When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered my first Panerai

Dizzy

Hello everyone

this is an exciting day for me. I ordered my first Panerai from Angus this morning. Its the "fiddy" with Canon pinion fix and super lume mods. I already have my custom vintagized 26mm Panerai strap ready to go!

Hopefully I'll have the watch next week... but in the meantime heres a pic of my strap. Its a 26/24 and super vintageized. You never know.. I'll prob end up beating the case up in a cement mixer and sending the dial to The Zigmeister for the heavy water damage look / vintage varnish treatment to match the strap :wub:

Heres a pic of the strap. I dont know much about Pams... do i need the 26mm tubes for the strap or can you attach the strap without them?

IMG_2260_resize1_resize-1.jpg

Welcome to the world of Panerai. Great choice for you first one.

However, that strap looks like pure garbage. I seriously hope you didn't pay more than $20 for it. It's a $5 strap that someone bleached and distressed. And the buckle is a cheap rep buckle that come on the canal street reps. I don't mean to come across so harsh, but if you paid more than $20 you sadly got taken.

I've got to agree with Tootall here, that strap, to me at least, doesn't so much look 'vintaged/distressed', so much as just looking abused and worn out... Maybe it's just the fraying stitching, but if you put it on a pristine watch, I fear the contrast between brand spanking new and old, might be a bit too much to make a nice feature... But hey, that's just my .2c, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters :) I'm sure you'll love the 127 when it arrives, so wear it well :)

[Edit for spelling]

Edited by TeeJay

ouch!

haha im a Panerai noob!!

Yeah the strap was $20 plus shipping

ANYTHING can be vintagized!! LOL

I dont like the buckle.. i want the wide pre-V style.. i like it better

Well, since I lack Tootall's frankness, I'll now out myself and say yeah, didn't like the strap either, Lonnie. It looked like someone put Fozzy Bear into the wash with Clorox.

Still, the Fiddy IS an hommage to the XaMas watches, to answer kasigi, and that's why vintage WWII ammo straps look so good on it. I'm not a fan, but if money is a consideration, try to check out CharlyJakob on eBay. Cheap ($30-50) ammo straps.

Well, since I lack Tootall's frankness, I'll now out myself and say yeah, didn't like the strap either, Lonnie. It looked like someone put Fozzy Bear into the wash with Clorox.

Still, the Fiddy IS an hommage to the XaMas watches, to answer kasigi, and that's why vintage WWII ammo straps look so good on it. I'm not a fan, but if money is a consideration, try to check out CharlyJakob on eBay. Cheap ($30-50) ammo straps.

Just a word of caution. his aren't real ammo pouch leather. He is a shoe maker who uses regular leather and beats it up to look old.

Anything looks better than a brand new shiny leather strap on a watch IMHO. :)

I cant even wear a rep watch that looks new becasue it just SCREAMS "replica". ALL watches need to be "Nanuq'ed" as the saying goes.. As soon as i get my fiddy, its getting stripped down and thrown into bleach and my washing machine inside a small plastic jar of coins until it looks 30 years old. I dont care if its correct or not but i guarantee its gunna look "more real" than a shiney new one. I know a vintage 1950 is incorrect but oh well. I build my watches for me :)

GO VINTAGE OR GO HOME! :wub:

haha

wheres that new Vintage section anyways?? LOL

ps - check vintage army surplus stores for REAL ammo straps and leather items like that. I have a store near here with a goldmine of items like this.

Just going to say: not a fan of the strap. But if you are, rock it out. I don't wear watches to appease others, I wear them because I like them.

That said... that strap looks as though it were dragged behind a car. Repeatedly. My personal way of "distressing" a watch band goes as follows: wear it in the shower, (if your watch can't handle that, get the band wet, then install it) and wear until dry. I then scuff the finish a bit with some green scotch brite. Follow that with umpteen coats of shoe polish.... and you've got a winner. Looks like a well used (not abused) band. can be done to the most inexpensive bands too, makes them look as though they belong on a pam.

... that strap looks as though it were dragged behind a car. Repeatedly.

LOL yep!!

I personally HATE straps but the panerai is one of the ONLY watches that can get away with it IMHO. Im a vintage Rolex guy so just buying this Pam is a big step for me haha. In all honesty i will prob never even wear it.

Lonnie