When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Big Pilot [almost]

XRT

I apologize for posting this non-IWC rep in the IWC section, but I wanted to get the attention of as many BIG PILOT enthusiasts as possible.

The watch is called the Nav B, and this is not the first post of the watch on RWG. An earlier (limited edition) version of this watch was only available in a gold plated model...too gaudy looking for me. I was hesitant for a long time to buy this watch...but a decent IWC Big Pilot rep has continued to allude our Chinese factories, so I broke down.

Steinhart (now renamed in the U.S., for potential trademark/copyright problems, Debaufre) has used the Unitas 6497 movement to create the closest rep to the IWC Big Pilot available to date. The limitations of using the 6497 to knock-off the Big Pilot is the lack of a datewheel function and the positioning of the subdial at 9'oclock (instead of at 3 o'clock...which doesn't matter to me at all). That said, this watch is beautiful and BIG (47mm). I have a puny wrist (6") and I can't stop wearing it.

The crystal is a slightly domed saphire with AR coating on the inside. There is a saphire crystal display back. The big crown is fantastic and looks almost identical to that on the IWC Big Pilot. The strap that comes on this $540 USD watch is very high-quality, but was too long for me so I replaced it with another one that I bought from Time Connections. You can see the original strap on their website (looks similar to the aviator strap on the IWC with two SS rivets on either end.) I have a thick (5mm!!) antique brown gator aviator strap with SS rivets being made for me now by Aaron Tan.

The blue AR coating is only on the inside of the crystal, so it not visible unless the light reflects off of it at just the right angle. The hands are "blued" but appear black most of the time, again until the light hits it at the right angles. The crystal's dome is very slight, but it creates a very cool distortion effect on the dial when viewed at angles more acute than 30 degrees.

The crown does not screw down so I will definitely NOT be taking this into the ocean with me. Having worn this watch for the last week, I was quite concerned that the large crown would dig into the back side of my wrist. So far that has yet to happen- probably because the watch is 14mm thick and the crown sits about 2mm above the bottom side of the case.

The watch shipped from Florida and was at my doorstep in 2 days by FEDEX. It came packed in a nice padded display box with the color Debaufre logo on the top.

Here are some of the pictures I took of the watch this AM.

watch1ha8.jpg

watch2qd5.jpg

watch3at8.jpg

watch4te5.jpg

(Details from their U.S.website) Link to site

Features:

Stainless steel case

Diameter 47 mm, including crown 53 mm, 14 mm thick.

See-thru case back with blue screws and a special "Cote de Gen

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice pics,,,,,I had the gold pilot and while it was a very nice watch for the money I just couldn't do gold, even with a brushed finish. This look really nice and I can't think of anything that can compete for the money. I ordered the airforce orange last week, but it was a close call,,,,,I almost ordered this.

XRT - Very nice watch. Other than the date wheel you have aptly pointed out, I think this is as close to Big Pilot that you can get. Here is another watch I considered:

It is the Azimuth Jagdbomber

B109_Az_jagbom_3.jpg

One thing I think you will find when you compare both of these watches to the BP is that they are a little on the thin side. I think the thickness of the BP is one of the things that make it unique.

The BP is 15.8mm thick!

The Debaufre, like the Azimuth, get the diameter of 47mm right, however, the Azimuth is an anemic 12mm thick and although the Debaufre is much better at 14mm, the 1.8mm of the thicker Big Pilot is quite noticeable on the wrist.

If I were to pick, though, I would vote the Debaufre as the best BP replacement - nice watch!

They are both very nice. But once you see a BP up close nothing else compares.

I wonder if the factories have even considered replicating the movement..and if not why not use the 6497 as the examples posted above and run the datewheel of a quartz? I mean it should fit and not be recessed if the quartz movement is placed over the unitas movement and should assist in getting the correct thickness.

This with a 1:1 case and AR should make a wonderfull Super rep

The Azimuth watch has received numerous complaints about the crown digging into the wearer's wrist. I suspect that the fact that the case is 12mm (versus 14mm for the Debaufre) makes all the difference. The 14mm thickness gives the Debaufre a very substantial look.

That's a fantastic price! I bought mine from the U.S. distributer and the price came to about $550 with shipping.

The cool thing is that you will also be hopefully buying yours with the original "Steinhart" name on the dial, which sounds more appropriate for a German aviator "homage" watch than "Debaufre"...of course that could be an Alsatian name ^_^

That's a fantastic price! I bought mine from the U.S. distributer and the price came to about $550 with shipping.

The cool thing is that you will also be hopefully buying yours with the original "Steinhart" name on the dial, which sounds more appropriate for a German aviator "homage" watch than "Debaufre"...of course that could be an Alsatian name ^_^

XRT - Yeah - I like the idea of the German name on the watch. I wanted to bring a watch back and this seems like the best watch for the price. Thank you for getting this post started.

Also, I live in So. Cal (Orange County) Are you in the Area?

Tourby- I think you are being way too hard on this watch.

Case quality: True, the quality of the case on the Debaufre/Steinhart is not much different from the quality of our reps...but what is wrong with that. I can't think of a new PAM or IWC rep that I have been annoyed by the quality of the case. Reps have improved so much in the last few years that their cases are not something that most of us have been complaining about (unlike the persistently inconsistent movement quality and dial inaccuracies.) The weight of this case is quite substantial...definitely more than my PAM Submersible rep.

Dial: What is wrong with the dial?

Lume: The hands and dial are well-lumed on mine. It isn't at the The Zigmeister Superlume level, but neither are most of my genuine watches.

AR coating: the watch is clearly advertised as having only an AR coating on the inside of the crystal. I am not sure why there is so much attention on AR coating...sure, it's cool to see the bluish/purplish hue shining back at you when you see the light reflected from various acute angles (which is present on this watch, just more subtly than a double coated AR crystal.)

Sapphire crystal: I have no reason to suspect it isn't. No explosions :p or scratches yet.

Strap: How can you compare the strap of your beautiful OEM IWC Pilot gator strap (BTW- it looks amazing on your watch!) with a medium quality "homage" leather strap? For the money, the strap that comes with this watch is quite nice. Granted, I swapped mine with a gator from Timezone because I liked the gator better.

Folks-

For the price point of this watch ($USD 400-used/ $500-new), I definitely think you are getting a Fantastic looking alternative to a $10K+ IWC Big Pilot. I am 'well-off' enough that I could buy a genuine IWC Big Pilot...but I would never spend $10K on one watch (of course, that's just a personal position.) This watch serves my Big Pilot hunger well...until that allusive rep comes out (purportedly in 2008...but I have heard that one before)