find a 5512 or 5513 dial and get started on a "real" vintage project. :lol:

Ok...just kidding. Cool start (even though I like nodates better.......especially 5517s)

S6300261.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

tmg,

from just a glance over the parts it looks like its going to be very nice indeed when its done. heck if you just put it together like that without any movement it would still look nice on a wrist.

im hankering after a gen date to add to my collection like you wouldnt believe, im jealous you are going to get to build one.

whats your thinking ref hands for this with the dial and insert dot being aged? im at the same crossroads with my 5512 rep build. clean off the tritium exposing the white markers and easily matching hands, keep the character and just suck up white lume hands, get out the coffee bath, what?

DD -keep us posted on your project!

PF -I certainly think the no date subs are more balanced and love them as well. This gets more wrist time then most of my gens or reps.

Funny you mention a 5517... -Stay tuned ;)

DSCN4419.jpg

TWS -Thanks for the kudos, a date model vintage would sure make a nice trio for your collection.

Actually the insert has a cracked, worn down, dirty dot on it already :) , it's hard to see in my pix. As for the hands, I'll see what The Zigmeister can whip up! But my vision would be a well used look with the dark lines you see collected on the edges of the lume where it meets the metal of the hands.

PP -on my cursory pass with the dial inserted in the case it fit fine, I guess if it needs shaving I'll cross that road when I get there. And yes please PM with the your technique for the hands, I'm all ears -your work is always impressive!

Could you post this aging technique for us all to see? :)

I tried soaking my dial in thick coffee for 2 days and it didnt make any difference at all.. :g:

Hey tmg,

looking good but guess you going to have to shave the dial to get it to fit in the MBW case, no? Also i got a good technique for getting yer new hands to match the great looking lume on yer dial. lemme know if you need.

Cheers

P.

Jeesus!! Spray on varnish? YIKES!!

ha ha ha

Scarey to try that but your dial there looks fantastic!!

I'll send you mine and you can spray it for me

LOL

LOnnie

ps- how many watches do you have? haha Do you have a "collection" thread that i havent seen?

tmg,

i am glad to hear that you haven't given up on the 5517 ... i have one in the works too...

Thanks Rag,

Yes the 5517 is one of the Holy Grails. I'd certainly like to see how yours is coming along.

I'm hoping to have my case in the next two weeks.

You can try a thick varnish and spray it on with a coarse coating. Hit the hands and dial and it looks pretty authentic. Just remember

it will leave a void beneath the hands that looks new so it will take two tries. This dial is nearly brand new.

triple_red2.jpg

I've always thought that looks great Nanuq!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
tmg> where can i buy a Rolex crystal replacement for my 1680? thanks :)

Juca,

I'd check with "Saabin" here on the forum he had some in the member trade area and it's the proper original style with the straight edge, not the replacement beveled version.

• 1 month later...

whooo great case, the caseback seems amazing !! and great project too, not so common :)

can you tell me where you found this case, i'd be really interested :wub: , my 1680 project ( not finished yet, would post photos soon ) makes me realize how much i love these vintage rollies

Edited by pfff

Thanks Pfff, I believe jewelryandwatch.com is the only one that sells the 5517 case and be warned they ain't cheap :huh:

Agreed, vintage sports models were the golden age of Rolex for sure.

Feel free to share some photos of your 1680 when you get a chance.