When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gen or fake?

bklm1234

I wonder why nobody on that forum's breaking the news to him. Is it that they can't be bothered, or that none of them actually know anything about their watches?

It's actually really hard to spot replicas unless you're us.

If you're predisposed to think gen and you see a flaw, you'll think it's one of the many variations in Rolex's history. As for handstack, it's not something they'd ever notice. Look at the face of your watch and now imagine the caseback. What's wrong with it? If you know the faults, it's because you've learned them. You'd never spot some of the stuff we took for granted even if you had a gen and rep side by side.

It's actually really hard to spot replicas unless you're us.

If you're predisposed to think gen and you see a flaw, you'll think it's one of the many variations in Rolex's history. As for handstack, it's not something they'd ever notice. Look at the face of your watch and now imagine the caseback. What's wrong with it? If you know the faults, it's because you've learned them. You'd never spot some of the stuff we took for granted even if you had a gen and rep side by side.

I never thought about it, but I guess when you put it that way, your absolutely right. I think that knowledge we have that others take for granted is worth the price of admission.

exactly pug, it's not even a question.

it just shows that outside of this community not that many people can spot the flaws. I hope the guy is one of us. Poor sucker otherwise. Now you think one of us should make a post there "it's a fake" so the guy will go back to his jeweler in canal street and ask for his money back?

-bk

in all honesty that watch is hurting ... look at the date mag ... i think any watch enthusiast would be able to clock that and what is that a maxi-dial ... the worst would be if that bad boy came with a submariner clasp (which is a common flaw on cheaper reps) ... i hope he didn't pay anything close to gen prices for that.

I never thought about it, but I guess when you put it that way, your absolutely right. I think that knowledge we have that others take for granted is worth the price of admission.

This is so true before I found this forum I would have accepted that GMT as the real thing ... now I am able to pick out the flaws quite easily. Why? Because I stand on the shoulders of others who have chosen to share their knowledge here at RWG. Cheers