When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Personality Profiles

ryyannon

Ok now for a little disclaimer...

Although many of us feel as ryy does it is board policy that up-grades and contributions are entirely voluntary, however with-out these the board will cease to exist so if you have not already done so please consider....

Ken

...that ryyannon will hound you to the ends of the earth and make your life a total hell until you do :bicycle:

But as Ken says, your decision to cough up the dough is entirely voluntary, of course... :bleh:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, you forgot to include just a frigging contribution if they're too cheap (or broke, like the poor souls reduced to having to buy gens to satisfy their needs) to go VIP - just a little something to show that they appreciate everything that's being done on this forum for its members.

I'd just like to point out that some of us choose to be 'non-VIP' members and yet contribute as much as if we were...........

I'd just like to point out that some of us choose to be 'non-VIP' members and yet contribute as much as if we were...........

This is starting to get much too subtle for my limited intellectual capacities.

Nevertheless, I'm tempted to answer, in that case, why not just upgrade to VIP rather than remaining an 'invisible benefactor'?

I presume that the "least you can do" means upgrading your membership and not shooting me in the head?

Ok, let's go for the first:

Thank you, Defacto, and welcome to the select group of suckers who pay for everyone else!

Ah, ryyannon, this is life, and alas, I have come to accept this fact. Why else would close to half of my income be taken away from me, whereas other people have much less of theirs withheld by the guv'mint? I am used to subsidizing those who aren't as enlightened. :lol:

May The Watch Angels (TTK, JetMid, and Slay) watch over and protect you in all your future illegal endeavors! :)

I certainly hope they will!

Indeed it has been noted that when donations are called for Febus is always amongst the first to chip in. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

That's entirely to his credit, but among other purposes, all those yellow rectangles we see around people's names are an indication of the forum's financial health at any given moment.

Otherwise, why even feature them?

I would imagine that Febus' actions are rather atypical. Can you give us an idea of how many others are quietly donating in the background without any visible indication of their contributions?

Are there any others?

I think we've got a live one here!

The forum's money problems are over - yippee!

MR.GEORGE NYERERE

345 LUISE BOTHA ROAD JHB2001.

SOUTH AFRICA.

TEL: 27-833-676-420

My dear friend

I do foresee the surprise this letter will bring to you as it comes from a stranger. But rest assured as it comes with best of intentions. However, your address was courtesy of the Internet. But after due consideration from your profile, I became aware and assured of your credibility of handling this trust and my future. Thus, after my humble decision to solicit for your understanding and co-operation in this transaction, as it will be beneficial to all of us involved.

My name is Mr. George Nyerere, from Tanzania . I am the son of the Late President of Tanzania JULIUS KAMBARAGE NYERERE, who died on the 14 October 1999 about seven years ago. My father used his position then to make for him self and us some fortune. My father died after a protracted illness. I was studying overseas when my father died and I was forced to return for the funeral. His attorney notified me and my family about my father's will with his chambers.

When I was going through the will, I discovered that my late father had used his position then to make some money, which he brilliantly transferred and deposited it with a private Security Company here in Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa. He deposited this consignment as valuables. The Security Company does not know that this consignment contains cash money, except the attorney and me.

The amount is Eight million United States Dollars (USD 8MILLION). However, my aim of contacting you is to help me and take this sum into your nominated account in your country or any other part of the world. Secondly, you will also help me look for a profitable investment overseas because I don't have knowledge of international investments. As a result of my present situation, I won't be able to conclude this transaction alone.

If you are interested in helping me out, try and contact me with the above phone number, or-mail address indicating your interest to help me, not forgetting to include your private phone and fax numbers for easier communication. I will then furnish you with more details. I have mutually agreed to compensate you with 25% of the total sum for your assistance, 5% for expenses in the course of the transaction. Then the remaining 70% will remain for my family and me, which you will help us invest.

Be informed that this transaction needs utmost trust and confidentiality. Note also that the transaction attracts no risk on your side hence all the modalities for safe, smooth and successful transaction have been arranged by me.

Looking forward to receiving your urgent reply. God bless you,

GEORGE NYERERE

(JNR)(FOR THE FAMILY)

Not to say that you dont, but why do you choose not to be a VIP? even though you support the forum.

I don't like the idea of being a 'VIP'- we're all important. However I'm quite happy to contribute towards the running costs of the board. I think it's a great place and will continue to support it.

Can anyone point me to an Emoticon of a guy (me) shooting himself in the head?

:rolleyes:

suicide.gif

Dammit...Defacto beat me to it ;)

Febus makes a very good point here. There are a few members who do contribute to the forum with a donations and have chosen to do this only as a donation and not as an upgrade.

I hope I have also made it clear that you have a choice; You can support the forum either by upgrading or donate (or both, of course ;)

I don't like the idea of being a 'VIP'- we're all important. However I'm quite happy to contribute towards the running costs of the board. I think it's a great place and will continue to support it.

The VIP membership seems to give some of the members a bad taste. Maybe we should change it back to the original name: RWG Supporter :g:

The VIP membership seems to give some of the members a bad taste. Maybe we should change it back to the original name: RWG Supporter :g:

I doubt that too many people get caught up in the ego strokes of being called a "VIP" -- or resist becoming a VIP member due to the title. Of course, as an alternative you could designate us as Athletic Supporters.

... and let's not forget that one can support in ways that don't cost money. A decent article on how to polish a crystal with a wooden spoon or how to make a strap out of a goat would be seen as contributing. For instance, if By-Tor or The Zigmeister were one day to decide never to give another penny to the forums, they would still be thought of as benefactors because of the effort, knowledge and talent they bring.

I have a more simplistic approach to this whole thing. If you are spending a reasonable amount of time here and enjoying it you should be donating. The VIP element should be irrelevant. I agree that the VIP acronym is crass. People should be "donors", "supporters" or whatever.

Calling someone who doesn't contribute anything and spends more than minimal time here a cheapskate is accurate. The movies aren't free...dinner isn't free...etc. And I don't begin to buy the concept of not being able to afford contributing something. You bought your computer. You probably pay for your internet connection, etc. If you can't afford any amount of money how are you looking at this forum? :lol: Actually it is not funny. It is true. So I would urge all to contribute something.

And congratulations to all who have stepped up and contributed money to the forum in a time of need. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

... and let's not forget that one can support in ways that don't cost money. A decent article on how to polish a crystal with a wooden spoon or how to make a strap out of a goat would be seen as contributing. For instance, if By-Tor or The Zigmeister were one day to decide never to give another penny to the forums, they would still be thought of as benefactors because of the effort, knowledge and talent they bring.

Yes, of course: I think most of us (especially the majority who've never contributed anything whatsoever to the forum) agree that money per se should not be a determinate factor. But the bottom line is that it takes a fair amount of money to keep this forum up and running.

And thus we're confronted by the problem - which we see every time that Admin. is obliged to pass the hat - of huge numbers of members who contribute neither the wherewithall to keep the forum going financially, nor any useful input.

These people are generally querying for information as to the best sources for purchases, complaining about deals that have soured or inflating their egos by posting about their latest acquisitions - which tend to be many.

Why should the same core group of members subsidize the forum for the same (larger) core group of free-loaders who use RWG to satisfy their own objectives without ever thinking of giving back?

I think that after a year on the forum for free, the choice of either becoming a supporting member or clearing out for good should be offered - with an automated system of simply blocking the ISP of those who don't respond.

I also feel that all the understanding in the world should be given by the Administration to the members who regularly "contribute in kind" through informative posts, as well as those infrequent cases where a member is just not in a postion to contribute financially: poo happens, and there are moments in some people's lives where every cent really does count - or so I'd like to believe.

Personally, I'd like to see an end to this problem once and for all - we've been through it too many times now, and it always resolves itself in the same way: a few decent guys step forward and upgrade, while the majority hang back and wait for the turbulence to pass.

Just take a look at the membership roster at the bottom of the main page after reading this to see what I mean....the ratio of supporting to non-supporting members really speaks for itself.

Now, that's an example of Cartesianism in action, FasTT! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

"I think, therefore I work in bu$ine$$..." :gun2:

to tell U the truth, it took me a few years before realizing that...

Sadly enough, RWG is also having a bad time these days: it can't find enogh people to upgrade their membership - or even make a donation of deux fois trois sous. :please:

Et c'est la galere for ze guy who runs it all! :frusty:

But since you're a marketing ace, maybe you could suggest a way to sell the idea of supporting RWG to the members who still haven't contributed...before we have to turn into a watch pr0n site just to make ends meet? :yuk:

A votre bon coeur, mon ami!

well... my PP account is frozen, so there's nothing I can do right now, but as a marketing pro, I'd suggest selling watch related books using an amazon affiliation account (hint: http://www.zlio.com , very easy to use, creates cool widgets that are easy to integrate, and act as a go between amazon and you... )

Adsense or Overture could also be used (hint: place the ads every 5 post in a threat)

The last option would be to place some banners on top of each page (you'll have to find a proper service for this, no idea witch one would be the best, but obviously a US based one), the 'maxi banner' (728x90 pixels) is the best money generating one.

With all this in place, it should generate some revenues, my guess is that this should be enought to pay the rent.

Last, but not least, organising raffle could generate some revenues, but this could prove to be a hassle to set up.

Now, when it comes to the legal side :

- setting up a small ecommerce using Zlio : almost noo risk, Zlio being a small company, and being a go between, you'll never be in any relationship with amazon.

- AdSense, Overture : could be a risk (they'll just close your account)

- raffle : no risk

An alternative could be to set up a big self promotion banner with a message like 'Have you payed your membership today ?'... no risk, if you need some help with the graphics, please PM me, I'd be glad to help.

Voil

An alternative could be to set up a big self promotion banner with a message like 'Have you payed your membership today ?'.

A seriously good idea, I nearly missed the threads asking for a contribution despite visiting regularly as I just don't look at everything on the board. It needs to stand out more.

I'm also thinking of making a regular (monthly) contribution to the running of the board without having to have a 'VIP' membership which as I've said before I'm not really in favour of.

An automated pm letting people know they have been here a year is sent, but if it was maybe pointed out a little more clearly how important donations are to the survival of the board perhaps with links to the paypal (and any other accounts) we can pay into.

I realized there was a vip membership obviously but just did not grasp the fact that others were paying for my privilege of being here.

When times are tight and donations are needed, again a blanket PM just politely pointing out the situation would certainly help me to get the message.

Not saying I will always in a position to help but I will when I can.

I'm also thinking of making a regular (monthly) contribution to the running of the board without having to have a 'VIP' membership which as I've said before I'm not really in favour of.

Febus, while I understand and I surely appreciate your position, I have a feeling that it might just come from a not-very-good choice of the "VIP" word to mark the members who are more contributing financially.

Personally, I never meant "VIP" as a member more important than "non-VIP" ones. I too have my own personal ways to think what is more or less important, and they surely do not include financial status.

Still, I feel that financial contributions to the wealth of the forum are good to get rewarded with more features and easiness of searching/posting/whatever.

I always meant "VIP" nothing more than a quick and sharp word to tell "Contributing Member", and I am sad to think that you forgo all the related bonuses in order to keep a good distance from the very "VIP" word and concept.

Even if, as I already said, I surely can see your point.

What I am trying to say with my poor English, in the end, is: it's just a word, it has not to be taken literally. Please consider it.