When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches of War

Victoria

All this talk of NATO straps, and PVD/kevlar, plus my love of Panerai reminded I've always meant to ask this:

1) Is there a SPECIFIC site where I might find which watches are assigned to which military units around the world?

You know, NAVY SEALS, Commandos, aviators, etc. of any or every country.

2) I already came across this magnificent blogpost on the "Watches of War":

http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2007/02/wris...rilles-and.html

"When German Emperor Wilhelm I visited the Berlin Trade Fair and saw some experimental wrist watches made by Girard-Perregaux of La Chaux de Fonds in Switzerland. He gave an order for 1,000 of these for the German Imperial Navy, and as many as 2,000 such wristwatches were delivered in 1880. This began to change in the nineteenth century when watches were first used to co-ordinate military operations. Pocket watches were awkward to use in combat situations; under a great-coat, on horseback, or under fire, and so military men began fitting pocket watches into cups on specially made leather straps, or asking manufacturers to fit them with chains or straps, so that they could be worn on the wrist."

I never knew that! And he's one of my speciality subjects...

Here are some funky examples of these older military watches:

1917 trench watch

silverhhunterclipshut2ng3.jpg

WWI official German Army-issued Jaeger LeCoultre

jaegerlecoultre1917miligx6.jpg

WWI official RAF-issue watch (well, it wasn't called the RAF until 1918)

britishtrenchdp8.jpg

And US-company Hamilton watch ad from WWII

hamiltonbombtimeradnt1.jpg

(Hmm, Pennsylvania was once abbreviated not just as "PA" but "Penna", cool!)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Section8 bought his dad a rep Rolex 5517 to replace the one his dad bought from his ship's store whlie in the (US) Navy.

Ooh! I Google Imaged Rolex 5517 (not being a Rolex person and didn't know the model), and came upon this great link:

http://www.50717.com/misc/london-2001-01.html

"London Military Watch Scene"

A pictorial and review post on all the London shops selling military watches. FAINT!

"Be sure to visit Portobello and Gray's Antique Market for military watches in London!"

And can you imagine Rolexes being sold at one's PX back when? Are they still??

On a somewhat related note, I enjoyed reading this article on TZ about POW Rolexes - http://www.timezone.com/library/extras/200704246126

*reads* & *thanks*

What's wrong with the anonymizer? I had to manually change the URL of the link I posted.

It was asked before, and Admin replied that when we upgraded, the anonymiser went kaputnik. He didn't exactly say if and when it would return. I think it's invaluable and really basic to have one here, so if he's reading :bye1: please reinstall it? :)

Here is an anecdote about my interest in military watches:

Once visited a friend of mine, and her USAF husband in Pensacola, where he was being trained as a future F-16 or F-15 pilot (I'm sorry, he did tell me the correct plane model, but I can't recall. I do know either the 16/15 is a USN-only plane though. I forget which), despite it being a US Navy base.

To my astonishment, there were several foreign personnel being trained there, and I met Saudi, German et. al. pilots galore. The Saudis kept to themselves, and seemed very ill-at-ease with women in general, but the other nationals were friendly enough. Some were actually quite flirtatious.

Then, a party of aviators (naval-only term) took me out to an Irish pub which is famous all over the FL Panhandle and military community, apparently.

That's when I realised that ALL the guys had on exactly the same watches. The US-ones had one which I will never forget, but whose marque I stupidly forgot to ask.

It was like a Casio G-Shock, but much more intricate. One guy even explained they were Mach Force resistant (as can be imagined), but they didn't seem very forthcoming with info, perhaps because it was sensitive for civilians??, so I didn't press the topic.

Ever since, I've wanted to know which watch that was.

My friend's husband did take me to his local PX. An enormous cavern of a place, like a mini-Walmart. Dead cheap cigarettes, and yes, a few watches, but nothing like a Rolex.

This is my favorite War Watch B)

1016_102-960x768.jpg

Not a fan of the Tudors (yes, I know, I just made many enemies by saying this), but that's a nice one!

"Issued by the Marine Nationale (French Navy) in

1976, the decommissioning papers that came

with this watch indicate it was retired from service

in September of 1999."

Ahh, la Marine Nationale. So many jokes, so little time.

I'm working on a 2531.80 Project Watch homage to it ^_^

A post in the offing, hopefully!

@Raymond: This is the only forum where I do that! On RWI/Repgeeks, it's been the same for months...take it as a compliment. ;)

It was asked before, and Admin replied that when we upgraded, the anonymiser went kaputnik. He didn't exactly say if and when it would return. I think it's invaluable and really basic to have one here, so if he's reading :bye1: please reinstall it? :)

Here is an anecdote about my interest in military watches:

Once visited a friend of mine, and her USAF husband in Pensacola, where he was being trained as a future F-16 or F-15 pilot (I'm sorry, he did tell me the correct plane model, but I can't recall. I do know either the 16/15 is a USN-only plane though. I forget which), despite it being a US Navy base.

That would be a F-15

My war watch

this has earned its rest in the box, its seen sand and snow good times and many bad and i wont wear it again untill i have to, and that is hopefully never!

DSCN3230.jpg

I'm not normally a fan of chrono watches, but that looks really nice. Who is the manufacturer?

It is Seiko SQ100 Pilot chrono, the one had have for gulf 1 was better though it had a white face and digital chrono so i could write the main details of fire plans in the face with a fine lumicolour (sharpie for the Americans) no mater what happened i would know where not to be at the wrong time as it was around my neck and if i lost that i had nothing to worry about any way.

It is Seiko SQ100 Pilot chrono, the one had have for gulf 1 was better though it had a white face and digital chrono so i could write the main details of fire plans in the face with a fine lumicolour (sharpie for the Americans) no mater what happened i would know where not to be at the wrong time as it was around my neck and if i lost that i had nothing to worry about any way.

Wow, I would not have guessed it was a Seiko, it has a real IWC look about it. A fine watch, and clearly one which served you well :)

Wow, I would not have guessed it was a Seiko, it has a real IWC look about it. A fine watch, and clearly one which served you well :)

TeeJay, me too!! I could've sworn that was an IWC.

Here is my cousin. First photo, still at Sandhurst, IIRC. Second photo, in Iraq.

I don't know what watch he's wearing but it's on a NATO band. Later, I believe an IWC Spitfire, but on a metal bracelet (wouldn't that BURN in the desert??).

EDIT: Two photos removed. Sorry guys.

(You can see him go from a boy to a man, in just a few months' time...)

FxrAndy, once again, as ever, thanks for your service. :)

Ms. Barrett-

Looks like your cousin left behind a devoted dog and a nice double gun (my two sons, about the same age, have nice doubles and nice watches).

Is the first photo from around Aldershot? It just looks flatter than p-o-a-p.

I'm still looking for the Mathey-Tissot that my father was wearing when he went ashore on Omaha Beach in June of '44.

But until then, here is my favorite:

post-180-1190416749_thumb.jpg

Australian Navy, 1958, a model 5510.

Ms. Barrett-

Looks like your cousin left behind a devoted dog and a nice double gun (my two sons, about the same age, have nice doubles and nice watches).

His stupid but nice [censored]. Come on, that's censored too?? It's ABOUT A DOG. Sheesh. ;)

Is the first photo from around Aldershot? It just looks flatter than p-o-a-p.

Heh. No clue, Carl. I'd be lying if I told you one or the other. Looking at the photo carefully, you can see certain tell-tale signs he's not at Sandhurst anymore, but I'll not edit/correct it.

I'm still looking for the Mathey-Tissot that my father was wearing when he went ashore on Omaha Beach in June of '44.

But until then, here is my favorite:

post-180-1190416749_thumb.jpg

Australian Navy, 1958, a model 5510.

WONDERFUL! And Tissots aren't my fave, but what is it about vintage watches that just look more serious, more worthy, more MANLY than even IWCs today?

Must be the prism of respect we look at them with. Not to mention who wore them. Thanks, Carl. :)

EDIT: It's a Vintage Rollie, but still the same applies!

If you're shopping, don't miss Howard Marx's site.

I've stumbled across his sight on several occassions over the past six months. He lists a Panerai look alike called the Marine Diver (black and blue dials). He says that there is only one left. However, the black one has been there since my first visit. That seems kind of odd.

I love visiting MWF, and would love to acquire some WWII era stuff, but I just don't have the patience to start a whole new realm of the hobby, one that requires serious knowledge in order to prevent being burned. Going to MWF constantly reminds me that I have next to zero when it comes to historical military pieces. Therefore, I will keep reminding myself to get a Marathon SAR and a PRS-2 Dreadnought. Both of them are currently in service, but are perennially awesome. :D

Perfect!!

But the first forum thread my eyes scroll to says, "Yuck, fake Vietnamese IWC being peddled from US now".

Fleecebay Item: 230173925943

So, they're not rep watch friendly...still, great find, TMG! Gold star for you!

Yup, they're not too rep friendly but a great source of info.