When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should Women Wear Panerai Watches?

Victoria

I'm not too sure how 'on topic' this would be, and I admit, it's been at least a decade since I read the novel, but I seem to recall that in Thunderball, Fleming made reference to Domino wearing "a man's watch" (I think her dead brother's watch) and the statement it made. Just a little something along the theme :)

Actually quite a relevant point, and one that reminds me of another of Fleming's creations, the one and only Pussy Galore, played by the husky-voiced Honor Blackman in Goldfinger.

Of course, both the book and film left little to the imagination that Pussy, did, in fact, "bat for the other side", her all-female troupe of acrobats/pilots, her seeming imperviousness to Bond's charm, etc. But what clinched it was Blackman's sporting none other than a Rolex GMT 6542 in her guise as Goldfinger's pilot. In every way, unconscionable in the '60s. Of course, eventually Bond "cured" her. :whistling:

bondgoldf3yh4.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually quite a relevant point, and one that reminds me of another of Fleming's creations, the one and only Pussy Galore, played by the husky-voiced Honor Blackman in Goldfinger.

Of course, both the book and film left little to the imagination that Pussy, did, in fact, "bat for the other side", her all-female troupe of acrobats/pilots, her seeming imperviousness to Bond's charm, etc. But what clinched it was Blackman's sporting none other than a Rolex GMT 6542 in her guise as Goldfinger's pilot. In every way, unconscionable in the '60s. Of course, eventually Bond "cured" her. :whistling:

bondgoldf3yh4.jpg

Absolutley, Bond's "cure" was rather cringeworthy, but a pretty accurate representation of the mentalities/attitudes of the era. I'll never forget reading an article in a men's health magazine years ago which said that if Bond were real, rather than being a suave lothario, he would be an impotent, physical wreck of a man :lol: (Strangely enough, one of the effects of a carpet beater to the testicles :lol: )

I have to admit, as much as I can remember that some reference was made about Domino's watch, I can't remember precicely what the reference was... It was one of the novels I paid least attention too, my favorites were The Man with the Golden Gun and From Russia, With Love. (the second of which also featured 'sexual deviants', as did The Spy Who Loved Me)

Edited by TeeJay

Actually quite a relevant point

Only if one believes women who wear men's watches are inclined towards bisexuality or lesbianism, even subconsciously.

In this forum alone, you have a straight girl who wears Panerai watches. And a lesbian girl who wears Panerai watches.

Mind you, a girl did try to kiss me in the age old practise known as "lifting" at my boarding school, but I ducked. If memory serves, I was wearing my Mickey Mouse at the time.

Confidence, not sexuality, is the key to wearing big watches. :tu:

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, and flip the argument on it's head slightly, what would people think of a man who was wearing what was clearly (through size/color/jewel-coatings) a woman's watch? Would they think he was wearing the watch of a female loved one, or would they think he 'prefered the company of men'?

As pointed out, a watch is nothing more than a piece of jewellery which tells the time. There are, however, design distinctions between those intended for men, those intended for women, and those intended to be unisex. While there is nothing wrong with someone wearing a watch designed for the opposite sex, one must acknowledge and appreciate that deliberate fashion choices, which go against the general convention, will be noticed, and will lead to people making assumptions about the wearer. I'm sure people make assumptions about my sexuality because of my shoulder length hair, but I accept that that is the price to pay for a little bit of individuality. (Ironically, in an adult DVD store, there was not one DVD or magazine aimed for gay audiences which featured a long-haired man :lol:)

Personally, I think people should just look and dress as they want (within the acceptable confines of their industry) and simply ignore the attitudes and comments of those who are so insecure in their own skins that they need to criticize others to divert the attention from themselves or make themselves feel less awkward. B)

Only if one believes women who wear men's watches are inclined towards bisexuality or lesbianism, even subconsciously.

In this forum alone, you have a straight girl who wears Panerai watches. And a lesbian girl who wears Panerai watches.

Mind you, a girl did try to kiss me in the age old practise known as "lifting" at my boarding school, but I ducked. If memory serves, I was wearing my Mickey Mouse at the time.

Confidence, not sexuality, is the key to wearing big watches. :tu:

:rolleyes:

Oh please, did I say anything about modern-day sexuality? The Madonna reference? I already said that was about pure attention-seeking, like you wearing a Panerai is, consciously or not, about making a fashion statement. Which is all about confidence, as you say yourself.

I actually meant relevant in terms of the reference to Bond girls and the attitudes illustrated by both someone of Fleming's generation and the times he was writing in. The thread is after all, about girls and big watches (ok Panerai specifically but only because they typify the most obvious and overtly 'men's' watch), and the evolution of attitudes and tastes since. I mean adorning Ms Blackman with a GMT? Subtle but at the same time, so overt. I'm interested only in a historical sense and as a Bond aficionado - I wasn't even born in the '60s.

Apologies then for straying 'off topic', I thought it an interesting tangent - tell you what, let's just get back to sticking resolutely on-topic and have multiple posts saying "yeah big watches on chicks look cooool".

One final thing, I'm a little confused VB - you clearly love your Pams (so much even to the point of putting some of us to shame :D), you continually reaffirm it's all about having confidence (of which you clearly lack none), wrist size or not, and with the possible exception of a pink-gatored Fiddy, good taste is good taste, and gender is irrelevant.

So I admit I'm curious then as to why you started this thread in the first place, with its questioning title. Seeking reassurance? Curious as to attitudes out there? Why do you care? You shouldn't. YOU like wearing Panerai. That should be enough.

A reminder perhaps that my only original thought on the subject was to merely post a pic of Heidi Klum as conclusive evidence. Nothing more worth adding IMO.

Went to Haiti and the entire front desk hotel staff, male and female, reeked of Chanel No. 5. I felt amused, but sad at the same time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not so bad as it seems V. Not knowing the difference,either out of ignorance, or because of various cultural ethics,is pure innocence.

BTW, I am making my own and my wife's perfumes and cosmetics,and believe me, it is very hard to make a mistake in the mix,unless of course you want to "unisexy" :rolleyes:

What I wanted to say was, that I do like a female seal warrior with a big watch, maybe with a hint of healthy envy. But I am ,"go out and STAY out ", for a man to try feminine accessories like perfumes and jewelery,and feeling good in doing so.

Mind you I am not some kind of racist or finger pointer,accusing human nature. Just a matter of- wrong or right- taste.

Apologies then for straying 'off topic', I thought it an interesting tangent - tell you what, let's just get back to sticking resolutely on-topic and have multiple posts saying "yeah big watches on chicks look cooool".

What, what now? This after I gave you the longest reply where I mentioned FRIKKIN ARISTOTLE as one of my supporting points, mais non, DBR! Don't throw this on my lap.

We're talking. You made a point, I countered, that's it.

For the record, I think you like feminine girls who wear shiny pink Swatches and blingy Tag Heuers.

I wear shiny pink Swatches, and blingy Tag Heuers, but not exclusively. Like many women, I like wearing what I like, without seeking the approval of people around me, some of them males. Even more than that, I do so for my own pleasure, not anyone else's. I would bet you that 99% of women are like this, though let's not forget that .sig with Vic Reeves' quote on stats.

Further, it's interesting that of all the Risti women on the gen forum, not an one of them is unmarried, even Amanda.

It seems they get into PAM on their own, already married, or as part of their husband's hobby.

I'm fairly sure they are not masculine, seen as masculine, Pussy Galores or Madonna wannabes, as well as seeking the attention of men within the forum. How about outside the forum? Dunno. But I think not either.

In short, women like Panerai watches more than Breitlings, Bell & Rosses, Rolex Submariners, and any slew of consciously "male" watches because it's a graceful timepiece, which is chameleon-like.

Now, please note, this is not FACT, this is my opinion. But I'll stand by it.

So I admit I'm curious then as to why you started this thread in the first place, with its questioning title. Seeking reassurance? Curious as to attitudes out there? Why do you care? You shouldn't. YOU like wearing Panerai. That should be enough.

1) Because I've never heard the topic discussed SERIOUSLY here. Just with women in bathtubs with Panerais on their bumcracks and between their nipples.

2) Because I wanted to show people that pink straps and Fiddies are hideous. If any lady wears them, they are dishonouring the history, the purpose, and the beauty of this marque by so doing.

Reason 1 is the most important. Reason 2 was self-evident but sometimes even self-evident things need to be said.

What I wanted to say was, that I do like a female seal warrior with a big watch, maybe with a hint of healthy envy.

Heh. Non-aggressive frankness, Wjlamp. You practise it well. :)

But I am ,"go out and STAY out ", for a man to try feminine accessories like perfumes and jewelery,and feeling good in doing so.

Mind you I am not some kind of racist or finger pointer,accusing human nature. Just a matter of- wrong or right- taste.

No, no. We all have our standards, of course.

Let me just say that in the West, as everyone knows, it's easier for a woman to appropriate the masculine, than for a man to appropriate the feminine. The reason why I already have said above in the thread.

That's life, baby. ;)

P.S.: They stole a ring from my luggage in that Hotel room, so there are worse things to be worried about there, than clerks wearing Chanel No. 5! :o:lol:

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, and flip the argument on it's head slightly, what would people think of a man who was wearing what was clearly (through size/color/jewel-coatings) a woman's watch? Would they think he was wearing the watch of a female loved one, or would they think he 'prefered the company of men'?

On another rep forum, there was a thread (I haven't read but the first), where a black American quarterback of great renown, Donovan McNabb, was mentioned. It said something like, "Did you see the news conference where Donovan McNabb was wearing a Cartier Santos?? What did you think about THAT?".

Between whiffs of racism and homophobia...what a choice...I'd rather the poster was mentioning that it was odd to see a butch gridiron QB wearing "a lady's watch" (specifically, Cartier is seen as a lady's marque), than being astonished that a black person could wear such a nice timepiece.

In fact, I don't know the point the original poster was making. I'll go find out by the replies, and report back. :)

UPDATE: phpBB : "Critical Error Could not connect to the database" RWI down, again. More later.

LATER UPDATE: Got a direct reply from the chap:

"The answer would be #1. I posted it in the same vein that others have posted watches that various movie, TV, and political people wear. I'm always interested in what people who can afford to wear anything choose for themselves. No personal/professioal/sociological observation on Donavan McNabb. BTW, we like the same soup too..........".

I had inquired, using 3 examples, about his motivation in posting about Donovan wearing the Cartier. So you see his innocuous, and perfectly reasonable reply. It's as if someone had mentioned John Terry had been wearing a Gucci watch. Curiosity, is all.

Should men wear little pink furry hats? No, but there is nothing wrong with a lady wearing a Panerai. The look of an oversized watch on a womans wrist is great, and quite fashionable.

Haha. I love this forum... We go so deep into a subject that it makes one forgot a world beyond RWG exists... Memories from the olden golden days! :D And yes, panerai does look sexy on a woman, but not a Breitling... I don't know, but there is something more feminine about Panerais to begin with.

If you think she's a dude, check again. Could be wrong though. She's on Risti -- ring her up. ;)

Well obviously you ruined it with the 'body' shot :rolleyes:

I was really just baiting you (successfully) with the Panerai *check* comment ;) but you've got to admit, there's seems to be a little *ahem* excess of testosterone evident in the facial features :whistling:

On another rep forum, there was a thread (I haven't read but the first), where a black American quarterback of great renown, Donovan McNabb, was mentioned. It said something like, "Did you see the news conference where Donovan McNabb was wearing a Cartier Santos?? What did you think about THAT?".

Between whiffs of racism and homophobia...what a choice...I'd rather the poster was mentioning that it was odd to see a butch gridiron QB wearing "a lady's watch" (specifically, Cartier is seen as a lady's marque), than being astonished that a black person could wear such a nice timepiece.

In fact, I don't know the point the original poster was making. I'll go find out by the replies, and report back. :)

UPDATE: phpBB : "Critical Error Could not connect to the database" RWI down, again. More later.

LATER UPDATE: Got a direct reply from the chap:

"The answer would be #1. I posted it in the same vein that others have posted watches that various movie, TV, and political people wear. I'm always interested in what people who can afford to wear anything choose for themselves. No personal/professioal/sociological observation on Donavan McNabb. BTW, we like the same soup too..........".

I had inquired, using 3 examples, about his motivation in posting about Donovan wearing the Cartier. So you see his innocuous, and perfectly reasonable reply. It's as if someone had mentioned John Terry had been wearing a Gucci watch. Curiosity, is all.

So what was the overall opinion about men (Or this particular man) wearing such a watch which was usually labeled as a 'woman's watch'? I have to admit, on the wrist checks, when I saw someone wearing a Santos on a rubber strap, I did think ("Isn't that a woman's watch"?) but, because I don't know a whole lot about the marque, I didn't immediately assume that it was solely a woman't watch, as I thought about how the J12 is available for both men and women, and wondered if that specific model might have been a unisex or, (because of the rubber strap) a 'Big Size', like the Planet Ocean series, a kind of 'regular size' = ladies watch, 'Big Size' = gents watch. To be honest, I thought it looked okay, and it didn't make me think anything less of the person wearing it, after all, different strokes for different folks, but it did catch my attention and make me think "Isn't that a woman's watch"?, so even to those not in the know about a certain marque, such subconscious gender distinctions clearly still kick in, and while people seeing a woman wearing a PAM might not question her sexuality, they would still likely identify the watch itself as primarily masculine (Perhaps not a Radiomir) That said, I totally agree with you about PAMs chameleon-like qualities. As you've no doubt gathered, I totally love my 111h, so much so, that I have decided to definitley build a collection of them. I might even make them my primary marque as, as cool as it is to think "I'm wearing James Bond's watch..." I'd rather be an individual, not a Bond-wannabe. The only time I forsee myself wearing an Omega now, is if I dress smartly. That's my new rule. Trousers = Omega, Jeans = Panerai. TO go back to my ramblings about the chameleon quality, as much as I love the 111h on the current toffee-colored strap, putting it onto the black strap I have just doesn't 'look right'. Which is strange, as I love the black strap on my GMT Sub, or on my Submariner, my Planet Ocean, or any other watch... All have black (or very dark grey) dials, as does the 111h, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem to go as well with black, and thinking back, the majority of PAM wrist shots I've seen, have been on straps that weren't black. That said, there is a black strap I want to get, which I've lost the URL for... It's quite a padded strap, with embossed 'pin [censored]' all over. That is a black strap which does look awesome :)