When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Red Sub on the Bay

cskent69

not sure about the dial.. and the bright white hands sure dont match the dial markers... case and crown look correct.. its prob a regular 1680 with a aftermarket red dial and new hands. I'd wanna see some good documentation if i was paying an extra $5000 over and above a regular white sub.

Lonnie

Mmmmmmm, Stephane, please send it to me.

I might even cough up one of my genuine Superdome tropic 39s in trade.....

:whistling:

:angry: too late !!!

I bought 3 super domes, paid 2 and finaly got one :p

(Imagine how much that one costs now)

How bad that is...one of these days I will say from who I had these problems by the way.

It's has been 2 months only though, so I still give this person a chance to honour his word.

Now, back to the topic:

Again, it's a matter of giving your word. I did.

So this baby will never be sold to anywone unless the former owner give me his green light.

But, having said that, I do not want to sell it anyway :group: ...more vintage should arrive soon !

Cheers Mr Nanuq

The magic words "not refinished" are missing from the description. Once the dial is refinished it may as well be purple, original or not.

It's a looker though isn't it ;-). I'd love to have either watch pictured in this post!

Well I'm so happy to have mine !

Come on, aren't we smart enough to build beauties from scratch instead of poking on a genuine fake ?!

:bangin:

Probably an NDT fullfake. They lately seem to sell aftermarket cases with dials and gen movements... also gen crowns and sometimes gen bands.

Stay away - unless it is cheap.

Agreed. They pull the movement from other Rolex watches with the same movement, and then put the parts together into a hybrid (yeah - aftermarket case). Next thing you know - you have added $2000 to a $3000 datejust.

I wouldn't worry about the date on that watch, the whole problem is the dial, and yes, the hands don't even come close to matching the lume on the dial- maybe they were replaced, but that detracts from the value, also.

A 6 million serial # is very, very questionably late for a true red sub. You hear the old story about red subs being sold in other parts of the world until almost 1980, which is what this watch dates to... but the white dials came out in the early 70's and my 5.2million gen from 1978 has the white dial. I'd question any red sub w/ a SN that dates it much past '74-5, w/o some damn good provenance.

And Genevanetusa sells Rolex watches with the aftermarket dials- 16610's w/ various dials- the old disclaimer- Rolex warranty no longer applies. They refurbish these watches and sell them on ebay day in and day out. I'd definitely stay away from this one.