When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cousteau Lume, they are challenging but fun.

I don't know why, but I look forward to luming these models. The Bezel alone takes 2+ hours to get done, and requires a number of coats to get the end effect, but it's very satisfying when done.

Daylight shots of the Super Luminova C1.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Glow shot just after charge. EXPOSURE time, 1/2.5 seconds, F3.5 35mm

5.jpg

Same shot, 10 seconds later, EXPOSURE time 1/1.3 sec, F3.5, 35mm

6.jpg

Why am I highlighting the exposure time?? Because it's important.

Anything over a few seconds of exposure for a lume shot, is being deceitful, since your eye won't see anything near what the camera sees over a long exposure. This is why I prefer ambient lighting, and taking quick shots, more realistic and truthful of what you will experience on your watch if you decide to get it lumed.

In the dark picture, short exposure ONE Second.

7.jpg

Same set up, FIFTEEN Second exposure, check out the difference in the glow.

9.jpg

Special lume? Nah, just plain old Super Luminova, the same stuff the Genuine manufactures use on their watches. Long exposure makes a huge difference in what you see...

After the first few minutes following a charge, your lume (no matter what you call it or how you mix it) will look basically like this for the next 8 hours in the dark, (after your eyes are dark adapted, which takes around 20 minutes). You can see the time no problem, but your not going to read a book by it.

8.jpg

Always look for the exposure time, or ask for it when viewing lume pictures. If you see something that looks amazingly bright, it's simply due to long exposure - that's all...even crappy rep lume can be made to glow like crazy, given a long enough exposure time...

RG

The Zigmeister,

AMAZING Job

Can you please PM me an idea on cost assuming you are taking jobs for this watch? I did read you are not accepting new watches until 1/08, but I still curious as to the cost.

I assume a day/date wheel change is a good combined mod you could offer at the same time on this watch?

PM me a cost for that as well if you can, assume I would send the watch and a gen ETA day/date wheel.

I tried to PM you,but it bounced back...

Thanks,

M

Awesome job and an enlightening writeup, The Zigmeister.

are you doing any re-lume work on Bell & Ross? If so I may have a job for you.

Same here.

Thanks for the kind feedback.

I have done a few B&R's, I assume your referring to this model? Unfortunatly, I can't seem to find any glow shots in my pics folders. It's done in Tritec Orange, I didn't tint or colour it, straight from the bottle.

As you can see the dial lume has to be applied flat, otherwise the hands touch it. Same for the hands, the lume is flat on them. It's no where near the glow of C3, but about C1 brightness in the dark.

1.jpg

2.jpg

RG

im on The Zigmeister's schedule for the last week of Oct. for a relume and service on my Cousteau ...i cant wait !!! i keep checking my email everyday for my shipping and payment info lol .... hopefully i should from him by the end of the week ..... I cant wait!!!!! i love the way he makes this watch look with the relume beautiful!!! ... he's very talented man indeed

Lovely work. Truly an artist.

Once the "Slevin" Aquatimer is out I can decide on which Aquatimer to get (either Cousteau or the Slevin) and get it relumed.

Amazing job.

I can't imagine the patience you must have to do this. I would get frustrated and chuck it against the wall !