When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2 Questions

Edge

Well actually more than 2 questions:

What size drill bits do you guys use to do the lugs/bracelet on Vintage Rolex's? Any Sources?

Jetsons was great to point me to some but they don't ship internationally and the measurement is in inches so not really ttransferrable.

Next.......

Where do yo guys source Genuine Springbars??

Last but not least.....

Why wont people apply tritium??

And don't say cos it's radioactive....

Tritium (3H) T : maximum effect kC-H /kC-T ~ 16

Half life of 12.28 years, radiation = beta, range in air 4.7 mm, doesn’t present external

radiation hazard.

.....Cos I am a chemist

I contacted Doxa and asked why no Tritium on their watches and they said because of studies linking it to impotence.

I guess to many ppl put their hands in their pockets.

ONLY if you get it on your hands and don't get it off, then nip upstairs and play wit yersel.

If you are carefull there is NO harm from tritium I mean the radiation is weak enough to be stopped by a bit paper. And it'll only do you any harm if you start drinkin the fukin stuff lol.

Companies don't use it that much because of the PROLONGED exposure that it MAY cause problems with the folk applying it, but we are talking about putting it on like 1 or 2 watches not 3000+ a year lol.

If it's for your 1680 then 1.3mm is the size to use. Try these guys for carbide bits and make sure your drill is spinning fast enough when you drill them. Good idea to put a piece of masking tape over the hole just in case you slip. Then very slightly grind off the burr using a tapered grinding tool for a Dremel. Then just repolish the sides. Easy really.

Drill Bits

Guest avitt

These bit are perfect.

For the lugs:

Snap-on Cobalt Drill Bit #55

For the end links:

Snap-on Cobalt Drill Bit #46

I have great success with the following technique:

Secure the piece in a bench vice (I used rubber jaw pads, to avoid damaging the case). Use a handheld power drill, at relatively low speed. Be sure to use a lubricant on each lug (I used 1 drop of 3-in-1 oil). These will cut through like it's butter...you should be able to handle your whole collection with a single bit (but you might want to buy 2, just in case). Good luck.

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

These pop up on ebay all the time. I'll probably get one just because they are pretty cool :whistling:

They have big phosphor lined tubes that have tritiun gas in them. (Maybe I'll make a great big Luminox :bangin: ) I thought about trying to extract the tritium for watch lume but I'm not sure about the gas deal. I think watch dials have powdered tritium.

Anyone have any input on this deal?

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

These pop up on ebay all the time. I'll probably get one just because they are pretty cool :whistling:

They have big phosphor lined tubes that have tritiun gas in them. (Maybe I'll make a great big Luminox :bangin: ) I thought about trying to extract the tritium for watch lume but I'm not sure about the gas deal. I think watch dials have powdered tritium.

Anyone have any input on this deal?

The powder you speak of is a Tritium based crystal, they are not usually 100% tritium, but they are called tritium anyway lol. The titium based crystals are what is used on watch dials, you will find it VERY idfficult to change any T gas into crystals without access to a VERY sophisticated lab.

There's your answer Chris. You need 14,000,000 gallons of water!!!!!!!!!!!! Plenty of that in Scotland. :lol:

Unfortunately as per chewin' the fat, the scheemies [censored] in it and that neutralises the Tritium lol.

Another answer:

Unlike the English Scottish water is FAR too pure to contain Tritium lol. Ours HASN'T been through someone on average 8 times.

Thanks for the help btw.

The powder you speak of is a Tritium based crystal, they are not usually 100% tritium, but they are called tritium anyway lol. The titium based crystals are what is used on watch dials, you will find it VERY idfficult to change any T gas into crystals without access to a VERY sophisticated lab.

I have a decent meth lab :Jumpy: