When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why can't all nations adapt to the metric system?

fitmic

Ha! Says the Swede ;)

1967 ring any bells? Think you'll stick with it this time?

:lol:

hmmm...I have a vague memory of an englishman......on a golf course far up north in Norway....rolling his eyes rolleyes: and complaining, because the signs on each hole all the signs had the lengt written in meters....

It makes road rage more efficient, because you can stab and/or shoot on-coming drivers with your more dominant right arm, while still driving. :p

Close....but no cigar!

It goes back to earlier days when walking or on horseback you would keep to the left hand side of the lane or roadway so that you had your weapon hand free to defend yourself. None but a footpad or n'er do well would do otherwise :lol:

hmmm...I have a vague memory of an englishman......on a golf course far up north in Norway....rolling his eyes rolleyes: and complaining, because the signs on each hole all the signs had the lengt written in meters....
Drat, I've been rumbled :unsure::blush:

(*hmmm, do I admit to a bit of gamesmanship here, preparing a convenient excuse, or use the old R&A rules thingie, which says only yardage is official?*)

Close....but no cigar!

It goes back to earlier days when walking or on horseback you would keep to the left hand side of the lane or roadway so that you had your weapon hand free to defend yourself. None but a footpad or n'er do well would do otherwise :lol:

Ach I knew that, not quick enough though.

From the Romans actually, was taught all about it in school (grew up by a Roman city).

Similar reason why most castle/forts from Iron Age onwards have spiral staircases which ascend clockwise - exposes the body of the RH pursuer ascending up and forwards with his sword, whilst the central pillar protected the RH defender looking down. But that's an entirely different thread ^_^

Ach I knew that, not quick enough though.

Ack, I was sleeping and couldn't show off my historical knowledge for a change.

But who doesn't know that??

It's one of those cultural facts you learn alongside Marco Polo brought noodles from China and Catherine the Great died enjoying relations with her horse. :lol:

DRIVE ON THE LEFT OF ROAD COUNTRIES (driver on the right-side)

1. Anguilla

2. Antigua and Barbuda

3. Australia

4. Bahamas

5. Bangladesh

6. Barbados

7. Bermuda

8. Bhutan

9. Botswana

10. Brunei

11. Cayman Islands

12. Christmas Island (Australia)

13. Cook Islands

14. Cyprus

15. Dominica

16. East Timor

17. Falkland Islands

18. Fiji

19. Grenada

20. Guernsey (Channel Islands)

21. Guyana

22. Hong Kong

23. India

24. Indonesia

25. Ireland

26. Isle of Man

27. Jamaica

28. Japan

29. Jersey (Channel Islands)

30. Kenya

31. Kiribati

32. Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia)

33. Lesotho

34. Macau

35. Malawi

36. Malaysia

37. Maldives

38. Malta

39. Mauritius

40. Montserrat

41. Mozambique

42. Namibia

43. Nauru

44. Nepal

45. New Zealand

46. Niue

47. Norfolk Island (Australia)

48. Pakistan

49. Papua New Guinea

50. Pitcairn Islands (Britain)

51. Saint Helena

52. Saint Kitts and Nevis

53. Saint Lucia

54. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

55. Seychelles

56. Singapore

57. Solomon Islands

58. South Africa

59. Sri Lanka

60. Suriname

61. Swaziland

62. Tanzania

63. Thailand

64. Tokelau (New Zealand)

65. Tonga

66. Trinidad and Tobago

67. Turks and Caicos Islands

68. Tuvalu

69. Uganda

70. United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)

71. Virgin Islands (British)

72. Virgin Islands (US)

73. Zambia

74. Zimbabwe

DRIVE ON THE RIGHT OF ROAD COUNTRIES (driver on the left-side)

1. Afghanistan

2. Albania

3. Algeria

4. American Samoa

5. Andorra

6. Angola

7. Argentina

8. Armenia

9. Aruba

10. Austria

11. Azerbaijan

12. Bahrain

13. Belarus

14. Belgium

15. Belize

16. Benin

17. Bolivia

18. Bosnia and Herzegovina

19. Brazil

20. British Indian Ocean Territory (Diego Garc

Since we are all going to use the metric system, the same currency, etc., etc., I guess we all need to be of the same religion as well (even if some don't believe in organized religion). I am so happy there is someone out there that can tell me not only what I need to do, but what my country needs to do, as well as the rest of the world. It really sucks to have diversity amongst people of the world. Oh yeah, what language are we going to all speak? Just thought I would ask?

-J

WW Religion, easy, Muslim (just around the corner)

WW Language , wasnt it Esperanto?

That World Wide language would be ENGLISH and not Esperanto or even chinese....

-80% of the world's electronically-stored information is in english

-Three-quarters of the world's mail is written in English

- English is the main language of book, newspapers, arports and air-traffic control, international business and technology, diplomacy, sport, international competitions, pop music and advertising.

-English has official or special status in at least 75 countries with a total population of over 2billion

-A quarter of the world's population, 1.2billion-1.5billion, speak English to some level of competence, By 2050 this will have grown to 50%.

-There are around 320-372 million native speaker of English in the world, and English is spoken as a second language by around 235 to 370million people.

-Over 2/3 of the world's scientists read in English.

That World Wide language would be ENGLISH and not Esperanto or even chinese....

I'm partial, but I just don't see any other language taking over anytime soon. English, despite our spelling idiosyncracies, is SO easy grammatically, it's almost a joke compared to Spanish.

How is Chinese going to take over, if Mandarin speakers spend YEARS learning their BASIC ideogrammes at school?

Bismarck said that the United States of America choosing English over German as their cultural language was the single-most important factor in geopolitics for the future.

And he was totally right.

EDIT: When I say choose, I'm not talking of this oft-repeated canard: http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/german.asp