When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1665 info req.

rosnik

Just one little update on my 1665 mods.

I went to my watch-man to get one T39 TROPIC. :cc_scooter:

The man get out the glass holder ring for me, and I had one bud surprise! :cc_surrender:

No upper case O-ring was under the glass ring!

So the watch man get one from his collection, and get the O-ring in the apposite place on the case and under the glass ring .

Now the watch-man was without T39 and get one order for me; may be I'll receive tomorrow.

This no O-ring , leave me just one bit attuned.

Don't MBW, normally, get that glass o-ring ?

Edited by rosnik

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No they don't and they don't need it. This just adds a little bit more water reistance. Not much. I would personally add one, but I am pretty anal about that stuff. :)

I think that if there is one o-ring space, the best is to get one o-ring on there. ;)

Thank you for the replay RepAustria.

rosnik- did u drill the holes to fit the gen springbars? ur caseback looks great!

Yes I do it :D

The work for holes to fit the gen springbars,

was done using one profy drilling machine, holding the 1665 case on one piece of hood at the correct perpendicular position.

The drilling was with 1mm, then 1.1 mm, then 1.2mm and only finally 1.3mm .

I reduced the case shape near the holes too , like you can see on the upper pictures.

uh ? Liar ? Me ...well I'm not sure I get it RosNik :o

Sorry Steph :wub:

But I see the great replicas you have in your signature.

I thought you would be one great modder man!

Wile believe me, if you'll get one hardware shop tour you 'll find all you need.

Edited by rosnik

Sorry Stephane,

please help me, this is one picture from your Rolex Sea Dweller Great White

3D.

281510-11122.jpg

Is this Tropic Flat or is it superdome?

I ask for it, because I received my T39 today, but appear to me it have one different shape......... :g:

See the joke picture I posted before........

Sorry guys!

you are in right, that upper picture is horrible! :cold:

Here some extra pictures, but I find really difficult to get one Tropic picture! :giveup:

I simply ordered one T39.

Is this Dome or is it Flat type?

Wile tomorrow I'll get it on MBW1665 ;)

dscn4016ej4.jpg

dscn4019nk0.jpg

Edited by rosnik

Ah, finally, Bob's graph paper pics, just what I was thinking about :D.

Sorry to pee on your chips here Rosnik, but IMO that ain't no superdome. Assuming it's been fitted correctly, from the side profile shot, it looks like it sits too high above the bezel - much more like a flattie. Also the curvature does not have quite enough 'domeness', more partly elliptical than spherical, hard to explain.

Of course, one thing which would help is if you could tell us what it came in? The superdomes come in an individual white opaque wax baggie with green Rolex logo. The flatties come in transparent plastic baggies with red logo. The rep generic superdomes typically come loose as they've been removed from their suspect fat rolls of 20+. They may get the distortion right, that's easy enough given trial and error and a knowledge of optics, but the physical appearance is different........considering all the evidence, I'm guessing that's actually what you have there, a rep superdome. And since I paid less than

Nanuq's photo is very telling. With one exception (Clarks), the 2 aftermarket Superdomes I have both suffer from this telltale ring of distortion, which makes images viewed through them somewhat distorted and a bit foggy. The Clarks lens does have a small bit of distortion, but the ring is much wider and affects the circumference/edge of the lens (as opposed to the much more important center) and is much less noticeable if held up in the same position as the lens in Nanuq's photo.

The salient feature of Clarks lens and the thing that puts it head and shoulders above all of its (aftermarket) competition is its clarity, which is on par with the gen. The following picture (originally taken to compare dials) demonstrates the difference in clarity between an aftermarket lens (on left) and Clark's (on right). Compare the diffused, doubled image of the lamp reflected in the aftermarket lens on the left (I think this was from Helfands, but I am not positive) and compare the image in the Clark's lens on the right

drsd_dialcomparison2.jpg

Because the dials are different, it is not a completely fair comparison, but I can tell you that images viewed through a Clark's (or gen) Superdome are crystal clear in contrast to the same image viewed through the slightly foggier and hazier filter of most aftermarket Superdomes.

Actually, the metal 'washer' normally found beneath the bezel on the 1665 (both gen and MBW) IS a spring. It should have a slight bend in it. The amount of bend controls the tension on the bezel -- the flatter the spring, the easier the bezel turns, the more bend in the spring, the tighter the bezel is to turn.

Your 1665 MBW should have the flat spring below the bezel. If it is missing, I would contact the person you bought the watch from.

I finally located the "spring"/ flat washer on my mbk1680... it was stuck under the bezel as you mentioned! I had actually looked at it on a few occassions but thought that it was just part of the bezel. Tried pulling on it today and it came right off.

I tried bending it slightly... but I am not sure how it is supposed to be bent. All I did was position the washer between two fingers and bend it slightly then pop it back on the watch.

I find that flat washer under my bezel too. ;)

About my MBW 1665 mods.

Now,

I'm planning to mod. the crown area,

like I done on one non MBW DRSD ( http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=41316&hl= ) enlarging the crown guards area to the correct 8.0 mm , and to get one 24-7030 tube and 703 crown set.

Are this GEN code correct for 1665?