When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the Theme of Your Collection?

anton

Let's all sit down and look at our collections. Over the course of time, I'm sure you all have been crazy enough to drop some serious money on 10-20 watches (rep and gen). You have some that made you think, "that thing is so hideous! why did I buy that?"; others that you are in love with more than your SO (Significant Other) that they stay in the winder or box; and those who are part of your rotation.

What kind of theme have you molded as your collection? Are you a wannabe:

Pilot?

Naval Frogman?

Diver?

Bomb Disposal Expert?

Racercar Driver?

Mountain Hiker?

Socialite?

Middle-Aged man going into retirement with alot of money to spend on travel and his children and possibly moving down to Florida?

(that last one was somewhat of a joke, but they only buys the best kind of watches.)

And yes, it is possible to fall into multiple categories. I'm eager to hear all your responses; especially yours, Miss Strap!

Overall theme, 'movie watches'. At the moment, it's just Bond, with the majority being Omega and Rolex, but I plan on getting some PAMs which have featured in movies as compensation.

The overall 'style' of watches I like most, is definitely diver's watches.

My collection is mostly divers, but I do have a few aviation models mixed in too. :) I'm not sure where the Panerai fit in because they are of dive heritage, but don't really meet the criteria that most think a diver needs, so I will just call them a socialite group. ;)

Here's my current collection in no real order:

PAM090

PAM111

Rolex GMT II

Omega PO (biggin')

Omega X-33 (2nd gen)

Oris Carlos Coste

Sinn U2

CX Swiss Military 12,000'

Bathys Benthic (S-B-R)

Bathys 100 Fathoms (black)

Breitling Aerospace

Casio Pro Trek (PRG80L) (high end stuff)

Citizen Ti EcoZilla

Aninimo Polluce (black & bronze)

This is an interesting question. My collection is what I call an "all inclusive family". It has watches representing various different style and tastes. From luxury, broken FG Day-Date with misaligned hands to $1,000,000 Sky Moon to an $300,000 tourbillon rep. But, there is also an SMP chronometer and TT Navitimer to even them out. There's even a pam thrown in for good measure.

Sporty and large. My collection consists of the following:

Pam 187

Pam 111h

B&R 42mm pvd

Breitling SFSO

I've probably owned 25 reps in the last 3+ years and I've never owned a Rollie (too small and too many fakes out there). Never owned a true dress watch either. It simply wouldn't get any wrist time. I'm 5'10" 230. Muscular and have big bones. Under 42mm simply doesn't work for me. My gen SMP was even on the small size. I would consider a Frank Muller Conq King if it ever got made. Dressy, sporty, and large.

Pretty easy for me.

SS Sport w/ Black dials.

PP Nautilus Jumbo - MBK/MBW

IWC 3717

Rolex Explorer I

Rolex Vintage Paul Newman Daytona

Rolex Vintage 6265

Rolex Submariner

Rolex Vintage 40's dresswatch

Omega Seamaster Pro

Omega Seamaster GMT

Omega James Bond Seamaster

TAG Link Chrono

PAM Base

PAM Daylight Chrono

PAM 183

FM Casablanca

Seiko Black Monster

A few more... but for the most part they all sit in the cases.

I am wearing only one these days - exclusively (boring huh?)

This one....

post-22-1191335589_thumb.jpg

In terms of reps - sport watches with a strong emphasis on ROLEX

HBB RG bezel (for sale)

FM Conquistador ETA (for sale)

Brightling UEV

Tag Aquaracer

MBW Modern sub

Silex Bond sub ETA

MBW 1680 with Clark crystal

MBW 1665 with Clark superdome

TW best sub with Noob bracelet

MBW TT Sub blk dial

Andrews ETA LV Sub

Joshua Perfect SD

Joshua SS President with diamond dial and bezel

Joshua GMT Master II with 2892 true GMT movement

Add to this maybe 20 Gen watches that include

Rolex datejust TT

Omega seamaster automatic (Bond watch mid sized)

1960's Omega Deville day/date 14 k on original strap (for sale)

Rare 1925 Waltham 14k given as a prize for a NY AC boxing event

Gruen Curvex 14k from 1939

1939 Elgin doctors watch

New must de cartier tank large size with date

rado ceramic

1950 Wittnaur asymetrical dress watch

Montblanc masterpiece chronograph

1950's Bulova dress watch

Concord 18k ultra thin dress watch with fancy decorated dial

Movado museum watch

BMW LCD watch made by Ventura - automatic watch with rechargable battery (for sale)

Tissot dual time (for sale)

Rotary reverso (for sale)

All my watches are in as new condition. I am big on collecting only those watches that are in perfect or near perfect condition

What do you guys think?????

My theme is variety and balance between white, black, and other dial colors; straps vs. bracelets, chrono vs. non-chronos, plain vs. numeric bezels, etc.. I have:

Two Pams--192 and 065--one on strap, the other on bracelet (they alternate)

Two IWCs-- Ingeneur and GST (both on bracelets, the latter is the white dial version)

Four Omegas-- a Speedmaster, Seamaster Pro GMT, and Ultimate Planet Ocean (the latter has the black bezel with pumpkin numerals), and a "small" orange PO (the UPO is temporarily on a strap; the Speedy and small PO alternate between straps and bracelets)

Two Chopards -- XL white dial on a leather strap, and a Mille Miglia GMT white dial on a bracelet

Breitling Evo-- grey dial on a dark green strap (I also have the bracelet, but IMO this watch begs to be worn with a leather strap)

Two VCs -- an Overseas white dial on a bracelet; a rose gold Perpetual Calendar on a strap

Cartier Santos 100

My focus right now is adding a two tone or gold dress watch to my collection, and eventually replacing the Perp Calendar and Santos 100 with higher quality options.

I like to think the theme of my collection is reserved and understated elegance for everyday wear. My watches remain unpretentious and quietly rest in their place on my wrist simply acting utilitarian for the purpose of knowing the time........

My heavy rotation:

Two tone EVO

Gold Bentley

Gold Yachtmaster

Gold MOP diamond Rolex Masterpiece

White Gold Black MOP diamond masterpiece

Rolesium Yachtmaster

Three Two Tone Daytonas

Steel Daytona

Two Tone Omega Double Eagle

The every day mans' collection.............................. :D

Sports chronographs for me...usually the higher end ones the better-

HBB ceramic bezel, stainless steel.

HBB Stainless steel.

Cousteau Diver '06 model

BCE graphite

I have others, but those are the primaries.

I eagerly await the release of AP ROO with seconds at 12, as well as the Graham watch that is in the pipeline.

I like unique looking watches- therefore anything that looks original is preferred.

Another great post, Anton! You're becoming legendary.

Let's see...theme...socialite...too pretentious...maybe just right though...still...don't want to come right out and say it.

How about:

Early Grande Dame

A combination of power-watches which overwhelm when they have to, but flirty and fun.

I'm sorry, that's the best I can do for a collection of (since last night) 66 watches. If you can find a theme name for that, let me know.

The theme is EXCESS!

Over 40 gens and reps from divers to dress watches and everything in between!

A match made in heaven. Your watch or mine?

EDIT: Oh wait! We're counting gens too?? Sorry, I dare not include that for the shrivelling of scrota which could follow.

Socialite dandy racecar driver with secret aspirations of becoming a naval frogman diving pilot.

And Jfreeman...your collection may be many things...reserved and understated aren't the first words that come to mind.:D Nothing wrong with your style, those just aren't the first words that jump into my mind.

I'm 5'10" 230. Muscular and have big bones. Under 42mm simply doesn't work for me. My gen SMP was even on the small size. I would consider a Frank Muller Conq King if it ever got made. Dressy, sporty, and large.

There are two in Andrew's arsenal!

FM021A.JPG

41mm (available in white face)

FM003.JPG

45mm

Socialite dandy racecar driver with secret aspirations of becoming a naval frogman diving pilot.

And Jfreeman...your collection may be many things...reserved and understated aren't the first words that come to mind.:D Nothing wrong with your style, those just aren't the first words that jump into my mind.

Oddly enough, whenever I think of your dramatic chipmunk with handlebar moutache, monocle and topper, I think PRECISELY:

"Socialite dandy racecar driver with secret aspirations of becoming a naval frogman diving pilot"!

A match made in heaven. Your watch or mine?

EDIT: Oh wait! We're counting gens too?? Sorry, I dare not include that for the shrivelling of scrota which could follow.

You two have got it bad! :o:lol:

But as much as I'm tempted by those numbers, I can't help but feel it would detract from the quality of the watches.

What I mean is, there aren't that many replicas that are 'really' good. Probably about twenty, that I could think of off the top of my head...and even then, I think you could narrow it to 10 really nice watches that are currently available.

What I've found, is that with each additional watch, I'm decreasing the % of time that I can wear my most treasured pieces.

V, for yourself in particular, I can't imagine that there are many of those 60 that could compete with the DSN fiddy you've got.

I've resigned myself to keeping my collection at less than ten, and ideally five or six really 'elite' choices, so that I can wear my best watches the most.

I do not know if I have a theme, but for reps, it is a flight to quality and value. For the most part this means ETA movements (but not exclusivly) with clean classic looks.

I have:

-a PAM 029 with a 2892 movement that I was lucky enough to get at a value price

-TW Best 2 toned sub with a 2824

-Cartier Roadster with same movement

-4th and 5th gen Planet Oceans

-TTK's LV noobmariner with a 21J Asian Movement (yes this is the exception but it is a beautiful watch)

(on order) JLC Rose Gold Mastger Controller wannabe

I also have a couple of nice gens, but i do not evaluate those the same way, i.e. simplicity and value, because I tend to have more confidence in the complications holding up on the gens than i do on the reps.

I agree with the poster concerning having too many. I want to pare down my rep collection to maybe 8 in total as well as maybe a total of 10 gens. I bought too many at the spur of the moment and now find myself with watches that I never wear such as the HBB, FM Conquistador etc.

V, for yourself in particular, I can't imagine that there are many of those 60 that could compete with the DSN fiddy you've got.

Mezz, you forget -- women colour coordinate their wardrobes, AND not all watches go with the "look" we have when we change clothes.

If I stay home, I change clothes twice a day. If I have engagements that day, it's 3 or more. I never repeat clothes, so I never repeat watches.

I woke up at 10 AM. So far, I've gone from PAM 113 on Savage strap, to PAM 210 on NATO black strap. Early days...

EDIT: 3:35 PM EDT. Going for my 111h on SS bracelet after seeing TeeJay with it. This is worse than that drinking game when you down a drink after hearing a certain word in a movie. UPDATE 9:00 PM. HBB Aspen. 4 changes, 2 showers, 2 changes of clothes. Went nowhere today, just at home. :)

I've resigned myself to keeping my collection at less than ten, and ideally five or six really 'elite' choices, so that I can wear my best watches the most.

I just can't see myself selling my watches. Even those that get zero-wrist time (like the Breguet "Tourbillon" I got from Narikaa).

Don't know how you people do it. Don't you get emotionally attached to your watches??

(Somehow, I think the answer is "no, I want the money instead"...)