When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Correct Cartier Santos Dial Project Part 2.

rocket754

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

although I must say Rocket man, the longer I wait, and that Santos sits in my watch case, the more I realize that my Santos is not as nice as what I see on the market these days.... :wounded1:

No doubt that all the new reps coming out these days make our old reps not seem as cool. But I got to say Woody- the Santos 100 is a timeless (no pun intended :lol: ) watch.

The Santos can be a super rep for cheaper than most so called super reps these days. I will be selling 1 fully modded watch when I am done. The other one will be my own personal watch.

Keep in mind you could get a asian movt santos for less than a 100 bucks I would recommend getting the swiss version though.

get a new gen croc strap for 180 ish...

correct dial for 45 ish

Once you put together these elements you will have one closest reps in the game :D

I realize this project is taking forever but I had no idea how time consuming this would be when I started.

Once you put together these elements you will have one closest reps in the game :D

I realize this project is taking forever but I had no idea how time consuming this would be when I started.

Well we realize your efforts Rocket...and for that, thank you very much.

Cheers

Stephane

Well we realize your efforts Rocket...and for that, thank you very much.

Cheers

Stephane

I love this project! With all this attention on the dial, is there anything on the case that is innacurate? TWP seems to have a nice santos. What do you guys think about his?

http://watchgroup.net/index.php?main_page=...products_id=248

I love this project! With all this attention on the dial, is there anything on the case that is innacurate? TWP seems to have a nice santos. What do you guys think about his?

http://watchgroup.net/index.php?main_page=...products_id=248

The only thing really needed on this watch is the dial. Everything else is accurate. Well...the crown sapphire is not the correct cut but that is not a big deal when compared to the dial. The leather strap is usually junk but with some leather conditioner it could look ok I suppose.

This is a great rep straight out of the box but after all these years the rep makers never decided to correct the dial cause the santos 100 is not a big seller when compared to PAMs and other hot watches these days. no need to pour more money into a watch that is at the end of it's economic life cycle.

Btw..I saw this while searching for some parts today. Someone is selling a bad rep for 3k on the bay <_<

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cartier-Santos-100-18k...7QQcmdZViewItem

No advance payment needed. The maker is making the last correction now. I am really hoping this version comes back with no corrections needed. I don't want to delay this another time, which would be really frustrating for me. I will be sure to keep everyone posted. Maybe someone could post a how to on swaping the strap out for those who want to swap the rep strap out. It's sort of a pain.

Thanks goes out to everyone for their help and patiences.

No advance payment needed. The maker is making the last correction now. I am really hoping this version comes back with no corrections needed. I don't want to delay this another time, which would be really frustrating for me. I will be sure to keep everyone posted. Maybe someone could post a how to on swaping the strap out for those who want to swap the rep strap out. It's sort of a pain.

Thanks goes out to everyone for their help and patiences.

Great work so far rocket, :thumbsupsmileyanim: can't wait to see the results. I'm still in for one, and can, (like many others I'm sure), pay an advance if needed; can't see any sense in you being out of pocket.

Like the strap tutorial suggestion, I'm still debating whether to get the gen or one from Aaron

As an interesting aside, and whilst waiting for my own Santos to arrive from Silix, (UK postal strikes :angry: ), I re-read new & improved osteopath's post about the Santos Chrono with the 7753 movement, and I'm seriously considering getting one - any thoughts?

prof

the 7753 santos chrono is a highly accurate rep. there is no doubt there. If you are looking at one and want to get one I would say go for it cause you won't be dissapointed. At that price point it had better be highly accurate.

The santos 100 and the swiss santos chrono are two different animals though. The santos 100 is a more simplistic watch asthetically speaking. The plus about it is that it can be made to near perfect for a relatively low cost.

Is there a good review of a Santos 100 somewhere? I can't find one... so i am kind of clueless towards possible flaws on this model. I have an older asian Santos100 and i think it's pretty accurate. Since i like it quite a bit i am considering upgrading to a swiss version but it would have to be a real ungrade... not just a more expensive movement ;)

Any comments please ??

Is there a good review of a Santos 100 somewhere? I can't find one... so i am kind of clueless towards possible flaws on this model. I have an older asian Santos100 and i think it's pretty accurate. Since i like it quite a bit i am considering upgrading to a swiss version but it would have to be a real ungrade... not just a more expensive movement ;)

Any comments please ??

Well...here is the rub. I was told by the maker that it should fit the Asian copy of the ETA movement but to error on the safe side I would really recommend putting this in a Swiss version.

Silix offers the Swiss Santos 100 for relatively low cost which is really my goal with this whole project (create something to transform the Santos 100 into a near perfect rep for cheap).

I believe we all should be entitled to a great rep without having to pay top dollar (there was a time that we could get a good rep for 150 bucks ). The Santos 100 -for me personally- is a great rep that you don't see very many people wearing. It's classy, masculine and has presence IMHO. The Santos 100 reps really haven't changed much over time. The cases crowns and straps have remained relatively unchanged. The Asian versions don't typically have and accurate clasp though. There are many different versions of the dials though and the sad part is that non of them are right. TWP Asian version is the closest dial that I have seen but since I know my dial will fit in the ETA version I would choose your model with that in mind.

I will tell you that I have seen pictures of a brand new updated Santos 100 model from one our dealers and it does have a few refinements and (lucky for me) the dial is still wrong. It would be a sad day for me if they came out with a new version that had a correct dial. I wouldn't be sad for long though cause I would buy it in a heartbeat. :p

Ok, so to get back on subject here. I will try to put a dial in a Asian movement version I have and of course if it fits then that should cover everyone. I believe the issue here is the feet on the dial. The ETA dial feet are not the same layout as an Asian movement version but again this is something that can be verified once I actually get the product in hand.

The only thing now is that I am just waiting at this point. When I get the final sample then the bad news would have to be that I would be waiting another few weeks for all the dials to be made and shipped. Honestly, I don't think I will be getting a final product shipped to me until thanksgiving. <_< I REALLY hope this won't be the case but I want to let everyone know what kind of time frame I am working with here and also to let everyone know what to expect.