When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The US goverment sent me a gift

omd

:huh:

I received this letter last week, I had a pckage held at US customs San Francisco for more than 2 months, The problem is that the replacement package sent from the dealer is been held in customs for 10 days now.

:huh:

t_customs1_12-53-085507.jpg

http://www.pixilive.com/uploads/20071002/c...2-53-085507.jpg

t_cutoms29670.jpg

http://www.pixilive.com/viewi/20071002/cutoms26675.jpg

Edited by omd

Troubling development. Sorry to hear that OMD.

Received 3 Rolexes via Frisco from Jay mid-September, so not sure if your original package was randomly opened, and then you got put on some kind of list, or if this is an omen of things to come for US Customs.

Thanks for posting it though (could you amplify the letter a bit?).

My friend 5 watches at a time will give them reason to believe it is a commercial quantity, hence the seizure.

Do all your packages go through Frisko? I would have thought they would go direct to Mexico City?

Ken

Sorry to hear of your problems. I only ship 2 at a time. Rather pay higher shipping fees and be safe.

You can also try using different names but with your address. For instance, Dr. Felthersnatch. Six months I knew of someone whom got caught with 15.

Cheers

TWP

Kenberg hit it on the head .. 5 watches ... should not send more than 2 ,3 max in one shippment..

the concern with customs would be .. RE-sale for commercial use ..

DO NOT REPLY TO THE LETTER ....

If you are questioned by Home land Security ... emphasize that you are not in the watch or jewelry business.. and that these were not for resale..

customs is concerned with for profit business'

You may be on their "list" ..

As I have posted before.. Port cities are the worst since 9-11 for customs... and Guess what SFO is..

I am talking from first hand experience, (not watches.. but i sat down with customs agents and they briefed me on how to do things legally).. if it was 5 watches of the same model.. that is not good.

Now, you may have to use a friend (different name) .. or have it sent to the Mid-west ... if you know anyone there... customs is relaxed there..

the other alternative but it is pricey is Fed -ex or UPS.. if your collector ships that way.. they use customs brokers who are not Federal Govt. officials and as long as the shippers paper work is in order it will be fine..

But bottom line is DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY letters that are sent to you and definately do not contest the siezure..

I had 1 box of XXXXX cofinscated and was sent an empty box with the wrappers of the article crumpled up and thrown in the empty box... the next time it was a visit by customs agents to my door.. luckily I was not home .. I met with them at the gym,.. I felt at ease there... they do have a sick sense of humor .. to send an empty box with the letter and the wrappers as rubbish

I've never read a letter so full of gibberish in all my life. Bloody government agencies.

Why not just send a letter saying "we've got your stuff, and its being crushed. Don't do it again".

End of.

Because bureaucracies, any bureaucracy of any country in the history of this world, don't do it like this. This includes the military and academia. It's their nature to obfuscate.

I know you know, so does OMD -- but sometimes one has gotta hear it because it feels bad to feel targetted. <_<

I met with them at the gym,.. I felt at ease there... they do have a sick sense of humor .. to send an empty box with the letter and the wrappers as rubbish

I remember the Gym visit, but you didn't mention the crumpled wrappers the first time!

Very interesting...reminds me of Swemoose's rock. I was certain that was Swedish Customs "at work".

I remember the Gym visit, but you didn't mention the crumpled wrappers the first time!

Very interesting...reminds me of Swemoose's rock. I was certain that was Swedish Customs "at work".

Yes,... 2 boxes .. value ... 900 usd <_< .. and all that was in the box from Geneve was the very nice wrappers that covered the varnished spanish cedar boxes .. it's a good thing the parcels don't come directly to hawaii since we are a MAJOR port city .. :thumbdown:

Guest carlsbadrolex

Just this week I lost a $900 Pam196 to the good ol' US Customs Department... Haven't received a letter yet, but after almost two weeks in customs possession and a new message on the tracking "exception / error US CUSTOMS LOS ANGELES, CA" I would think things are grim!

Luckily I only buy from respectable collectors, and even given the high value he is willing to replace it if not delivered by the end of the week!

Just this week I lost a $900 Pam196 to the good ol' US Customs Department... Haven't received a letter yet, but after almost two weeks in customs possession and a new message on the tracking "exception / error US CUSTOMS LOS ANGELES, CA" I would think things are grim!

Luckily I only buy from respectable collectors, and even given the high value he is willing to replace it if not delivered by the end of the week!

this does not mean that the package has been siezed .. it could be a number of things .. customs can "hold" the parcel for a long period.. i have forgotten the exact amount of time.. Iwas thinking 90 day's but that seems a long time in the back of my memory... if they have siezed it you would have received a letter by now .. but this is disturbing .. non the less.

My concern after all the trade news and negative publicity about counterfiet items coming from china..

Remember all it will take is a directive from the Attorney Generals Office ... and with the pressure that could come from the Swiss Federation .... all we can do is hurry up and wait...

thanks for the support

Actually its not the first package I have lost to customs, a few years back I lost a couple to the infamous Anchorage Alaska fedex station, an another one to a UPS station in Monterrey, Mexico. The previous 3 times, the dealer resend the packages an eventualy got them.

This is the first one I lost to USPS (EMS), and by the way, the letter came almost 6 weeks after arrived to SFO station. Couple of days after I email the dealer and they resend the order. So I think Im going to loose the replacement to.

Lets see what happen,

:(

Most annoying and sorry to hear about it. Always best to not order any more than 2 per shipment. More than that when it comes to watches is major red flag stuff.

Just a thought...and not levelling at the OP in particular

But

Just how reasonable is it for a buyer with a string of customs seizures behind him, and whose adress is patently targetted by Customs, to expect suppliers to continue gteeing against (inevitable) seizures??

Indeed, depending on the level of action taken, it's pretty much flogging a dead horse, and a waste of product and profit for the supplier. I think in situations like this, the suggestion of ordering things to a friend's address might be a good idea.

Just how reasonable is it for a buyer with a string of customs seizures behind him, and whose adress is patently targetted by Customs, to expect suppliers to continue gteeing against (inevitable) seizures??

This was a new address, 6 months old, I have received packages there from a few of dealers including Reg (5 great Montblanc Pens). Im not going to use it again for EMS packages.

Maybe the address is now blacklisted in the SFO station, Im waiting on the replacement package, in the past I have a package held at the dallas usps customs for about 6 weeks until it was finally released.

I keep my fingers crossed

The only time any of my shipments (2) have been held up and taxed it has been the SF customs. Both times were shipments of 4. I don't order any more than 2 at a time now and pray they'll go through LAX.

JFK seems to be fine (touch wood). Got 3 orders of 4 watches at different times. All released within one day.

The only time any of my shipments (2) have been held up and taxed it has been the SF customs. Both times were shipments of 4. I don't order any more than 2 at a time now and pray they'll go through LAX.

Yes.. I am told that Port Cities have the stricktest enforcement ie; SFO, San diego,.. etc Lax seems to be the safest on the West Coast..

good thing parcels don't come straight to Hawaii ... 3 am told will be ok anything more is a risk, after 2 or more my orders are split into 2 EMS packages