When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should Women Wear Panerai Watches?

Victoria

The worst ones, are the fantasy Lady PAMs I've seen. They just butcher the whole ETHOS of the Panerai marque. :cc_hang:

Really. death1ma.gif

But you are supposed not to have missed this, Victoria, uh?

(Just go forward a few pages and you will find lots of PAMs).

There is also an old thread of mine on RWG I. My pics on 'our' thread here on RWG II are just an excerpt from that old thread.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really. death1ma.gif

But you are supposed not to have missed this, Victoria, uh?

Oh no, I remember that thread well. :yuk:

You know, Sssurfer, when I hit Search to see if this thread idea had been posted before, I came upon many...shall we say...interesting past posts on ladies and Panerai.

Like this:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=25376 (Aww)

And this:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=29012 (OMFG)

But I wonder...

Do any of you remember this charming little thread?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry249802

My God, even Rolli had his tongue hanging out. Geilig wins! :throb::Jumpy::shutup2:

Notice that sort of stuff isn't posted as much on the Panerai threads, anymore. GOSH, wonder why. :lol:

Pink's OK... depends on the lady I guess ;)

Hey Swdivad! Forum members were talking of your avatar and I was missing you, on a post, just the other day. Glad you're "back". :)

I'm not sure why this is, but I have personally seen a East Asian girl wearing the base with a pink strap (so much so, I ran after her to ask where she had bought it -- was wearing my HBB YG at the time though!), and two other-forum members who are Chinese and Singaporean respectively also have wives into pink straps for their PAMs.

Not sure if this is a trend in the Far East, or if I am the exception. As I said, this is my first real coloured "lady" strap. :)

FEED the Troll :)

Panerai's on Ladies are great ... it..it's.... just the shock of the sttrraaapp ... just wonder where they find these PINK crocodiles ... what do you say to a Pink croc..?? :huh: ....You tell me you have the heart to kill a Pink croc.. I think not. :(

No one kills Pinkies. Crocs or panthers As the mighty Clouseau said..." I know that you knew that" ......................... Pink Trolls ???

Since my earlier post of the delectable Ms Klum, I have to say I've yet to see any further conclusive evidence that "yes girls CAN wear Panerai". Wives/GF wrist shots excepted (purely out of courtesy), but really Nicole Kidman? :brow: I think not. Would give her a Colles fracture for starters. That blonde in the suit? Nah, looks very wrong.

Heidi just sets an impossible standard - and vbarrett, you really believe it's a fantasy PAM??? :D

feel like i need to chime in ... my girlfriend MONOPOLISES my 183 ... and the watch gets more comments on her than it ever did on me... PAMs and women seem to be an obvious combination.... women ,i believe,can carry off wearing bigger things better than blokes can esp now since it is fashionable .

Okay, since you're the lone opposing voice, Dani -- tell us why you think women shouldn't or couldn't wear 44mms and above?

(Taking into account your "maybe for some")

Just my opinion and yes big watches are fashion this days but panerais are very macho in their looks so maybe for some a 47mm is ok but in general i say no it dont look good.

But each to his own.

Just my opinion and yes big watches are fashion this days but panerais are very macho in their looks so maybe for some a 47mm is ok but in general i say no it dont look good.

But each to his own.

That's okay, it's not a challenge or anything, Dani. I respect the viewpoint!

I actually do see what you are saying. How can any woman not?

But will you also admit that, as one reviewer in a site said, that when a Panerai goes on a woman's wrist, it ceases to be a big bold macho statement, and transforms itself -- into a sexy piece of jewelry? That this is why they look so good on women.

Well, he just said "it becomes a piece of jewelry on a woman". I filled in the rest. :)

Sometimes, though I'm NOT saying this is how you think, a man sees a woman wear a man's watch, and he takes affront at it.

Not because it says something about her. But because he thinks it somehow casts doubt about his own masculinity. In short, "if a woman wears it, does that mean I'm a bit feminine"?

It's a big thing with men, especially young men.

I have never understood that, because I'm not a man. But also, a woman's femininity is not judged by how unmasculine she is. A man's masculinity is judged by how unfeminine he is.

That's true across almost every human culture which has ever existed.

That's okay, it's not a challenge or anything, Dani. I respect the viewpoint!

I actually do see what you are saying. How can any woman not?

But will you also admit that, as one reviewer in a site said, that when a Panerai goes on a woman's wrist, it ceases to be a big bold macho statement, and transforms itself -- into a sexy piece of jewelry? That this is why they look so good on women.

Well, he just said "it becomes a piece of jewelry on a woman". I filled in the rest. :)

Sometimes, though I'm NOT saying this is how you think, a man sees a woman wear a man's watch, and he takes affront at it.

Not because it says something about her. But because he thinks it somehow casts doubt about his own masculinity. In short, "if a woman wears it, does that mean I'm a bit feminine"?

It's a big thing with men, especially young men.

I have never understood that, because I'm not a man. But also, a woman's femininity is not judged by how unmasculine she is. A man's masculinity is judged by how unfeminine he is.

That's true across almost every human culture which has ever existed.

Actually I must admit I see where Dani's coming from.

Nothing to do with all that psychobabble about masculinity, it just looks awkward and out of proportion, ironically the reason most people comment on seeing a woman wear such a watch. 40mm is passable, 44 depends on the woman and the wrist (Heidi can pull it off but then she can most things) but 47 is just wrong IMO. Call me a caveman all you like but I'm talking about aesthetic sense only.

A woman wearing a Panerai is wearing it to make "a fashion statement" more than anything else. Like Madonna wearing a bloke's suit and smoking a big stogie. Deny it all you want, but it is male attention-seeking in its purest form.

My GF really likes my 'chunky, manly' PAMs but on my wrist only. She will very occasionally 'borrow' one of my Rollies or Tags now and again, but essentially her own watch 'collection' consists merely of two, one for 'smart/work' and one for 'play', both aesthetically attractive but in an understated, proportional, and dare I say it, feminine sense....:whistling:

wac1218ba0852bv3.jpgsfk140eg4.jpg

Actually I must admit I see where Dani's coming from.

Nothing to do with all that psychobabble about masculinity, it just looks awkward and out of proportion, ironically the reason most people comment on seeing a woman wear such a watch. 40mm is passable, 44 depends on the woman and the wrist (Heidi can pull it off but then she can most things) but 47 is just wrong IMO. Call me a caveman all you like but I'm talking about aesthetic sense only.

But I also know where he's coming from, DBR!

Just to clarify:

This thread was never in doubt about where I stood, yes? I want to be crystal about this. The question was completely rhetorical. OF COURSE women should wear Panerai watches!

The title was more in line with my questioning the choice of strap, which clearly was offensive to the history and spirit of the Panerai marque.

But since we've come to this point in the thread, why not! As Joan Rivers says, let's talk.

A woman wearing a Panerai is wearing it to make "a fashion statement" more than anything else.

Well, as are men wearing man bags. It's not common, it happens, sometimes it looks a bit odd, and yes, effeminate, but it shows a deeper awareness of fashion, and a more modern, perhaps more liberal sensibility towards masculinity.

You are right that women are making SOME kind of fashion statement, but not "more than anything else". The only times I think that, is precisely when I see a woman wearing "female" coloured straps, such as pastels.

It can be wonderful on the right woman, but like a purple paintjob on a Mercedes, it often throws a person's taste into question.

Like Madonna wearing a bloke's suit and smoking a big stogie. Deny it all you want, but it is male attention-seeking in its purest form.

It's almost as you're saying that it's a crutch, or to be more precise, some kind of tool whose main purpose is to attract males.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but women dress to impress other women, not other men. Most men don't notice watches. They notice the female form.

Each article of clothing we use today in the West, highlights the female form in some way.

Stiletto heels make women taller, and throw the pelvis forward, provocatively. Padded bras shape the breast into more rounded, therefore, more enticing (subconsciously maternal) contortions. Thong underwear separate each buttock, making male purses race.

I could go on. Indeed, I am taking PayPal donations to go on.

But I just don't see watches falling into that sexually alluring, male eye-catching category.

Bottom line is, women like pretty, shiny things. And you can't get prettier in an outsized male watch today than Panerais.

Else more women would be all over Bell & Rosses.

Not that I am representative of my gender, but I hate Bell & Rosses for myself. :yuk:

My GF really likes my 'chunky, manly' PAMs but on my wrist only. She will very occasionally 'borrow' one of my Rollies or Tags now and again, but essentially her own watch 'collection' consists merely of two, one for 'smart/work' and one for 'play', both aesthetically attractive but in an understated, proportional, and dare I say it, feminine sense....:whistling:

Ah, well, that's a question as you say, of proportionality, a topic which is central to personal taste.

There are absolutes as per Western tastes, of course, as the Greeks like Aristotle taught us to be aware of, but that is certainly more individualistic today.

wac1218ba0852bv3.jpgsfk140eg4.jpg

Wow. Just wow. I'll keep it at that, since it is after all, your girlfriend and I've certainly learnt my lesson.

But let's just say, Tag Heuers and I don't fit. Panerai and I, fit.

Sometimes it's just that simple.

Wow. Just wow. I'll keep it at that, since it is after all, your girlfriend and I've certainly learnt my lesson.

But let's just say, Tag Heuers and I don't fit. Panerai and I, fit.

Sometimes it's just that simple.

No, please by all means, do elaborate on the 'wow'! An ironic 'wow' perhaps? As you said yourself, girls like nice shiney sparkly things, the F1 diamonds is the epitome of that, whilst remaining just the right side of the line in terms of overstatement. Unlike a Fiddy on pink gator.

Unless you have a problem with Tags per se? You're not alone although as a Heuer fan in general, I do tire of that misplaced snobbery, not that I'm suggesting that's the case here.

The Swatch? Fun, inexpensive and, well she is a creative after all :whistling:

Each to their own I suppose.

No, please by all means, do elaborate on the 'wow'! An ironic 'wow' perhaps? As you said yourself, girls like nice shiney sparkly things, the F1 diamonds is the epitome of that, whilst remaining just the right side of the line in terms of overstatement. Unlike a Fiddy on pink gator.

Unless you have a problem with Tags per se? You're not alone although as a Heuer fan in general, I do tire of that misplaced snobbery, not that I'm suggesting that's the case here.

The Swatch? Fun, inexpensive and, well she is a creative after all :whistling:

Each to their own I suppose.

I could elaborate, but I'm feeling frisky. How about a game where you give me all your Tag Heuers and I hide them in my thongs?

But because he thinks it somehow casts doubt about his own masculinity. In short, "if a woman wears it, does that mean I'm a bit feminine"?

It's a big thing with men.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that . Feminine masculinity :rolleyes:

If I could only persuade my wife to wear my watches....just imagine the combined buying force .Doubled.

Of course,I am in accord with females wearing "men's " watches.

The opposite thought makes me shudder .

"Take a whiff of my new Chanel 19 Roberta,does it fit to my tie and shirt colors "

But because he thinks it somehow casts doubt about his own masculinity. In short, "if a woman wears it, does that mean I'm a bit feminine"?

It's a big thing with men.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that . Feminine masculinity :rolleyes:

Or as Beckham calls it, metrosexuality. ;)

If I could only persuade my wife to wear my watches....just imagine the combined buying force .Doubled.

Of course,I am in accord with females wearing "men's " watches.

The opposite thought makes me shudder .

Oh! I thought you meant something different for an instant, before reading below.

As in "Of course, I am in accord with females wearing "men's" watches. The opposite thought makes me shudder. Preventing them from wearing what they like, or controlling their dress habits is a barbaric custom", etc.

"Take a whiff of my new Chanel 19 Roberta,does it fit to my tie and shirt colors "

In some poorer countries that I have visited, sometimes these old favourites like Chanel, Miss Dior, Paco Rabanne, Pierre Cardin, Joy by Jean Patou are the only ones that are available or perhaps, 'cemented' in their minds as expensive perfume.

I'm not sure what is at work there.

Went to Haiti and the entire front desk hotel staff, male and female, reeked of Chanel No. 5. I felt amused, but sad at the same time.

@DBR: Meow!

Well I read through this loop and my conclusion is that it is irrelevant whether it is a man or a woman. In general it is very cool for women to wear men's watches. IMHO, it all relates to the size of your wrist (first and foremost) and then the length of your arm. If it looks like a dinner plate on anyone's wrist I am not a fan. I have tried these on my wife who is slight and we concluded that 40mm or possibly 42mm Radiomir worked on her wrist. But I also believe that any watch that looks like a dinner plate on the wrist looks silly. In your case V I like the 44mm watch better. But it does on many smaller men as well. Then again I am good sized and sometimes I feel silly wearing a 47mm watch. I have a perfected fiddy and it never gets wrist time. :)

I'm not too sure how 'on topic' this would be, and I admit, it's been at least a decade since I read the novel, but I seem to recall that in Thunderball, Fleming made reference to Domino wearing "a man's watch" (I think her dead brother's watch) and the statement it made. Just a little something along the theme :)