When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the Theme of Your Collection?

anton

I started with a Speedy Pro from EL as I loved the Moon landings and the history that went with it. In fact I loved the watch so much I went for the gen.

I have had -

Omega SMP Bond

Omega Speedy Pro

IWC Portuguese

IWC FA Jones

PAM 196 7750

PAM 005

PO 42mm

All of these went to fund the gen Speedy.

I've got the ones in my sig left. Quality not quantity for me. I don't have a type of watch I go for, the watch needs to be aesthetically pleasing and have something interesting about it, its history, history of the company or it just speaks to me. I've tried to get reps with the same mvmt as the gen and modded them to look as realistic as possible. (The Sekonda was my first proper 'wind up' watch for my 16th)

DSCN1519.jpg

I've been thinking about this one and I'd have to say my theme is decent watches.

There's a hint of diver, secret agent, playboy and bon vivant in my collection, with a large side-order of adventurer.

The Panerais I have are all iconic (111, 183, 187, 127) and I have a Rolex 1665, 1680 and a brace of 16610s. A Planet Ocean is the sole Omega, but I have a Navitimer, Chrono Avenger and SFSO in the Breitling camp and a handful of IWCs, from the stylish-but-dead Portuguese Chrono, to the classy pilot's 3717 passing through the Aquatimer 2000 and titanium GST Chrono. On top of that are a few odd-balls like a 60s Poljot dress watch giving hints of cold war opulence and a 70s Tissot Seastar alluding to an adventurous youth.

So, apart from blatant dress watches, I have everything a modern adventurer/bon vivant would need.

I've appreciated all your responses; even more so of the seasoned and savvy members. According to the replies posted in this thread, many of you bring a whole new meaning to watch collecting and what it takes to appreciate the style of the times and/or the designs of the watches. Perhaps it's your lifestyle that determines what kind of watch you wear. It could be the movies you watch that make you feel like the "hero" of the moment when you wear that watch that Mr. Superhero wears on TV. It could be your fantasy. Or maybe it's just the emotional euphoria you receive when you look at the art involved with the watch. All of you are unique in the watches you choose and how you choose them.

I've realized that in my personal collection that my collection is slowly growing into an aviation theme. Perhaps it's that I've been flying quite alot over the past couple of months; but one thing I do know is that it's always been my fantasy to be some type of renowned pilot, traveling across the globe at will while being an ambassador for Breitling or IWC.

But then again, *sign*.... I'm not John Travolta. At least I can live out my fantasy within my watches. ^_^

My theme of 'movie watches', is partly down to the fact that I was a student of film studies (I'm technically, a qualified film maker :lol: ) and my overall collecting passion is for TV/Movie memorabelia. I have a phaser rifle from Star Trek: First Contact, resin sculpts of the lightsabers used by Samuel L. Jackson and Liam Neeson, a replica of the jacket Tom Cruise wore in Minority Report, one of the hero swords from the Highlander TV series, one of Blade's swords, and assorted other nicknacks. My collection is nowhere near as extensive as some collectors, but I have a few nice pieces. For me, watches are a way of collecting something from movies which don't really have any 'collectable items'. Something I have been looking for for well over a decade, is the black and grey T-Shirt worn by Kurt Russell in Tango & Cash... A future project (probably within the year) will be to create a faux-front of an old British police phone box, just like the Doctor's TARDIS (I have four different replicas of the Sonic Screwdriver) which is to go over the front door of the narrow boat-sized 'shed' my fiance and I are converting to live in. It has greenary round the door, and my guinea pig hutches disguise the majority of the shed's structure, so if a TARDIS 'front' was placed infront of the door, it would have, at first glance, the impression of being larger on the inside than the outside :D

It could be the movies you watch that make you feel like the "hero" of the moment when you wear that watch that Mr. Superhero wears on TV. It could be your fantasy.

This works on both a conscious and subconscious level. I've come to realise I wear a black PO because Bond wears one and I'm ok with that, even if it makes me a victim of marketing, with the caveat that I'm not really as it's a rep ... oops.

Allowing yourself dreams and fantasies is very important. Never let anyone take that away from you.

Nice thread, when I first joined, I only had 3 genuines...Rolex TT sub, SS Sub, and a Cartier Francais SS Tank...I was looking for a SS Daytona knowing that at that time, I would not be dropping $10k for the chrono even though that was my Holy Grail watch.

Fast forward 3 years later I still have my 3 gens but:

ziggified=relume, service movement, fix canon pin if applicable

THESE ARE MY KEEPEERS:

Panerai 111h (ARed, Mario Paci strap)

Panerai 113 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM tan calf)

Panerai 127 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM black calf)

Panerai 063 (ARed, Ziggified, 2892, Mario Paci black calf)

Panerai 187

Panerai 192

Panerai 183 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM brown gator)

Panerai 196 (ARed, Ziggified, 7753, genuine Crown, , OEM black gator, Lello datewheel next)

Panerai 212 (ARed, Ziggified, 7753, genuine Crown, Mario Paci black calf)

Panerai 231 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM brown gator)

Panerai 251 (ARed, Ziggified, 7753, Mario Paci dark brown calf)

IWC 3717 (Ziggified, eta day/date swap, eta 7750 swap)

IWC Ingy SS (Double Ared, Ziggified)

IWC Ingy Chrono SS (Double Ared, Ziggified)

IWC Portguese Chrono Panda (HK Tan Black alligator strap)

Omega Planet Ocean (Double ARed, Ziggified)

Cartier Santos 100 (HK Tan dark brown alligator strap)

Breitling Superocean White on OEM black rubber

Breitling GT White (Double Ared, Ziggified)

Breitling Evolution White face on OEM black calf strap

Hublot Big Bang SS Ceramic

Hubot Big Bang SS (Ziggified)

Frank Muller Eddie Lee GB 18k Gold Casablanca with 2892

THESE I'LL SELL OR TRADE

IWC GST

Rolex Daytona SS White Face Seconds @ 6:00

Rolex Daytona SS Black Face Seconds @ 6:00

Rolex GMT II SS

It's been a LONG road and I'm overall happy with my choices...whenever something doesn't "work" for me, it goes to a good friend who is always amazed by the reps. Realistically, I should further cut down my collection as they all do not get enough "wrist time" as we call it before we sell it...For example, my BEAUTIFUL Frank Muller pure 18k Gold Casablanca from Eddie has only been on my wrist twice for half hour intervals...it was a wise purchase at the time, but this watch looks great with a suit, and when I'm wearing a suit, I usually have my Gen Rolex TT Blue Face Sub or a Panerai...so I should sell this, but I know I won't be able to get this again so I'm torn.

I think part of collecting is the "chase", always looking for the next new super watch, or constantly working on modding them to perfection...but the thruth is...you'll find your own way in terms of what you like as you go...as you can see, my Holy Grail was the Rolex Daytona SS White face...i got both the white and black...and they NEVER get any wrist time. great pieces keeping perfect time even with the pesky but correct seconds @ 6:00, but i don't have the urge. reps certainly saved me from making a $10k questionable purchase. good luck on your collection, you'll make the right choices for you as you go.

i've met great friends, great dealers, great experts who all share our passion

so...what's the next new exciting rep coming out?? not that i'm looking.... :victory:

THESE ARE MY KEEPEERS:

Panerai 111h (ARed, Mario Paci strap)

Panerai 113 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM tan calf)

Panerai 127 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM black calf)

Panerai 063 (ARed, Ziggified, 2892, Mario Paci black calf)

Panerai 187

Panerai 192

Panerai 183 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM brown gator)

Panerai 196 (ARed, Ziggified, 7753, genuine Crown, , OEM black gator, Lello datewheel next)

Panerai 212 (ARed, Ziggified, 7753, genuine Crown, Mario Paci black calf)

Panerai 231 (ARed, Ziggified, OEM brown gator)

Panerai 251 (ARed, Ziggified, 7753, Mario Paci dark brown calf)

IWC 3717 (Ziggified, eta day/date swap, eta 7750 swap)

IWC Ingy SS (Double Ared, Ziggified)

IWC Ingy Chrono SS (Double Ared, Ziggified)

IWC Portguese Chrono Panda (HK Tan Black alligator strap)

Omega Planet Ocean (Double ARed, Ziggified)

Cartier Santos 100 (HK Tan dark brown alligator strap)

Breitling Superocean White on OEM black rubber

Breitling GT White (Double Ared, Ziggified)

Breitling Evolution White face on OEM black calf strap

Hublot Big Bang SS Ceramic

Hubot Big Bang SS (Ziggified)

Frank Muller Eddie Lee GB 18k Gold Casablanca with 2892

:wub: :wub:

With your gens, perhaps the "perfect" male collection in my eyes.

Alongside any Rolex, especially a Sub, every rep watch man should have:

A Fiddy (...I'm flexible; really a PAM of any model)

IWC 3717

Breitling SFSO (white or blue)

Omega PO

Everything after that is gravy.

I have older Rolex models such as early Subs and Daytonas. Other than that I am all over the place with one Panerai, a Ferrari, one Cartier, a Breitling and two Audemers Piguets. But I do have a thing for straps, especially Alligator. I prefer watches on straps over bracelets and I guess that is my theme. Cheers

My theme is exclusivity or rarity. I start with Swiss movements either as is or transplanted and plenty of modding. That is my approach to gens as well. Current rep collection includes:

- The first swiss movement relumed CD

- Modded 2892/3's with crowns, CG's date wheels, cyclops,etc.

- Modded 7753 Daylights with old cases, crowns, datewheels, single sided AR

- Ziggy vintage Davidsen

- Watchmaster 3646 (still waiting on the cortebert movement)

- One of a kind Swiss HBB

- MBW's with two many mods to list

- Conquistador with gen dial and properly blued hands

- Breitlings with Swiss transplants and gen dials when available.

All relumed of course. :D My typical watch will take 1-2 years to complete. It ends up being too expensive but the finished product is more valuable to me than the gen - certainly rarer. :thumbsupsmileyanim: