When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches in movies

fitmic

Well after seeing these pictures of countless Omega's I have jut got back from an AD. The Seamaster as pictured above is so nice in the flesh. I have the Chrono rep, but the standard version would make a nice all round watch!! In the bond films it seems to look good with a suit too!

Was watching "Shooter" with my bf (on the phone!), and during the whole time, I was wondering what watch Marky Mark was wearing.

"Shooter (2007)

Bob Lee Swagger (Mark Wahlberg wears a Suunto Vector)."

Great. And here I thought it was a Sinn EZM2 or so. I still have loads to learn...........thanks Fitmic!

P.S.: Since becoming a really active watch hobbyist, rather than erstwhile enthusiast, all films are now "spot the watch" moments -- since I'm a cinephile, that means daily. It can be VERY distracting, unfortunately. Ocean's 13 was a nightmare!

I suffer from the same disease.

As far as diseases go, I'll take it! But I worry about boring those around me with my incessant patter about watches:

"No, I think that maybe is a Breitling. But which? Oh, it's Steelfish! Or an Emergency?? (next actor comes unto the screen) And the Rock is wearing a Panerai. How can a juvie football coach earn enough to get a PAM GMT? Jeez!".

Poor guy (my bf). Fortunately, he finds it vastly amusing. Love is blind...

@DuDro: Wish I had the DVD, but I haven't even seen the film! Hey, what did Tony Marrero wear in Scarface, to go with his lillo friend?

Yeah, me too. And you know what, seeing Orlando Bloom wearing a Fiddy in that "Elisabethtown"- thingy, actually made me buy one myself. :rolleyes:

It worked the other way round. I watched the film because there was a Fiddy in it. Did I tell Mrs Pugwash? No-o-o. Did she spot the Fiddy? Oh yes. It's hard to miss. Still, she thinks all movies have Panerais in them because they're pretty watches.

Elizabethtown.png

Yeah, me too. And you know what, seeing Orlando Bloom wearing a Fiddy in that "Elisabethtown"- thingy, actually made me buy one myself. :rolleyes:

Never having watched Elizabethtown (it was fast on the heels of "Garden State", I recall, so I chose the latter, which was SO good), I am excited to see a film mentioned which shows a Fiddy! Thanks, too, Pug!

However, when I saw Live Free or Die Hard 4.0 which had the baddie wearing a T3, I wanted to buy one immediately, ostensibly for my boyfriend. Same thing happened when I saw the chick wearing a B.A. watch in Transformers -- only I still don't know what watch she wore.

He wore the quartz version in Goldeneye then the auto version in Tomorrow Never Dies onwards. Maybe he changed because he lost the pearl in his SMP quartz above?

In Golden Eye, the pearl function was a red blinking light that is a signal for a detonation, the LED light was a CGI, of course. This is why we don't see the pearl. CGI replace it.

Just watched The Brave One, which opened this weekend in the States, starring Jody Foster and Terrence Howard (Hustle 'n' Flow).

In the first scene, she was wearing a classic vintage black-faced Cartier Tank (got one too! 1970s vintage. Same lizard strap too).

cartierblackfacebk6.jpg

There are reasons why she didn't wear any later on, which I won't spoil.

Terrence Howard's (as usual, fantastic, as was Jody Foster -- when they were on screen together, the film sizzled) watch gave me pause. At first I thought it was a black IWC Porto chrono, with croc strap. But I think that's wish-fulfillment on my part. :p

Later I could've sworn it was the very lovely JLC Reserve de Marche (doesn't one of our members have one?):

JL002B.JPG

It's possible that it's also the Omega Aquaterra Railmaster XXL:

413739BY1HL._AA280_.jpg

But then he briefly turned his hand around during a coffeeshop scene, and it was not the typical JLC or Omega logo on the buckle. Looked like a fat "H" with a hat (not Hublot, no).

God, what is that watch! See what a disease we suffer from? ;)

Do you guys watch this british car show called Fifth Gear? 2 of the hosts are former racing drivers and always wear a diff watch every episode. One of their correspondents also wears a panerai occasionally.

No, we all watch Top Gear with its IWC/TAG/PO wearing presenters (Slow, Hamster and Clarkson, respectively).

Mr. Jeremy Clarkson's antics aside, getting back to watches in movies:

Saw 3:10 to Yuma, and I was wrong. As apparently in the original, there is of course frequent sighting of a beautiful pocket watch, owned by the top Pinkerton official.

At one point in the film, the pocket watch gets a full 2 second cameo where I excitedly leant forward to see the marque (startling the two frat boys I was seated next to -- hehe, I wonder what they thought of that).

S.......... & H........, I believe were the initials.

Any of you watch experts, perhaps Nanuq who loves older timepieces given that famous photo ;), might have a clue which marque that is?

I want to say the last name is H for "Hamilton", as in the famous American watch company, but maybe that's a forced mind association.

...the film itself was good. Watchable (pun intended). And it certainly is a good modern effort at the Western genre (never a fave of mine). It's not all I heard it was on Charlie Rose though. Still, good effort. Worth watching. B+