When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Rolex show last weekend

Nanuq

The traveling Rolex show got to my local AD this last weekend, and I happened to be downtown. So I just HAD to wander in there... wow did they have some nice stuff! Some really gaudy stuff too... :yuk:

Guys in expensive suits were hanging around offering to show watches to people that showed interest, and I hung out at the GMT display a bit too long... the sales guys descended like locusts. One offered to show me the new GMT, and I offered up the opinion that all real Rolexes have acrylic crystals. He scoffed a bit, and remarked on how they get so scratched up. I said "yeah but a Rolex is meant to be USED, not stored in a safe." He agreed, eyeballed my bluejeans and polar fleece jacket, then saw a hint of Oyster showing at my sleeve. He asked to see my watch, and I felt a replay coming on... I happened to be wearing my newest, so I popped open the clasp and carefully handed it to him.

While he wasn't stricken completely speechless like the last guy, I can guarantee he wasn't prepared for it. I said "See? scratches just make it look all that much nicer" and he smiled and agreed.

:tu:

Kudos.....and the plastic hides the greasy fingerprints from those oily suits.

I guess it is probably relevant to mention that I wore my DRSD to a local AD over the weekend and tried on some Pateks.

Image38-1.jpg

When I removed the DRSD from my wrist, casually setting it on the counter, the sales woman just said, "Oh, nice." And then proceeded to show me an even nicer platinum 5127. Nice, but I left with my DRSD....and no fingerprints.

• 2 weeks later...
I love Nanuq's stories. Putting snobs in their place :-)

I can see that being great, but with gens only and not reps. If he is doing that with Reps then thats just sad, trying to fool others when your the actual fool with a rep trying to be gen. I just don't think thats right fooling others with a rep thats all. But if its Gen, all power to yeah!!!!

So these people that go to AD's that come back with a story all have Gen here?

@ Yachtmaster - If his DRSD were a rep would it not be extra kudos to him for having the balls to wear a rep in an AD and have the so called experts fooled? After all if he never actually tells them it is rep then he's told no lies, they would have just shown their lack of knowledge by jumpiung to the wrong conclusion.

@ Nanuq - great story, and I do know what your DRSD is, so your balls aren't that big! :lol: