When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mon Blanc Pens

I would like to know too, especially if someone got the Mont Blanc Kafka pens.

Check out "Sichuan" and "Narikaa", both of whom are rwg.cc certified dealers. They have lots of pens. Also, they are reputable and you'll get a good pen. I have bought some pens from Adam, but I haven't seen him much lately. For all I know, Adam is Andrew.

Beanyboy

You might as well ask "What's the big deal with Panerai? Why are they repped? Are the reps any good?"

MB hold mid-to-high end position in the fountain pen market. Not right up the top, perhaps... but pretty damn good. They started as a pen company, only relatively recently becoming a jeweller and watchmaker.

The reps vary, just like panerai reps. I have seen banana shaped MB pens in Chinese markets... and have seen others that would look good alongside the real thing.

I guess to me, a pen's a pen. How much technology can go into making one fountain pen $200 better than another one? Unless it's just gold plating and diamonds on it.

With a watch there are obvious differences such as GMT function, chronograph, day, date, rotatable bezel, tachymetre, luminosity etc

I can't think what else a fountain pen can do but write.

:bangin:

Confused - sorry it's been another 13 hour plus day. :wounded1:

You can also get them fromm WBK over in the dealer section at RWI. I got myself a rollerball MB from him.

The only prolem with the rollerbalss are is they may not accept the gen refills. The one I have don't and there have been other posts about this problem as well. So right now all I have is a 30$ paperweight.

Eddy

I guess to me, a pen's a pen. How much technology can go into making one fountain pen $200 better than another one? Unless it's just gold plating and diamonds on it.

Guys wearing Swatch watches thinking excatly the same thing about watches.

What a watch can do ?? Can only tell time.

I will agree that a pen can only write (watch more or less can only tell time) but you will be amazed with the variety of FPs around the world.

Watches will never even come close to these numbers.

And by the way, thinking of 200 usd for a FP you are rather into a med-low range of FPs.

Think 700 usd for a colectors item. Think 1500 Usd for a rare piece.

On the other hand , rep FPs are years behind the rep watches. Rep FPs still have a long way to go.

As you understand I am an FP lover and collector (have 30+ FPs).

I understand that not everybody shares my passion.

:)

I stopped usiing fountain pens when I left school!

If the rep pens don't take the genuine refills (how much are these?) what's the point?

How much are the rollerballs and how much are the refills and do they take them ?

Here's my opinion on pens for what it's worth.

A fountain pen is like an automatic watch. A rollerball or ballpoint is like a quartz.

There are many variations on the quality of fountain pens. The good ones are made with gold tips, which, being made of a soft metal, shape themselves through use to the hand of the user. You get a big spectrum of quality with these. Some are hand finished, some use very exotic materials, and of course in the secondary market the availability of the rare ones determines the price...many thousands of dollars.

Mont Blanc doesn't make the best pen by any means. (I used to sell them). Their trick is that they have established their brand name through brilliant marketing, so they can sell for alot more than, let's say, a Waterman. Some people think that Waterman is the top, but gets overshadowed by MB...(I know, I know, the paralells are frightening). MB uses plastic bodies, while the really good ones use brass, and the heft and balance is just not up there. If you're looking to impress, get a MB, if you want a fine timepiec...rather, pen, then get a Waterman. Oh, btw, if you just want something that writes, get a ball point...they're much more accurate and less of a pain in the ass.

Yeah, it's the same old crap, different industry.

anyone know if the gen replacement ink tube will fit in to the rep case?

This question has been posted many times but I haven't seen an answer on who's pen will fit gen replacements?

Anyone tried ????

It depends on the particular models. Assume that a genuine refill will not fit without some slight modifications to either the pen or refill. I've seen posts about adding a spring to the end of the refill, or drilling out the tip of the pen to make it a bit bigger. Generic refills (Parker, etc.) have been known to fit directly into others.

That's my biggest problem with rep pens. The ink delivery generally sucks on the reps, and it' hard to find something that will work without some trial and error.

Its simple, the reason people pay so much for a pen is because of the name, and to show off that you have enough disposable income to buy it.

Its the same for a watch, why spend the crazy amount of money for a gen watch when a swatch or a casio will tell the time just as well, and some times even better (quartz vs manual).

I had the same conversation with a friend of mine who has about 20K in his 3 watchs, and his reply to me was "Simple, i'm 24 and I want to show off that I have money, thats why."

We are all about the image, what you wear is a reflection of where you place in society. This is why people want to have replicas, brcause they want to have the image of having money, so people will treat them that way.

And for the people that claim its not about the name, its about the watch, well if that was the case you could buy replica watchs that don't have the name brand on it for a lot less, so why did you buy the expensive replica?

• 2 years later...

The best and most popular pen for the businessman is the Mont Blanc 164 Ballpoint.

I have yet to see one repped properly. It's a twist.

Yet this one here is a cap, which is of course wrong.

I would not sell this wrong pen if I were a rep dealer out of fear that if I allowed poorly repped pens to market, that my customers would feel I would do the same with my watches.

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...;products_id=38