When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Rant

eunomians

Well, since I decided to browse the kinda lonely IWC sub-forum, I figured this is as good of a time as any to complain yet again:

Why the hell are there no accurate reps of the classic MK XV? And I'm not talking about that Spitfire crap. The Mark XV is simple, perfect and in direct lineage of great aviation/military watches such as the MK IX, X, XII... So much history. It is such a shame that there are no correct MK XVs repped.

Oh well ***sigh*** Here are lots of pics of some beautiful IWC watches of which there are no decent reps of...

3073-7148.jpg

3073-7149.jpg

3073-7150.jpg

3073-7151.jpg

3073-7152.jpg

3073-7153.jpg

3073-7154.jpg

3073-7155.jpg

3073-7156.jpg

3073-7157.jpg

3073-7158.jpg

3073-7159.jpg

3073-7160.jpg

Well, since I decided to browse the kinda lonely IWC sub-forum, I figured this is as good of a time as any to complain yet again:

Why the hell are there no accurate reps of the classic MK XV? And I'm not talking about that Spitfire crap. The Mark XV is simple, perfect and in direct lineage of great aviation/military watches such as the MK IX, X, XII... So much history. It is such a shame that there are no correct MK XVs repped.

Eunomians, in keeping with your previous IWC rant topics, I'm there to try and help unravel this seemingly eternal mystery.

My thoughts are that we will never see an improved Mark XV rep. The current rep is what we'll forever be stuck with (and on that basis, there might be some twisted logic in buying it before stocks run out, so we can stare at it, in amazement at how the rep manufacturers totally dropped the ball on this one).

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll never see a proper MK XV rep for two reasons:

First, the MK XV is such a simple watch to rep compared, for example, to the GST. Given that they still haven't repped it properly by now, and there has been no change in circumstances in our favour, I cannot see them revisting this watch.

Second, the Mark XVI is coming out this year, and it will get more attention, so the rep manufacturers will just continue to ignore the MK XV. I can however see them repping the Mark XVI, and *if* there is enough interest in it, perhaps they'll see this as an easy money-making exercise and milk the customers' wallets until they get it right by the third or fourth generation...

Of course, on the other hand, the rep manufacturers might decide to do with the Mark XV what they did with the GST, i.e. wait 2-3 years after IWC has discontinued it, and then make a nearly perfect rep of it. If that's the case, I'd rather buy a second hand gen right now than wait all that time.

this one actually doesn't look that bad:

6160-5900.jpg

minute and third hand too short, IWC schaffhausen writing wrong size, not sure if the hands are black (should be silver) but all in all the best i've seen so far.

if there were no IWC/markxv text at all i'd take it!

Edited by Hok

this one actually doesn't look that bad:

7785-5387.jpg

minute and third hand too short, IWC schaffhausen writing wrong size, not sure if the hands are black (should be silver) but all in all the best i've seen so far.

if there were no IWC/markxv text at all i'd take it!

The big trouble I see with this rep is that the dial markers are MKII not MKXV. BIG NO NO.

I'm with you on this one. I'm a big fan of these IWC's. I bet there is a pretty damn good market for well-replicated versions.

I'll be the second in line!!

dealer sichuan on rpc

EDIT: seems to be a gen. :excl:

post-617-1143194708.jpg

Edited by Hok

Second, the Mark XVI is coming out this year, and it will get more attention, so the rep manufacturers will just continue to ignore the MK XV. I can however see them repping the Mark XVI, and *if* there is enough interest in it, perhaps they'll see this as an easy money-making exercise and milk the customers' wallets until they get it right by the third or fourth generation...

i'm really curious if a good mark XVI will come.

unfortunately, if you have seen the gen, it looks just like a sinn 656, stripped of any sexyness. so still praying for this unlikely mark xv rep...

EDIT: another, better version, joshua has it:

12312-4257.jpg

framed date window, minute and third hand too short, hour markers look strange, ?transparent caseback?... *sigh*

Edited by Hok

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Schaffhausen two weeks ago and took the latest IWC magazine with me. I'll attach you a copy of the page with the new Pilot's Watches incl. the Mark XVI. To my untrained eyes the watches don't look bad at all.

Cheers

psda

Thanks for the IWC magazine pic. I am sure that I would have to pick up a MK XVI if I saw it in person. Somehow though, it does not seem to fit in the line of the legendary Mark watches. The rectangular TYPE 48 Mark hands are the finishing touch to all the Mark series. The arrow/sword hands are cool, but they are very Sinn style, not IWC style. I do welcome the larger size of the MK XVI though.

CHEERS

Thanks for the IWC magazine pic. I am sure that I would have to pick up a MK XVI if I saw it in person. Somehow though, it does not seem to fit in the line of the legendary Mark watches. The rectangular TYPE 48 Mark hands are the finishing touch to all the Mark series. The arrow/sword hands are cool, but they are very Sinn style, not IWC style. I do welcome the larger size of the MK XVI though.

CHEERS

If you or somebody else want the whole magazine I could make it available to you, maybe I scan it and put it on a server? The other watches portrayed are the new: Big Pilot, Spitfire Chronograph, Pilot's Double Chronograph, Pilot's Watch Special Ed Saint Exupéry, the Spitfires, Portuguese Chrono- Automatic Edition Laureus, Portuguese Perpetual Calendar, Portuguese Tourbillon Mystère, Portuguese Minute Repeater, Portuguese Chrono Automatic, the new black ceramic cases, Aquatimer "Calypso". And interviews with Jean Alesi and Cate Blanchett.

I tried to scan the page instead of posting a foto but that exceeded the space limit.

Cheers

psda

look at what the easter bunny dug out!

26790-738.jpg

26790-739.jpg

the gen:

26790-740.jpg

ask EL or andrew. it just looks STRAIGHT PERFECT, gen hasn't even AR, only thing that concerns me is the size, should be 42mm but EL posted it as 39mm...

and you know that there's a gen in titanium, just as in the GST, right?

26790-741.jpg

Edited by Hok

ask EL or andrew. it just looks STRAIGHT PERFECT, gen hasn't even AR, only thing that concerns me is the size, should be 42mm but EL posted it as 39mm...

and you know that there's a gen in titanium, just as in the GST, right?

Titanium! Want! Etc.

It's near-perfect, but the minute tick marks are too short for a start. There's your instant-rep spotting technique. :D

I still want one in Titanium. Or the white-faced one.

Titanium! Want! Etc.

It's near-perfect, but the minute tick marks are too short for a start. There's your instant-rep spotting technique. :D

I still want one in Titanium. Or the white-faced one.

not sure if the hand color is right, either. hope both errors will be corrected with the titanium version :whistling:

i think a relume would also do good, since the markers seem to be done quite sleazily.

hope the crystal is ok, the domed sapphire on the gen is said to be quite impressing.

btw, do you think it uses the same case as the GST?

Edited by Hok