When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

review: IWC 3717

scoobs1971

IWC 3717

Yesterday I finally received the 3717 from my trusted and preferred EU-collector Precious Time (PT). This watch has been on the market for a couple of months, but it took some time to grow on me before I finally decided to buy. So when I opened the package I wasn't expecting it to be this gorgeous!! :wub:

iwc3717img01333fu0.jpg

I was immediately grabbed by the luxurious look and feel. The dial is very sharp. The white font really stands out. Note that on the gen all the white fonts are clear white. On this rep the 'IWC Schaffhausen' font and the subdial markings are a bit off-white (see page 3 for a comparison pic). Also on the gen the 3, 6, 9 and 12 markers are thinner than on the rep.

It is a very basic design, which makes it easy to read. Except for the sometimes mis-aligned day/date, single instead of double AR and the poor lume, this watch looks to me like a very accurate replication. Even the slightly curved chrono seconds hand and minute hand are faithful to the gen. So do the markings on the back and the protective anti-magnetic shield on the inside.

iwc3717img01332qp5.jpg

The high beat A7750 movement seems to be performing very well. The hands are aligned very nicely and the chrono resets perfectly. Only while setting the time you can notice the somewhat floppy hands, a very common issue with A7750 movements. However, the sound of the rotor is remarkably quiet, which I cannot say of the rotors of some of my other reps. At first it ran a bit too fast, but after regulating it runs about 5 seconds too slow, which is not too bad at all.

Since I'm not the SS bracelet type I wanted to swap it for the black gator strap. Oh man, did I have a real hard time to remove it!! In the end I had to use excessive force and a lot of patience to remove the end links. Luckily without any damage...

Although the rep strap isn't bad at all - it looks decent, but feels a tad too light and too plastic - I have ordered a black gator strap from TWB and a black buffalo aviator strap from HKTan as the topping on the ice. Now what this rep really deserves are ETA day & date wheels, superlume and a full service of the movement. So in the near future this baby will make a return trip to Canada :)

iwc3717img0133zm0.jpg

img0127bv2.jpg

So far out of the box the best rep I ever got. .

This is how it looks on a OEM Big Pilot strap (=22mm, but fits between the 21mm lugs) with rep deployant from Angus with ETA day & date wheels and double AR from K2222 :)

img1030.jpg

Thnx for looking!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics and review!! I bought one too and got it sent to The Zigmeister for ETA swap, lume, datewheel swap, and now the crystal off to Chieftang for double AR. I also received a custom strap from HKTan. I will post pics when I get it back.

Second that..Welcome to the 3717 club.

Believe it or not, after EL first offer, I was the 1st member to receive this watch.

Was I a happy guy, or what. I have to say that with the SS bracelet, I think it is a true sports chrono.

With leather strap, brown or black, it has a different feel. Whatever floats your boat.

I have to agree that after The Zigmeister mods, it is the BEST rep of the year.

Wear it well.

post-22-1192740273_thumb.jpg

Great pics and review!! I bought one too and got it sent to The Zigmeister for ETA swap, lume, datewheel swap, and now the crystal off to Chieftang for double AR. I also received a custom strap from HKTan. I will post pics when I get it back.

You gonna have a nice 1000$ rep man...

I must say you are a nice but dangerous person !!

Edited by SAS